Squad Deploy nerf exposes the horrible base design

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by jak, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Flapatax

Fingers crossed!
  2. Owleyes

The only problem with bases is people who refuse to admit they lost a base, So they sit in the spawn instead of setting up a counter attack or defense at the next base.

GG SOE got rid of squad deploy drop pods, Now people can get down to business setting up counter attacks and defense without relying on a bad mechanic crutch.
    • Up x 3
  3. Fortress

I forgive you all defending spawncampside 2 on the basis that you either have not played Planetside 1 or are just too stupid to hate.
    • Up x 6
  4. Sen7ryGun84

I'm not going to directly compare it to ADAD strafing (which was a pure exploit in every sense of word and action). This is a change to gameplay mechanics rather than a bug or exploit fix and I'll treat it as such.

I think anything that can stop spawn camping is a good thing and should be left in the game. Spawn camping is boring for the people doing it, boring for the people getting camped, consumes valuable play time with frequent periods of standing around doing nothing and encourages people to sit inside the shielded rooms padding their KDRs rather than getting out and making an actual difference in the field.

In my mind, fighting tooth and claw intensely for that point up until the very second it changes hands is the best option. It makes the victories feel sweeter and hard earned, it makes the defeats crushing and occasionally flat out heartbreaking.

If I had my way, rather than ruining SLD (yay a new acronym!) mechanics I would have simply put a delay on using high powered explosives after using drop pods to ensure that sunderers (and tanks to a lesser degree) could not be blown up by invisible people who are yet to render to the eyes of the players meant to defend against them.

These changes have failed to fix the issue that SLD was most attributed to (sunderer bombing) and have created a hand brake and made life a little more difficult for high functioning outfits and squads while changing very little (if anything) for low functioning squads, platoons and outfits. It doesn't stop skilled player groups from breaking out of camped spawn rooms either, it just turns a 1 step process into a 2 step process and STILL results in a sunderer or two turned into dust by invisible pod bombers. That's the issue I have with these changes.
    • Up x 2
  5. Ender

To be fair, the lattice as implemented in PS2, is not the same as the lattice In PS1. Good idea, poor execution to date. There's no cutting off base benefits (or worthy base benefits even), there's no draining a base in the middle of an enemy lattice for 15 minutes, before filling it and flipping it to yourself for 15 minutes, there aren't LLU runs, there isn't a global lattice, the list goes on. Esamir being a disaster is opinion only, most PS1 concepts would be a progression as long as they were implemented in their entirety and with a minimum amount of thought put into them/executed effectively.
    • Up x 1
  6. Sock

STOP LIVING IN THE PAST
  7. jak

Replies like this amuse me. You assume that because I referenced a PS1 concept that it's inherently bad for PS2. The same attitude applies (also in this thread) that promoting infantry combat means that strong infantry combat is a desire to turn PS2 into an arena style shooter (which entertains me as a BR100 that someone would imply I'm NOW wanting to change PS2 into arena style). The concept is very simple from my point of view - global, and by global I mean fights on multiple continents, combat where fights *matter* and infantry/vehicles have strong roles. I want a game that promotes something other than who can herd the larger force of zerglings to one area with base design that mitigates player skill. I want outfits of all sizes that have viable objectives and coordinate with each other to dominate the global war. Obviously, all of that is a much larger post, so I picked one aspect that would provide a better overall experience for both infantry and vehicle oriented players. Unless you like sitting in a vehicle spamming people that won't come out of their safety zone...
    • Up x 2
  8. Shadowyc

If there's more to the post and stuff, then post the rest of the argument away, so people will be able to have a full understanding of it from your perspective. Until then, people will make conjectures about your opinion-piece. :c
  9. Sock

Give me a minute to find my crayons.
    • Up x 2
  10. Flapatax

Jak.

I just want my prowler to move like a lightning and shoot tactical nukes.

Why are you oppressing me?
    • Up x 4
  11. jak

I understand your point, but my hope is that if you read the original post, you'd realize that A) I'm actually saying buff vehicles and give them 90% of the world where they're top dogs and B) infantry get 10% but MUST be supported by vehicles. It gives leaders tactical objectives, it gives outfits viable roles (hey, you're a tanker outfit...oh look, we NEED YOU), and it makes fights feel like actual progressions of a battle front. But, to solve the overall thing, we have to start talking metagame...and that's an entire novel in itself. Gotta start somewhere, man. I do get what you're saying, though.

::Edit:: "you" being each reader, not Shadowyc in particular lol
  12. jak

Quite honestly, if my idea were to come to reality, I'd be in favor of removing drop podding altogether and limiting spawn options to the nearest hex/base. Squad deploy takes you to your guys, instant action (lol, if it works) takes you to a fight if you want to frag around, and vehicles take you to important fights you want to help out at.
  13. jak

I don't see how doing what I said would make this in any way a form of arena FPS. I'm suggesting you need vehicles to even get near an infantry complex and you need vehicles to stop the enemy from making it an infantry fight. It would be actual (gasp) combined arms compared to mindlessly redeploying to where bad guys might be.
  14. GSZenith

wait...so i get this right...op dared question our beloved mod-02?! :eek:

edit: if you only could see my inbox :confused:
    • Up x 2
  15. Shadowyc

Read it! Though, for the nerfing of AV, it shouldn't be by a lot, given how tanks don't seem to have any stability whatsoever, more so when Lightnings try to zip around in an effort to, at the least, scratch MBTs. :p

And for buffing vehicle XP...I fear that will simply increase the amount of people driving vehicles just so they can get XP faster, with the slowly shrinking pool of vehicles they can shoot leading to just more spawncamping. Tanks and vehicles should keep the resource cost, otherwise what's the point of having resources? They'd just be there...being there. And would invalidate their supposed efforts at a resource system to supply our Forever War.

