[Suggestion] Stop Punishing the Engineer for his team's idiocy

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Serialkillerwhale, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Serialkillerwhale

What do I refer to?

Braindead Assaults (Both LA and HA) running infront of a Mana turret WHILE ITS FIRING and dying.....the medic then revives them when there's a lull, and guess what they do again?

And Guess who gets the godamn weapon lock?

Really, if anything, the idiot blocking that many bullets needs to be locked out of spawning instead.

Anyway, the example that brought my eye onto this inane problem is as follows

It was Construction Site Alpha, Alpha and Bravo were holding out while Delta and Charlie took the adjacent area and we could cap CSA, I put my turret down in a position to gun down one of the doorways in, at the nearby box I was using for cover whenever the fire got too intense and accurate (Which, given that the VS have auto-aimed guns, meant whenever they realized shooting at the head worked).

Annnnnd here comes a braindead LA firing full auto while running in.

I get a warning, tell him to stop running into my COF, he gets revived, does it again.

And again.

AND AGAIN.

And I get weapon locked and we nearly lose the facility.
    • Up x 1
  2. reydelchicken

Stop shooting while people walk in front of you.

While it may seem deliberate, most times you run infront of someone it's not visually apparent on your screen, as the game displays you at a different position on your side when compared to their side.

Best thing to do is just wait for the other player to walk aside, or simply place your turret elsewhere if you're in a doorway or some other commonly crossed path where people are likely to run into you.
    • Up x 1
  3. Serialkillerwhale

The problem is, the MANA turret hits hard, hits fast, and fires constantly.

When I'm hosing down an enemy Heavy with overshield up and he's hosing me with his Orion after taking a fair chunk of my hp off with a rocket, there's no real excuse not to notice the 2-way, 10 lane highway of bullets going on infront, and anyone in there's gonna be dead in a tenth of a second or so.
    • Up x 3
  4. reydelchicken

Well yes, the occasional team kill is inevitable, but if you're getting weapons locked, it may indicate you're setting up in areas that are too crowded.

Generally I try using the turret as cover or as defense only, when attacking a base, turrets can lead to a lot of frustration as your team will be advancing forward, and this means a lot of people running by/across your turret's FOV.
  5. quatin

This.

Turrets go at the front of a firefight, because it has the shield. If you're getting weapons locked, that means you're firing from behind the front line. That's not how turrets are used.
    • Up x 1
  6. WyrdHarper

There are good places for the front line, usually at the top of stairways or areas providing a good firing lane towards chokepoints. You can set up a killbox with the turrets and other infantry and wreck anyone coming through. HOWEVER, this doesn't stop terrible players from standing on the stairways or in doorways and getting chainkilled by enemies and allies alike.
  7. DatatheGenius

You were the deciding factor in the fight? hahahahahaha

DatatheGenius
  8. Frosty The Pyro

you could try going toward the fight, instead of using bullets to blocking the way of the people trying to capture the objectives
  9. Serialkillerwhale

When the main gun holding down one of the chokepoints suddenly stops working and get overrun while most everyone was still focusing on their own chokepoints, yeah, that's a very bad thing.

Didn't you read what was happening? When on the Defense, there's no such thing as moving towards an objective you're already on.

Holding down a chokepoint and having idiots run into it and die while sending 10 or so badly aimed carbine rounds downrange, get killed by the crossfire, and try it again and again happens far more than engineers blocking up offenses.
  10. Xocolatl

That's the problem though--while Engy is not a full on combat classes, they're locked out of some of the best spots (with natural cover) and must be located in some very vulnerable places, simply because everyone else are too selfish and wants to farm instead of helping the team.
    The way I see (and play) it, LA are for flanking. You should spend your time trying to flank. HA I can see being in the line of fire somewhat, but that's why I usually duck when I play one. I don't see why you should try to run out, gun spamming, and hope to benefit your team.