Spitfire Turret - Do Not Buy.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jeslis, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Waratorium

Stealth isn't even the issue- they don't even give early warning effectively, as they take so long to start shooting at a target that the enemy often just walk past them and kill you before the gun has even fired a shot.

Besides, TUGs & Darts make spitfires irrelevant as an early warning system anyway.

Also, they don't shave off health- they shave off maybe 10% of your shields on the rare occasion that they actually shoot at you.
    • Up x 1
  2. Crator

Only thing I'd like changed on them is the size reduce about 30%-40% and more hit-points...
    • Up x 1
  3. Champagon

Spitfires are great, I had a lot of fun. Me and my squad were wrecking people with them. Actually got a decent amount of kills with them, and they kill C4 fairies with such consistency <3 I even named my turret. I kept going back to check on him since i got worried. They grow up so fast these days *sigh*
  4. Braneman

I think it could benefit from two things, a smaller hitbox and model(I would say scaled to about half of what it is now), and the ability for an engineer to carry two(but only deploy one at a time)
    That way its stopping power feels in line with its size, its harder to hit, you can fit more into an area, and engineers can place one down and have it be destroyed on the battlefield without it feeling like a complete waste of a slot.
  5. axiom537

/disagree I think the spitfire turret is awesome. It does just the right amount of damage as a single turret, I think the size is just about right and it is fairly easy to be killed.
    • Up x 1
  6. Champagon

I think the problem is that some of the "other" players want instant gratification. Anything that requires thought and effort is not welcomed in this game. I am with the camp that enjoys the turret, the thing is awesome and has its uses. But most people want some lazy weapon they can just throw down and farm kills with. Keyword on farm
  7. Hookie

+100000000 Sony really fcked this one - Not only all of these wonderful %100 accurate accounts of the crappy spit sht gun but it also does not fire at Max Suits. It dies way way WAY to easily, the time it takes to locate a target and then fire is ******** (quite literally) and the amount of shots it needs to kill anything is insane. :mad: THIS IS THE BIGGEST PEICE OF CRAP THAT SONY HAS RELEASED EVER!!!!!!! TAKE IT FROM A PLAYER WHO HAS CASHED SINCE BETA!
    • Up x 4
  8. Xind

This seems like a legitimate issue, that I would amend my list of things it needs with. Following a single target until that target breaks LoS/Range is absolutely necessary.
    • Up x 1
  9. Colakold

I dont want a easy-mode turret but here are my thoughts.

At the moment it looks like the turret is something for special situations. The "turret-winners" are talking about specific locations, situations and times. To be honest i dont like that. I want a turret which i can use in general or average situations. I dont want to carry a turret for hours to wait for the magical moment of place and time. The most time the fights are going for bases. Of course you can place the turret in "magical" doorways but when a MAX or multiple enemys are comming in to attack the magic is gone. The attacker has absolute no use for the turret because every outside location is useless. So for me this turret looks like a magic-moment-navy-seal device which are useless in frontline situations.
    • Up x 1
  10. Saokeh

People will complain about anything that doesn't do 100% of the work for them. The sentry isn't meant to be the sit back while you afk killing machine. It compliments the engineer for the last time! Giving an engineer an auto turret is already going to land you a few bullets from another acting source. So to buff the sentry Sony will need to take away your engineering gun or keep it the same. The sentry as is combined with even a decent player gives you the highest ttk from any infantry class besides extreme cqc shotguns. Don't be that guy, get smarter with placement.
    • Up x 2
  11. Demigan

I seriously think you guys are overstating and/or have only met people who placed them in all the wrong places. I saw an engi repair an AA turret in an AMP station, I jetted to the tower, landed away from the engi and saw a turret at the other side. I didn't want to shoot it to prevent warning the Engi, but in the seconds it took to run to the engi and kill him, the turret had blown more than half my health away. That's a pretty powerful tool, if the engi had listened/seen me in time it would have been an easy fight for him. If I had taken the time to finish off the Turret, I would have had to reload to properly engage the engi, or hope my best knifing/pistoling the guy.
    • Up x 2
  12. Goretzu

After hours of play again today I've finally managed to get two kills with it, basically with an old fashioned mine and Spitfire trap al la PS1 (got both with the same trap), but that was it, no assists nothing else, no other kills.

I can't see how anyone is getting consistant kills with these unless their server has players that (inexplicably) regularly go AFK infront of their Spitfires.

They still seem to take an age to start firing (and don't seem to fire at MAXs) and I think actually do less DPS than the PS1 Spitfires did (and they had low DPS for PS1, never mind PS2).
    • Up x 1
  13. Goretzu

As things stand I'd rather they went the other way and limit their range to ~15-20m, make them fire IMMEDIATELY (I can't overstate that enough), and up their DPS a bit.

They'd actually have some use then and hopefully be at least as useful as PS1 Spitfires were.
    • Up x 1
  14. Champagon

Well to start, PS1 was a totally different game, so you can't compare DPS with that one. My turret acquires the target almost instantly and fires just as fast. I think the key is placement, i kept mine hidden, or grouped up with other turrets. At times i would sit next to my turret and repair it, and use my primary gun to supplement the turret damage.

In the hours i used the turret last night i had no problems getting kills, and it was fun finding unique locations for it. I got about 5 solid kills with it when i actually wasn't around to tend to it.

Try grouping it up with other squad mate turrets or hiding it in high traffic areas. Work smarter, not harder
  15. Colakold

That means the turret is only usable for personal protection. If used on frontlines or big battles with multiple targets the turret has problems to get a target and with staying alive. Compared with the current manual AV or AI turrets the spitfires decreases the value of an engineer in perspective of attacking and defending bases.
  16. inigma

...and thus calling PS2 Spitfire Turrets "chickens" entered the vernacular...

"Squad, there are two chickens defending B point. Bring an emp pls."

"put a chicken at the back door pls."

"Hey stop tking my chicken!"

I think I will start calling them "guard chickens" or just "chickens" for short from this point foward. Anyone else agree?

Btw my chicken racked up a number of kills last night. You just have to place them right and use them as an offensive distraction.
  17. BlueSkies

Just to be clear, it does damage to infantry, not any target.

Anyway, when it does decide to actually shoot at something, the delay before it starts firing is enough time to kill 2 or 3 people with your carbine.

The only time its actually done any good for me is when it steals someone elses kill :p
    • Up x 2
  18. Goretzu

See that is what some people are saying, yet some people (like me) seem to have the exact opposite problem (i.e. it is NOT doing that).

I've used Spitfires in PS1, I've used turrets in TF1, I know all about placement. No matter where I've stuck it, in all manner of fights and positions, it simply does not seem to do anything most of the time.

I could (maybe) see me only getting 2 kills in ~6+ hours of fairly soild play with it......... if I'd been getting some assists, but I've only had 1 of them...... which to me backs up what I seem to be seeing, that my Spitfire is doing nothing most of the time (just beeping a lot). :confused:
    • Up x 2
  19. Champagon

Maybe its a bug /shrug

I have also used turrets in PS1/TF2/Numerous other games that have turrets. I've had no problems so far
  20. Jaedrik

They should become more like the classic spitfires. Accurate, fires immediately, but little damage and you can place far more.
    • Up x 4