Stalker Cloak - Discussion

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Reavx, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Benevon

Because at <30 meters there is no worries about leading targets too much, next to no bullet drop with the Xbow and only uncloaked long enough to take the shot. There is a lot more skill involved with OHKing from 300m away, not so much with a perma cloaked instagib at 30m.

I've been in plenty of situations where the enemy is in a position where they are so focused on my allies in front of them, they aren't expecting to be shot in the back. If there is NOBODY else around and you start shooting, yeah they are gonna be running around and shooting every corner they possibly can. A distracted target is an easy target.

The crossbow has it's place, just not in a very aggressive oriented play style. Same with the stalker cloak (you can probably get a little more aggressive with the cloak with an empire pistol). But both weapons, IMO, tend to cater to a very conservative playstyle. I've been on decent kill streaks with it, eventually running out of ammo, but it does take a long time sometimes to get into that really awesome spot. It's not for everyone though. And when I want to play an aggressive infiltrator, I am grabbing my SMG and hunter cloak. It's just another option for a different playstyle.
  2. Dragonblood

Most of us wanted more "purpose" for the class. We got more purpose after he nanoweave nerf. At least we can defend our bases against incoming forces better as our snipers are far more deadly. And you need that stream of OHKs to defend against a zerg swarm....something the crossbow can t do.
    • Up x 1
  3. Skeith

no?

even when cloaked the infiltrator is ridicously easy to see when moving,reaching a good position in order for you to take down your targets is hard against players who have a decent knowledge about their surroundings,and for close quarters there is a counter for the stalker and that's the darklight

not to mention that hitting an headshot against a moving target is near to impossible

in my opinion if a target is standing completely still and doesnt notice the HUGE cloak noise before we strike he deserves to die.

forget about the killstreaks,stalker infiltrators have no real use in this game right now

ye they are fun and i had a lot of fun messing around with the stalker but if i actually want to be useful i snipe or i run down my foes with the SMG.
    • Up x 2
  4. ironeddie

Stalker let's the player get behind the enemy more easily. And nothing is more fun than appearing behind a couple of enemies and dropping them with pistol and knife. I play exactly how I was playing infiltrator before stalker arrived. Except I'm better at it with stalker and i'm just as effective with my pistol as I was with my smg.

Only thing I'd like to see now is more stuff to do related to hacking or other non lethal roles for infiltrators.
  5. cruczi

Just played a bit of Stalker infiltrator (cloak only at level 3) using the Hunter CQX, for the first time. I didn't get particularly good SPM (about150) but K/D was about 5:1. I'm struggling a bit with the rate of fire and the bolt velocity, hitting the head on moving targets is very difficult. But I got several headshots on stationary targets which did not result in kills because the target either got away or got killed by someone else. With Stalker at max level, and the ability to OHK... it'd be so easy for an experienced crossbow user to string together a sick amount of kills without dying.

Not only that, but it'd be ridiculous if any class could wield a silent secondary weapon that could OHK anyone bar Heavies with overshield.
  6. Tenebrae Aeterna

Well, again, don't get me wrong here because I've been anticipating a more aggressive assassination and infiltration style cloaking device as well. I've pushed my Banshee cloaking device concept several times over the course of the game and will be doing so again because we still don't yet have an adequate cloaking device for this purpose... With that said, however, what I'm trying to express is that the development team did better than I expected with an ambush oriented cloaking device. Sure, it's not compensation for what we actually wanted...it lacks mobility and leaves you traversing terrain in spurts...but the Crossbow does actually make this an interesting cloaking device that you can use to essentially assassinate targets within hotspots. Any situation where the enemy bunches up in an attempt to assault defending forces, if you can get behind them and find yourself a nice little nook...you're probably going to do pretty well.

Again, it's an ambush oriented cloaking device that completely restricts mobility...which isn't what we wanted in a permanent cloaking device...but it does actually perform really well in combination to the Crossbow WITHIN those ambush situations. Find yourself a location you know the enemy will frequent and stop to assault...that's where it shines. Hopefully we can get a more aggressive Infiltration and Assassination oriented cloaking device later down the road...but until then, this is what we have.

Despite everything expressed above, the Stalker cloaking device has its faults in the sheer lack of mobility. It's not going to be your first choice, in terms of an infiltration oriented cloaking device, because someone with Hunter or Nano-Armor will obviously have the advantage in the sense that they can afford to be more mobile with a primary weapon like the SMG. They need to improve and increase the role of hacking while simultaneously adding in a more aggressive type of infiltration cloaking device...

- Silenced by default.
    - No tracer.

There's a reason why our primary weapon is disabled with Stalker. You could work up a melee weapon with one-hit-kill capabilities...but it too would have to suffer some sort of downside. I've been working with a potential idea in my head for two melee weapons...one of which has a ranged one-hit-kill capability while the other has a melee one-hit-kill capability. Both, however, have a repercussion for using that one-hit-kill attack.

The first is a buzzsaw gauntlet that you can use to slash with for less damage than the quick-knife...or actually aim down the sites and rev up the blade by holding the trigger. The longer you hold the trigger...the faster the blade spins and the more damage it'll do when you fire it off, but it'll also get louder. It can deliver a one-hit-kill...but the sheer volume of the weapon would make it, essentially, a "Come at me!" type device. It would come with ammunition, making it a hybridized melee and short ranged weapon.

The second is a wrist blade that can deal damage equivalent to the quick-knife in its default mode...or a one-hit-kill through the alternative function. The downside of the one-hit-kill is that it activates a three second animation sequence where you lift the enemy off the ground by impaling them through the chest, or back, and literally electrocuting them from the inside. Hopefully a really cool visual would be coupled with such a thing where they start to light up, from the inside, with your faction color and flash a sort of skeletal xray view as their body quivers from the ordeal. So...if you're using this mode on an enemy with other enemies around...chances are that you'll be taken out as well.

