Struggling to get back into sniping, need help?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Wroth, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Wroth

Hi all,

So I've taken a looong break from Planetside 2, and on my return, I feel refreshed, with a new goal of just having fun, which I really wasn't achieving before my PS2 hiatus.

However, what little skill I had in sniping seems to have entirely evaporated to the point where the Ghost is pretty much the only BAR I can use without immediately failing.

Now, the games I've been playing are (mostly) BF4 and TF2.

It just seems to me that the way bullet drop works in this game is kinda weird, like in BF4, if an opponent is moving to the right across your screen you can just lead a bit up and too the right and you will hit the target, no problems, but in Planetside there seems to be sometimes hardly any bullet drop and horizontal/vertical drop, and sometimes my shots go wildly out of place.

If anyone has any tips for leading, I would be extremely grateful.

P.S I am mainly using the Ghost with a 4x scope, and the XM98 with a 8x scope.

cheers
  2. Frightning89

Sounds like you might be trying to snipe while moving...don't...ever....you get a nasty 0.55 CoF if you do (0.2 if crouched), you want that perfect 0 CoF from being still (I still sometimes mess this up and miss a shot because of it). Also, hold breath with 6x+ optics long enough for the weapon to stabilize before firing (this requires anticipating your shot). Other than that, bullet velocity matters, and has to be accounted for (judging distance can be tricky sometimes, especially if you're not used to the zoom of your current scope, I've recently swapped by 12x on my NC14 Bolt Driver for the 10x and my judgement of bullet drop is noticeably worse still).
  3. Frightning89

As an addendum: A good way to learn the drop is in the VR room, using the targets that are scattered all around and a rangefinder so you know how far away the target is. Note that it will be different for each scope because of the different zoom (e.g. 150m w/ 12x is 1.5 mil-dot drop, but w/ 6x, it's ~1 mil-dot if memory serves). Practice should focus on the 100-200m range bracket, but it's worth trying some further shots all the way out to 400m or more (I've logged some kills with both the Bolt Driver and even the Gauss SPR, semi-auto, at 400m+).
  4. CuteBeaver

Frightining89 its a good thing you mentioned holding breath. Sometimes we forget to mention the simplest things lol.

Another minor tip worth mentioning would be slanted surfaces can ruin your aim as well. Make sure your not having a seizure when trying to take shots while on slopes. Easy way to see if this is affecting you (as a stalker) is to cloak and ADS if the energy depletes while not moving - your technically sliding on the slope and the aim is being affected. Its usually pretty obvious jitter for snipers to figure out though.
  5. PanzerGoddess

Another minor tip worth mentioning would be slanted surfaces can ruin your aim as well. Make sure your not having a seizure when trying to take shots while on slopes...lol omg my video might actually prove something useful lol.... at 1:47...speaking of slopes...

6. Wroth

OMG Beaver your sig is amazing