Yes to cloaked AMS sunderers. It's tiresome to be deploying my sunderer, and out of nowhere, several ESFs or Liberators pop up to say, "Hi. ssssssSSSSSS-BOOM!"

Edit: Lets face it, gamers aren't in it for fun, they just want to win. Anything that increases their efficiency at gaining experience in which to eliminate their foes swifter in order to get more points to eliminate even more people is always wanted over fun. Fun is typically wanted by largely useless players to get over the fact they're largely useless. Or just bored. Either one.
  16. vsae

woah woah wait, what?
    YE DONT NEED ARMOR TO CLEAR ARMOR, YE NEED LOCKONZ
  17. NB88

1. No, no, no, just no, seriously no. Though i would like to see quite a bit more cover from vehicle spammers, i don't want full cover, it just destroys the creativity you NEED to get out of the situation. Sometimes you can get out of the situation, sometimes you just have to fall back and if you know there is a vehicle zerg just spam AV to keep them at bay.

2. Again, no, no, no, just no, seriously no. Infantry AV capability's are pretty much where they belong, cheap and effective (though the Mana AV turret could use a bit of tweaking in my opinion). Vehicles are powerfull against infantry with the right weapons, infantry can bite back with the right weapons. Just as its supposed to be. Nerfing AV might also put the empire that has no resources to spend (when warpgated) at a more difficult possition then it already is.

3. Vehicles already give quite a bit of XP, but i agree that shooting 10 infantry within 2 seconds is more rewarding then one tank every 5 minutes. A slight increase would be welcome.

4. No, no, no, just no, seriously no. By removing the resources people will just spam and spam the stuff only having to wait a few minutes for a new one. This would break the game if you ask me. Right now you have to take priority on some things and spawn vehicles that you have the resources for and work with the situation you are in. Without the need of resources you just can spawn what ever because it wont matter if you die or not, you can just spawn another or something else within seconds/minutes.

5. Never played PS1 so i cant comment on this.

Don't dumb this game down any further, team play should be promoted not single play. You should be asking for more rewards to people that play in a platoon and that are within the facinity of the platoon/squad way point. You should be asking for more rewards to squad leaders/platoon leaders. You should reward team play, you should reward using your brain to get out of tricky situations. You should open the door to more possibility's rather then confine them.

Anyways, these are my thoughts, hate it or love it.
  18. Ender

I don't think you really understand the points he's made or the game itself if you think he's promoting anything OTHER than squad play. It's like you disagreed with his post, but you both believe squad play should be promoted....which would be in line more so with his OP. Rawr
    • Up x 1
  19. vsae

BUT YOU CAN HAZ higher spm playing alone LA with shotgun than running a medic in a full squad. This game rewards killing and only slightly teamplay,
    Examples you would say?
    Healing gives too less xp and its mechanic is atrocious compared to repair xp gain. Instead people just wait for the guy to die to revive him which is both much FASTER and more rewarding. On a side note, going on a killing spree with medic is far more rewarding than healing/reviving.

Repairing tank zerg is not rewarding at all, because you always will get squished by a panicked mbt driver who stayed too long in open and decided to pull back when he is almost down to red. I could actually give a very long list of these negative aspects.

Giving ammo seems okay, but we have stupid timer before ammo box *puff* magically dissapears.

All those teamplay support bonuses MUST be two times higher in order to reward teamplay not pure killing. The only teamplay I notice is from 80-100 BR players who are generally bored LVLing and are just playing for fun.
    • Up x 1
  20. EliteEskimo

Ender I respect your opinion, but Esamir is a disaster and they ruined most of it due to horrible terrain and base additions, and the derp wall implementations. (Although I'm a big fan of the changes they made to the spawn room at EISA Tech Plant and feel it's a great example of how fortified and defensible spawn rooms and their immediate surroundings should be like.)
    [IMG]

Esamir is a complete and total disaster because it was turned from a continent designed for epic vehicles battles and tank warfare, to a map designed for infantry zerging from base to base because the bases are so close together and terrain placement is so clustered and messy compared to what it once was.

Don't try to defend the horrible black derp walls which still allow infantry to get farmed by ESF's and Liberators in bases but not allow MBT's to play alongside infantry. Sure there are some bases with hills next to them so can fire down into them, but that is boring farming gameplay compared to the past freedoms of being to drive around a base and use hills while fighting tanks and infantry at the base.

The changes were such a massive screw you for the people who loved the vehicle gameplay side of Planetside 2. When BWC had OP's on Esamir in the past I looked forward to them greatly, and our armored task force could move with great speed because this was the Terrain we had to deal with on most of the continent.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Now we get called to certain bases to help out our infantry task forces, and our armored task force is stuck looking at this type of image and we're left wondering how this promotes combined arms gameplay ....
    [IMG]

Old Esamir terrain was simple, and the vehicle combat that it allowed for was second to none. Plus the bases were pretty far apart back then and there was very little cover so infantry actually needed air and armor support way more than they do with the current Esamir.
    [IMG]

Ender I know DA doesn't really ever use MBT's, but look into your heart and ask yourself if the changes they made really did justice to the combined arms aspect of Planetside 2.