With all that said...the first device is a sort of bait weapon that you use to intimidate or potentially lure an enemy that doesn't yet see you while the second is an assassination device you only use to its full capabilities on lone targets where you don't believe the assassination will be seen.
  7. Dragonblood

Actually infiltrating, hacking and taking objectives, is the only thing it excels in in my opinion. You can hack turrets, shoot vehicles with it, leave and cloak right next to the turret, shoot the engineer repairing that turret, hack it again and destroy some vehicles again. You can literally piss off a lot of ppl by doing this.
  8. MajiinBuu

I love the stalker cloak, I maxed it out and it's amazing. Infinite cloak is well worth the loss of a primary weapon. I use it with the commissioner or crossbow. Only threat is scout radars.
    • Up x 1
  9. Tenebrae Aeterna

Which would, essentially, be one of the ambush situations I'm speaking of. The problem here is that you're not going to be running throughout the base between hacking objectives with the Stalker cloaking device when you can do so much faster with Hunter and a primary weapon. Instead, you're going to be doing exactly what you just said...camping that turret and killing off any Engineer that comes to repair after you've hacked and used it against the enemy yourself.

It's a very slow paced cloaking device used for ambush situations...in comparison to the mobile infiltration cloak we all wanted.

They did much better with it than I thought they would. I had no interest in an ambush oriented cloaking device...but I'm actually enjoying it.
  10. Benevon

Within your max damage range, you're better off going for body shots on anything that isn't an infiltrator.
    • Up x 2
  11. Dragonblood

I think they should lower the time you can walk around cloaked, but make the ability recharge really super quick while standing still. So you can actutally sprint/hide through a base.
  12. cruczi

Only true if the target is full HP, AND you intend to finish him off yourself. Also, that's assuming you won't hit the headshot as reliably, which is exactly what practicing to hit headshots aims to avoid
  13. Tenebrae Aeterna

Meh...

I'd rather they just up the duration to 20 seconds at max certification level and design a real infiltration cloak. Stalker works great for that ambush playing style...so I can see it remaining alongside another type down the road.
  14. Skyfaun

I feel like the stalker cloak is pretty amazing, but you don't get any points for using it in the best way: Denial of territory. You got a ridge up there? doesn't matter if you kill anyone, nobody's going to get any sniping done. Got to deny the enemy that amp station generator? just stand on top the generator and get kills every time the engie starts to repair. want to stand in front of the spawn room door and spot everyone that spawns so they don't make it out alive? perfect. WAnt to prevent a ghost cap? All good!

Only problem is those flashlights.

Unfortunately, it's still way easier to sneak up on a group and kill them than to scare them off. You don't know if you are seen or not, and if you are seen, trying to be stealthy means you will die before you can finish uncloaking.
  15. Benevon

Which leads me to a question I have had for awhile. How the heck can you tell if someone isn't at full health? I've seen videos where the nameplates are much bigger on spotted enemies and a health bar is clearly visible but for the life of me, cannot find anything in the settings.
  16. AngersRevenge

You sure the video you was watching wasn't from a hack?

There is no way to tell if an enemy is low on health. At most you can't tell if his shields are recharging by watching him. The point when your shield start to recharge the person will get a blue sheen run across there body. Kind of useless though, because by then there shields have charged enough that it will still take a 2 shot kill. Unless, they are missing health as well, but then we a can't tell if they are or not.

Shields go from none to max in 4 seconds from the point the recharge started.
  17. cruczi

Situational awareness. You see allies doing damage on him, he's not full any more. You see his shields blink, he's not full anymore. He calls out for a medic, he's not full any more. A grenade explodes somewhere nearby, he's not full anymore..

And if you can hit the head reliably, you might as well aim for it, because even if you're not sure if he's full, he might not be, and if he is, the chances of someone else killing him afterwards are higher.
    • Up x 1
  18. Benevon

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/video-sniper-montage.174485/

That's the video I saw it. If he is hacking, then shame on him for posting right on the forums here lol.
  19. iller

You'd be surprised actually, a lot of players from certain outfits I won't name, actually stream while ESP'ing. They can get away with it b/c there's a separate UI layer going straight to the monitor layer where all the chams & healthbars showup but none of that is showing up on the layer the game is streamed at b/c it's not using DirectX to draw the U.I. He may also have had a Range-finder line telling him what elevation to shoot at .... or not... I mean who ******* cares as it's all a montage. If you really want to impress people with a video, you put together full length clips/killstreaks showing the whole setup and how you knew where to get into position. A heavily edited montage is really just going on a point & click adventure, might as well be watching a chimpanzee play Candy-Crush.
  20. Captain Kid

bump.
    I just discovered they added this!!
    It was one of my major complaints about the game not a cloaker like in Planetside 1.
    Yes, I am truly excited.

It is amazing!! I was running around surrounded by TR, killing with the Commisioner (moronic I know) and yelling out target spotted and they still couldn't see me at point blanc. I killed two "normal soldiers and a bunch of infiltrators while outside their base with fighting everywhere in one life. It was my second time playing infiltrator. It was hilarious yelling soldier spotted and seeing 3 soldiers at 5 meters distance and much closer trying to locate me.
    And then I spotted an AMS sunderer and proceeded to sit right next to it, TR soldiers all around me almost bumping in to me. No one saw me.

I would say, at least if sitting crouched, you are invisible at point blanc range And even when walking, they have a hard time spotting you especially when unaware off course.

This thing is perfect for hunting snipers. Now the hunters become the hunted; REVENGE. I must get me a silenced weapon for VS. (any recommendations?)

Well done on this one SOE.