[Suggestion] Allow us limited use of the "dev console".

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Ganhrio, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ganhrio

Not only would this increase our ability to recreate certain scenarios for testing, it would also decrease the need for devs / QA guys to do everything themselves.
  2. Kon

NO
    • Up x 6
  3. Ganhrio

Why do you disagree? I understand this feature could be very easily abused, however it is a "test server".
  4. Revanmug

Why are you asking when you answer your own question?
    • Up x 1
  5. Gadamlu

give a decent and well thought out reason why you should give everyone on an OPEN test server access to the dev consol in any amount.

you stated that you want limited use, for what limited uses do you have in mind?

not to mention, if we get the files for the dev console through the test server, i am quite sure that a skilled programer could reconstruct it for the main game and then all hell would break loose.
    • Up x 1
  6. Lafladitu

you know this is not their internal build so no dev consol for us and its fine:)

the test server is only for us to test things before they go live so most of the bugs are reported already and have been dealt with before they go to the live servers
  7. Parasox

This is a terrible idea. The last thing we need is more access to the engine itself - can you imagine the kinds of cheats that could be developed and refined with command-line permissions? We're testing what's going to the live servers here. Nothing else.
  8. Ganhrio

Functions such as current class loadout, ammo, and location are stored server-side, are they not?

When I state "dev console" I am not referring to developer (or moderator) level abilities as much as I am referring to selective abilities that would better allow players to test on the "test" server such as weapon unlocks, instantaneous location switching, and general convienience utilities such as instant cert resets.

I apologize for my concise (and vague) previous post.
  9. VSDerp

people would abuse it to much.
  10. Cl1mh4224rd

The Test Server is to allow players to help test things under mostly-natural conditions.
    • Up x 1
  11. Ganhrio

Would a more effective test server not consist of giving the freelance QA guys (players) certain convienience tools such as a cert reset or instant transportation?
  12. Kail

No. We're not the ones conducting the test - we're the mice in the labyrinth. Although we are also talking mice, so the men in white coats can ask us how things are going, and we can pause at dead ends look up and say "wtf dude, another one?!"
    • Up x 4
  13. Regpuppy

The point of a public test server is to best recreate the conditions of which an update would deal with on a live server. Giving players the ability to teleport around or change weapons at will would defeat the point. Especially in regards to testing battle flow.
    • Up x 1
  14. RadarX

Please be sure to focus feedback in this section to specific testing in order to ensure it's seen. Providing access to the Dev console will not be possible.
    • Up x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.