Stopping and Shooting

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kallowe, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Kallowe

Is it best to come to a complete stop before opening fire or is it better to strafe? How do you move?

I've been having a lot of problems hitting people recently and while my terrible fps doesn't help I realized this is something I may be doing wrong since I have less experience with FPS' that have sprinting and aim down sights; so strafing is somewhat second nature.
  2. Tommyp2006

The short answer is, it depends on the distance of the engagement, amount of cover available, does your opponent know you're there, etc.
  3. KnightCole

Idk, fire a round or 2, A, fire another round or 2, D......but ADADADDAD while firing bursts just doesnt really work so well from what ive been noticing lately.
  4. dohh

imo it doesn't matter. whoever you're shooting at will do a 180 and kill you in two shots anyways.
    • Up x 1
  5. KnightCole

Only if they are aim botting.

Otherwise it will take a second to actually turn, acquire and fire.
  6. dohh

idk... today it seemed like it was everyone I fought against. Guess Im just havin a bad day.
  7. AdmiralArcher

some players have their sensitivity turned way up so they can turn in a fraction of the time it might take you to turn
  8. Cinnamon

Depends on the range. If you stand still at a certain range you don't get any real extra accuracy and you are wide open for headshots. Really standing still at any time is very risky.
  9. LibertyRevolution

You are way better off to keep moving.. You should be ADADADA the entire time your firing.
    Weapons in this game have horizontal recoil and COF bloom, so there is really no point in standing still..

If you play this like is CS, you will lose time and time again, see me sig for proof..
    Once I learned that you need to play this like its quake arena or something, my TR/VS stats are twice as good.

If you stand still, the server knows your exact location and you will lose most engagements to a moving target.
    You need to keep moving, you need to have the server trying to play catch up with your hitbox.

Go watch wrels video on lag compensation:
  10. LT_Latency

It's depends on the gun.

It's best to go to the training VR and keep trying different shooting methods until you find one you feel kills the fastest.
    • Up x 2
  11. AnnPerkins

I'm usually always moving. Out in the open I usually ADS for a sec pop like 3 shots of then sprint right away so I make them keep their heads down and I don't become an easy target.
  12. Typhoeus

The only weapon I always come to a full stop to fire is the commissioner. I also space out my shots on purpose. One shot every half second about. Everything else it's situational. I'm not a big fan of adadadad'ing and do it as a last resort. I'll instead try to rely on better positioning and try to avoid open areas. This means getting out of dodge the moment I get hit by surprise and reseting the engagement to have it begin on my terms. This means opening fire while standing still and hopefully being able to do so till the target is dead. But it doesn't always work out that way. As I said, it's situational.
    • Up x 1
  13. Killerdude8

If you're playing TR, Stopping and taking advantage of the better Accuracy while Still, is almost Essential.
  14. Killuminati C

^ This
  15. AzureKnight

I still fight (and mostly lose) to the players I like to call rabbits. they see you and all of a sudden it's WSAAADSSADASASDSA with crouch then jumping...
  16. WycliffSlim

Well, if they're jumping and still killing you they're either hacking or you have terribad aim. Jumping takes you out of ADS and would totally ruin your aim.

As other people have said, it depends.
    At close range I could strafe while firing and maybe through a crouch in once or twice if you're both firing at each other.

Mid-range it kinda depends on the, some the extra accuracy from not moving is worth the risk of getting hit more and others have pretty good movement accuracy so you can afford to.

Long-Range you'll need to be stationary otherwise you'll never hit anything.

If you have the jump on the other person always stop and fire, it'll let you bring them down faster.

In my opinion though, fire control is more important than ADAD'ing. There's not really any gun you want to be firing on full auto with at more than about 15yards. After 7 or 8 shots your rounds will be going everywhere.
    • Up x 1
  17. Paperlamp

It's very situational, some players say to never stop moving but I'd say that's taking it too far.

There's a small delay in gaining the accuracy benefits of being still, so quickly stopping to shoot at an enemy sometimes gains you nothing. Hopefully they eventually fix this, but it's a subtle thing so they probably don't get bugged about it much.

If your enemy doesn't see you, you're not open to too many angles of fire/in a crowded area and so on, it can be worth to stay still or even crouch for better accuracy to bring your target down giving them minimum reaction time. This is best for medium to long ranges, sometimes closer ranges if you're comfortable going for headshots and ready to move if they do react in time.
  18. gregfox89

Depends on the weapon really.
  19. Crackulous

Be a man and rush in like Jenkins.
  20. Hatesphere

depends on the weapon you are using the the range you are trying to hit at.