[Suggestion] Stop Changing My Weapon When I Switch To Repair

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Yautja, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Yautja

Seriously, it's annoying. I switch to the repair gun, start repairing, my gun gets switched to my rifle or pistol and I accidentally unload on friendlies.
    • Up x 1
  2. Oakwalker

It happens, just deal with it.
  3. Jokka

But...it shouldn't. It's a bug, and while I've caught myself every time, I'm tired of getting accidentally lolshot as a max by someone trying to be helpfull.
  4. Brusilov [TR]

Would be nice if equiping an underslung noob-tube didn't push all your bindings a long one as well. I pretty much can't switch between equiping noob-tube or a non-noob-tube weapon due to this friendly fire problem, among other life threatening muscle-memory reactions stuffing things up.
  5. Nate

I'd label this is a bug not a suggestion. It is so annoying. I'm repairing a friendly max, then suddenly I'm shooting him in the back! Then I feel like an idiot and look like a nut.
  6. Korz101

From what I have noticed this only happens after dropping a turret or ammo supply. I normally just wait 2 or 3 seconds after dropping it to make sure I don't switch back to my main weapon and hose the MAX.
    • Up x 1
  7. Selerox

It's a very frustrating bug. I've actually managed to drop a friendly MAX because of this.
  8. Erendil

Yep, to my knowledge this is the only time I've ever been auto-switched back to a weapon. I've never had it happen with the repair tool before. Not once. And I mainly play Engie and am constantly repairing stuff.

Are there any specific circumstances where this is happening?
  9. Xasapis

It is 100% repeatable. Here's what you do:
    • Pick your ammo pouch.
    • Drop some ammo. You can see the ammo ghost on the ground
    • Game automatically switches to main weapon
    • Switch to repair tool
    • Ammo pouch physically appears on the ground
    • Game automatically switches to main weapon again
    • You shoot the low health max killing it instead of repairing it
    • Profit
  10. Erendil

So just wait until the ammo pouch materializes before taking off and trying to repair something. Seems simple enough, if annoying.
  11. Xasapis

At this point I just re-press the repair tool key, I got used to it and can compensate. I doesn't make it any less annoying though.
  12. THX1138

Some may recall a patch fixed this at some point. Was awesome. Then it got reversed after another patch and sucked again. No idea if it was deliberate or not, but I'm 100% sure the dev's know about it.
  13. Cirevam

This is indeed annoying but I just wait for the ammo to materialize now. MAXes seem to understand that we have to wait a second or two before we can begin repairing after dropping ammo. I think they'd rather wait than be shot in the face.