[Suggestion] Capture points

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Backf1re, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Backf1re

Since the capture timer is now standardised, I believe it's also the right time to start thinking about changing the capture point mechanics. In their current state, they only need player X to stand next to them, as we already know this can be any class except the MAX.

What I suggest is that hacking mechanics be introduced for the capture point, thus giving the infiltrator a bigger role in the battle. This will encourage more teamwork in the initial stages of attack as faction X will have to secure the room and defend it from faction Y until infiltrators secure the capture point.

To also greatly influence a capture points importance, I also suggest we introduce benefits for keeping them secure. I think subtle yet noticeable bonuses such as keeping the base turrets active or allowing vehicles to be constructed should be used.

Discuss.
    • Up x 2
  2. Ash87

There have been numerous suggestions that there be additional objectives added to even small facilities. In that way, you have to bypass certain things before you can start "Capping" the point. Suggestions I have read include doors, shields, generators, force fields, Control rooms.

I've seen the NTU system be brought up numerous times.

Also there has been people pitching the idea of giving each of these facilities different uses. Generators would power the force fields that protect SCUs and key systems. Command stations would control radars or cameras that give people a view of the base.

The furthest I've seen it taken, would also implement a system, by which a facility would go neutral if it wasn't brought resources that keep everything active.
    • Up x 1
  3. nubery

Yet none are even being explored by SOE.

That's why we need to spam threads like this one, and not nerf whine threads.
  4. Ash87

There have been improvements made to base design, and that is a step in the right direction. The big thing is, that the way I have seen things, we're getting the game overhaul in 2 pieces, with a large block of time inbetween while they sort out the best way to deal with it.

So many of the issues surrounding how to capture bases is tied directly to the resource system. Right now we're just getting how to follow the battle, and how to channel the peoples down range. I imagine other updates to base design are incoming.

It's like the countless small patches we've seen that add things in that are not listed on the roadmap. As is, since they have at least acknowledged that they know the direction they need to head in, with base design improvements, I think we can say that these issues will be addressed with time.

Also, this is the second day of the test server.