[Suggestion] Darkfield nanite disruption generator - affects the primary abilities of ALL classes

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by ttttz, Feb 7, 2014.

1. ttttz

Darkfield nanite disruption generator
    Lore: Complete BS 'Darkfield' counters nanite operation by who cares haha projecting a field along a cone of fire.

Operation:
    Flashlight replacement which counters:
    • Heavy shields - allows damage to bypass shields
    • Max armour - allows damage to bypass flak or kinetic armour
    • Engineer repairing - disables nanites used in repair
    • Medic healing - stops med tool nanites, and heal grenade nanintes.
    • Light assault Jump jet - disables jumpjets causing the light assault to fall (no fall damage)
    • Infiltrator cloaks - makes the infiltrator visible!, while remaining unable to shoot
    Graphics
    • Since this is now not a simple light projector, different impractical colours should be added. Colours could vary and have patterns. Win!
    Background
    The existing flash light conversion into 'Darklight' projectors allow just the Infiltrator cloak to be countered, this suggestion extends it to the primary abilities of all classes.
    The flash light can be equipped on any secondary weapon allowing primaries to still retain usual features.

I've checked the flashlight operation during daytime it seems to be not working, or only working during night time.

Stalker cloak and the Flashlight conversion to Darklight/Darkfield
    Darklight should not be made necessary to counter the potentially permanently on Stalker cloak as a balance option.
    I assume the stalker cloak is balanced as is without needing any external counters because:
    • The other two cloaks, Hunter and Nano-armour are affected.
      • These cloaks have completely different gameplay and balance requirements.
      • The Hunter/Nanoarmour cloaks are essential in squad situations inside bases - given the time limits on caps, medic revival speed, proliferation of the classes with the steepest skill vs reward curves (Max and Heavy).
        • These cloaks are not on half the time, and have a long uncloaking delay during which you are a sitting duck with less health than all other classes etc. i.e. They come with their own drawbacks and are balanced.
          • Skill requirement is overall higher than the Stalker cloak - need to maintain situational awareness, carefully manage line of sight while moving as well as the cloak.
    • Otherwise the Stalker cloak is not balanced when the flashlight is not equipped.
      • New players, players with few certs
    • Otherwise when the flashlight is not equipped other rail attachments are not availablemaking gameplay unblanced against other classes for not much gain.
      • All that is being balanced is one specific variant of one specific class, and this seems a ridiculous length to go to.
    If the Stalker cloak is not balanced as is because it's too invisible, my suggestionis to balance visibility independently - as it's a completely different cloak (no lore reasons not to). If Hunter and Nano armour cloaks are too invisible after recent visibility reductions then that should be fixed.

After the Stalker cloak is balanced the DarkField generator could be implemented.
    Or alternatively, my suggestion for flashlights is to lower the cost to 10-20 certs and refund the rest. Also more colour variants could be nice for making machinima, as well as colour patterns which change etc. SC flash light variants will keep with the Sci-fi theme, add to the graphics, and give more extra revenue.
  2. MrMurdok

The only people who would be hurt by Darklight are the few spazzheads that grab the high capacity SMG, and bum rush groups of enemies, head first while cloaked. Well, those and people who will camp one corner for too long with Stalker.

Stay on the move, stay on their flanks and you'll be laughing your head off at people who gave up better hipfire/ADS accuracy for the ability to see a guy standing right in front of them.
  3. ttttz

I'm suggesting that there's little logic to the balancing other than to dump a use for some obsolete mechanic on the the class role (actual infiltration) that needs most attention apart from LA. It's indicative of SOE's lack of attention to the correct areas in this patch(aside from maybe the explosive bolt, but that will be nerfed). If it's a logical move lets see how popular it is if spread evenly.

It's not a terribly OP mechanic, just something to be spammed when there's are good infiltrators around by the types of players who need shotguns with the scope drawn in hipfire to fight in packed CQC situations nside bases which actually determine outcome of battles (i.e. unable to see a guy right in front of them as you said).

To fix Stalker cloak camping (it's probably the cloak requiring less overall skill, with lesser ability to have an impact in packed CQC inside bases) an option is to degrade the cloak if camping for too long.