Striker and Phoenix Still OP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Malebranche, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Markus.D

ZOE is OP just because it is ZOE and giant lobsters are able to activate it :)
    So humble yourself with ESRLs or just change the faction and start to use it.
  2. 0dineye

The striker would be fixed with one change. It needs to NOT keep lock on targets out of view.
  3. ploxum

I trialed the striker the other day, and it does seem a bit over the top. I quite like the idea of it functioning alla engineer AV turret, but i also think we can make it both cooler and more skill based than that. I remember a cool seeming weapon from Battlezone, the Tag Cannon, that shot an initial dumb fire round followed by a seeking rocket salvo if the target was 'tagged'.

I propose something of a hybrid for the striker. the first rocket should be slowish, and manually guided. If it successfully strikes the target, it should fire off it's salvo, but directed to the point of impact for the first rocket, not the target vehicle itself. If the target maneuvers, the Striker operator has to manually readjust the course of the subsequent salvo. This means that scoring a hit requires aiming, and it means that loss of line sight if the target makes it cover means it misses. It also means the striker will be a ferocious predator of immobile armour spammers and hover derpers, but give a gentlemanly warning to those practitioners of the fine art of constructive cowardice known as evasion.
  4. KaneSeere

This is what we in the NC call free certs :)
  5. Phaze

The Phoenix does exceptional damage vs. air units... it's also nearly impossible to hit air units unless they are hovering right nearby. I don't discount your success... I've giggled like a girl knocking a hotshot Scythe pilot or two out the sky that was spawn room camping... or finishing off a hovering Liberator that thought he had plenty of health left to make a getaway if he came under attack.

BUT - those are the exceptions... they don't happen often... and the weapon would never be any kind of efficient response or deterrent to air. It does not do strong damage vs. armor. It can allow you to put weak hits on armor that you couldn't otherwise hit. Weak and slow.

I didn't play the Phoenix when it was stronger vs. infantry - and I can understand those nerfs. You can still kill infantry, but I assume they must be wounded and it has almost no splash damage.

Were I balancing it, I'd extend the range another 100m and buff it by 1/3 damage vs. armor units and see how that plays.
  6. FateJH

While I like the idea, that's only one step further away from the warning on the vehicle's HUD that there the vehicle in question is being locked onto. People are still going to complain that it functions as an area denial tool, because now you're going to be concerned of that single rocket when facing the TR. If vehicle drivers already react like they do, that means they don't care whether the launcher is a Striker, SKEP, or Annihilator. The fact that the most feared weapon on that list is the one that can easily be countered by moving downwards or towards the weilder (if you can find him) is disconcerting.

Additionally, I don't know about other players, but I intend to use a lock-on launcher in protest of the absurd level of drop and lack of speed on dumbfire. Even if I have gotten somewhat used to it, I'll take that damage reduction in exchange.
  7. Kortan

Until you use it in salvo with a co-ordinated group, then nothing can escape.
  8. isLA

• Up x 1
  9. exLupo

I'm just annoyed that the Striker is better than the Ann in every way. The Ann's got a better first-hit but with how quickly the next two Striker shots land, the advantage is dubious. Especially when the radical difference in DPS is considered.

Were it up to me, HA AV would be mid range at best. MAX AV, Engi turrets and tower defenses would cover the long ranges.
  10. Patrician

All I can say is that the AA and AV kills you've got with the Phoenix were either already badly damaged or their operators were asleep. The TTK on an MBT by Phoenix is ridiculously long and gives the operator more than enough time to get out of the area or start repairing. One engi can out repair a Phoenix operators hits on an MBT.
  11. Timperium

While the Striker is indeed OP, the Phoenix is fine.

However, the Phoenix bug in NOT. Watching the projectile fly far overhead thinking that you're fine and then suddenly dying is really annoying and needs to be fixed.
  12. Mxiter

Striker => Annhilator on steroinds. (more exposition:need constant LOS, more damages)
    Phoenix => Decimator on steroinds. (less exposition, hit from/behind cover, same damages)
    Lancer => Hades on steroids. (more range, no warnings, more flexibility with different fires modes)

http://ps2-stats.com/weapon/infantrytype/rocket_launcher/
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AmUavphHXmIxdF8zNU9kci1ieFhyUlU3UW5zeUFzeHc&gid=60

The striker is an assist machine but is not as great as the lancer/phoenix to get killls.I agree that it can be a game breaking for people that ignores lock ons warning.
    Or they need to know how to counter lock ons (Flare-peek a boo)

Firstly, SOE needs to fix the bugged rocket's guidance, then, maybe it will need smaller fire and foget mode nerf like 1-1.5 sec ( actually, it's dumb fire after 3 sec if you don't keep LOS) or a total rework (laser/wire guided for exaple) to makes it enjoyable fore more people.
    Nerf or rework is what happens when people can't deal with a stuff on this game apparently...
    • Up x 1
  13. G3arfried

today has been pretty much boring fighting against TR. Was in someones lib and was locked on by 3 guys all with strikers(probably more ppl but 3 is all the death screen shows) and the lib went out in bout 5 seconds. Any esf gets ***** by 3 douchebags with strikers. Might as well not fly a plane vs TR. Flare it dodge it the rest 4 will still find you and troll you.

This game...
    fixes zoe within a month of release and striker is still the same since its last change months ago...
  14. GhostAvatar

Thats the thing I dont get, well I sort of do - because it is empire specific. It has no more range than the other lock-ons, same ranges as Anni, same for ground as the ground lock-ons and same for air as the air lock-ons. It has no different lock-on mechanics than the other lock-ons and it has the same bug as the other lock-ons. It even has roughly the same DPS as the other lock-ons. And it can only gib a flash in a single salvo. The only thing is has going for it is the extra initial burst damage. So why rage at it, but not other lock-ons. The only conclusion I can come to is the fact that it is empire specific and the other factions don't want a faction that can compete. The people that complain about it want to be OP and will achieve this by trying to get other factions nerfed.

Yet when the TR had negative bugs for a month on the Striker, I didn't see you guys crying out about it then.

The score per hour is reflective of the weapons effectiveness at hitting air targets, since they give bonus XP just for damaging air.
  15. gigastar

Not my problem that you chose to use a rocket launcher that didnt work.
  16. Blitzkrieg

Agree with the general consensus, Phoenix is fine how it is, no issues with it. Striker though is OTT.
  17. JonboyX

On launch, blue rockets were everywhere. Since the AI nerf, they're a novelty. I genuinely "ooh" and turn to look when I hear a phoenix rocket go past because, at least where I play, they're pretty much a rarity. I've used it a few times and it's fun - like flying a slow plane without lock ons - but not a particularly effective AV deterrent in my opinion.

I thought Lancers would be the most OP when launched, but given that I never see one nowadays must be fairly severely bugged. I'm pretty sure though when they're working again we're going to see some moaning on the forums. People hate being sniped by a sniper, they won't like it being done in a vehicle by a heavy.

Lastly; I remember what a pain strikers were in PS1 with the incessant beeping and it's the same in PS2. Given how short an immunity period you get with smoke/flares, and how you can restock ammo fairly easily, just a few of these things together can create no vehicle zones. I'd tweak it like the original PS1 version: lose line of sight, lose lock. None of this fire and forget malarkey.
  18. Satanam

I don't wanna hear your cry. Every ESRL is fine, even the Phoenix, and they just need to fix the bugs.
  19. GhostAvatar

If you going to take that attitude, then you can have the same in return. It ain't my problem or anyone elses here that yours currently doesn't work. Why not go cry about it in the bugs forum.
  20. haldolium

They never should've introduced the ESRLs in the first place.