Substantial Undocumented Vortex Nerf

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NUKABAZOOKA, May 24, 2013.

1. NUKABAZOOKA

This was a particularly unpopular weapon, and seemed to be shrugged off by most players as worthless, as the pro's didn't outweigh the cons, particularly compared to the Comets. My outfit questioned my sanity in using them, however after logging in after downloading GU9, I noticed that it seemed off.

Original values as listed here for the GU8 Hotfix:

New Values (Google Docs) post GU9:

Rank 1: 105 (No change)
    Rank 2: 190 (55 damage loss, ~22.5% less damage)
    Rank 3: 295 (195 damage loss, ~40% less damage per shot)
    What this means is that charging results in a net loss of damage. Why charge when you're going to be doing less damage per shot?

I understand that there are a substantial amount of new resists that came about in this latest patch, and I haven't had a chance to dig through all the data, but there is no mention of this in the official GU9 notes about the Vortex other than a tooltip change. This was already a difficult and unpopular weapon to begin with, why was it nerfed so severely?

Feedback would be appreciated.
    • Up x 2
  2. Bape

Guess they are trying to balance it with Zoe probably?
  3. Fumblewatt

It was clearly OP, fractures needs a buff though
    • Up x 2
  4. NightFalls998

Again, you got really big balls to have signatures with BR 14's in them.

Also, since ZOE is a sidegrade, they should not be balancing a weapon over some ability that people chooses to use
    • Up x 1
  5. NightFalls998

I like your sarcasm. you might want to add a :eek: at the end.
  6. Shockwave44

Or they could just not make it work with the ZOE but hardly anyone uses it anyway.
  7. Bape

problem putting a BR 14 in stats lol? just matter of time before it goes higher.
  8. NUKABAZOOKA

Please don't let this thread become locked because you've resorted to using personal attacks to undermine someones opinion. I'd prefer to have a serious discussion on this topic and would like to raise awareness.
    • Up x 5
  9. Cyridius

If you read a post on Reddit a few months ago, one of SOE's testers basically said Joshua Sanchez just puts random experimental numbers into the code and because he doesn't properly document anything he does they make it into the game. Most undocumented changes in this game are as a result of that.

Enjoy your bad weapons!
    • Up x 4
  10. Shockwave44

It takes 8 charged shots, 4 on each arm. to take down a lightning. Is that bad?
  11. Bape

Nah hes mad im putting BR 14 in my signature he is hating on me :D haters gonna hate.
    • Up x 1
  12. jiggu

AFAIK they increased it's armor penetration so it still deals the same amount of AV damage, it's just worse against infantry, however Vortex was universally accepted as the worst of the new three against infantry, so why the heck did they nerf it in that regard? I don't get this.
  13. St0mpy

Rofl he probably read this

http://thc.org/root/phun/unmaintain.html
  14. The King

Is it really that nerfed? I was maybe thinking about getting it when there is some SC double or triple day, But I think I wont anymore, since I know it sucks... I just wanted a little more variety to my sucky UP VS ZOE MAX...
  15. NUKABAZOOKA

If this is the case then the Ravens and Fractures should be doing a substantially less amount of damage against infantry as well. But a single Dual Raven salvo will one shot infantry, and it still only requires three Fracture rounds to kill an Infantry as well.
  16. Dvine

No its not bad, except you need to pack a days worth of food and supplies because it takes that long.... In a game where each and every gun has front loaded damage, introducing a gun that you need to charge before you can shoot for any meaningful damage is a flawed and severely disadvantaged design.

**** the Vortex and the Lancer, whoever invented the mechanics is not playing this game
    • Up x 1
  17. jiggu

Exactly my point, which is why I don't understand this nerf.
  18. jiggu

Lancer is fine, Vortex is questionable
  19. Dvine

Fine compared to what? A Marshmallow gun? A Pillow? Compared to the 2 other ESRL's its tragicomically bad!
  20. Shockwave44

That would be this man...

https://twitter.com/Arclegger