Suggested Certs for the SMG?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Belarod, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Belarod

Hello my fellow Light Assault brothers. I know it’s been a bit of a debate as to whether the new SMG is better than our previous Carbines. Personally I really like the SMG for Close Quarters Combat, which is what I and doing 75% of the time. So my question for discussion is what would be the best suggested certs/attachments for the SMG?

I have already unlocked the Reflex and IRNV sights, Soft Point Ammo, Extended Mag, and Suppressor. I am really questioning the Suppressor, but in my mind it’s the only Barrel attachment that makes sense with this play style.
  2. Ghoest

I like both the suppressor and the compensator.
    The trade offs and bonuses are pretty clear when you try them.
  3. Executioner Smough

Soft point ammo has awesome synergy with the suppressor, and counter-acts its downside. Works even better with the compensator. I always work at close range, so I mount the x1 reflex sight (NV for low-light activity), and laser sight for when I can't be arsed to zoom in. It's really accurate, so I don't recommend the extended mag for most situations.
  4. Deschain

SFA+Extended+ 2x reflex add in supressor if your infiltrator and on your side arm.
  5. chrollo

i would go extend mag soft point and silencer first in that order but honestly you should also get advanced laser sight and compensator as well :p
  6. kagekiri

I don't think that's right.

The SPA gives you longer range on your maximum damage per bullet (ex: instead of 10 m before your damage per bullet decreases, it's 15 m before damage falloff occurs), while lowering your bullet velocity (making aiming more difficult at range, and increasing drop due to reduced bullet velocity).

The suppressor hides you on the minimap even while firing, and decreases your bullet velocity (making it harder to hit moving targets at range). It might also lower your minimum damage at range...but devs would need to give us harder data to be sure of that.

They don't specifically complement each other; together they would compound a weapon's weakness at range by reducing bullet velocity even more.

It's High Velocity Ammo and Compensator that potentially balance out: Compensator decreases vertical recoil and makes you appear further away one enemy minimaps when you fire while making hipfire accuracy worse, while High Velocity ammo increases vertical recoil and increase the range before you fall to minimum damage while improving projectile speed.
  7. SIVLEOL

Two people in the same server could just do some testing and see if there are damage differences :S... both for suppressor and soft point ammo.... didn't actually realize until your post that if velocity decrease means an effective loss in damage at range it might effect the suppressor too. Seeing as no one has complained that suppressor lowers damage yet, I'm really hoping its not the case.

Anyhow, on the topic, adv. laser sight if you like to hipfire and/or fly and shoot (without ADS), extended magazine if you like to ADS and/or are fine with how accurate the Cyclone's fairly good hipfire is already. I recommend the suppressor as well.

As for the compensator, why the heck would you need to lower the recoil on a super low recoil weapon?? Besides, even if it was more recoil, you'd probably learn to control your recoil after a while, making compensator useless.
  8. Antivide

SMGs have stupid low recoil. No need for compensator. It's like BF3, if you're not using laser dot, extended mags, or suppressor with an SMG you're doing it wrong.
    • Up x 1
  9. MyOdessa

You cannot put laser and ext. mat on SMG at the same time.
  10. SIVLEOL

You don't say?
    <insert jpg here>
  11. Jake the Dog

Go watch levelcaps review of the SMGs
  12. Blitzkrieg

I use SPA, Suppressor, 2x Reflex and Extended Magazine on my Infiltrator. For my LA I swap extended mag with Advanced Laser sight for when I'm flying around.
    • Up x 1
  13. Heyitsrobbie1984

it would have been better if the magazines had a slot of their own. i dont know why the extended magazines are on rails slot
  14. Zeekez

Suppressor + SPA is a great idea for infiltrator, but horrible for LA, they both slow down the already slow bullets. You must be thinking of the compensator and the HVA ammo which complement each other.

SPA ammo is a maybe, it gives you an extra 5 meters of max damage, which is already pretty low, at the cost of slowing the rounds down.

Also devs have already confirmed SPA does nothing to minimum damage at range [yes I've tested it]. It extends your max damage by 5 meters, so instead of doing max damage @ 10 meters, you do it out to 15 meters. But at 10 meters and 16 meters the damage is the same as a standard round.

For LA I recommend Adv laser for CQC obviously, 1x reflex or IRNV [2x is sort of a waste with the slow bullet speed], and flash suppressor to minimize your pinging on the minimap without further slowing the bullet