SOUND - Afterglow Headset heavily distorted.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Roman, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Roman

As the title suggests. I have been using my Afterglow wireless headset since the Tech Test. Only recently after the past 2 patches the headset sound is incredibly crackly and distorted. I have had them serviced under warranty and have used them on seperate computers / laptops etc. The headset itself is working fine, however ONLY when playing planetside 2 they crackle and distort all sounds, especially anything with a little bit of bass in it, such as explosions etc. Practically unplayable with the headset as the sound is far to irritating.

I have submitted a previous ticket about this issue of which I was told that no problem could be found. Now I am telling you guys that there is a problem, as it is only in game and it is fairly recent. I know for a fact my PC / Headset is 100% in working order and all drivers etc are up to date.
  2. Dracborne

I'm having the same issues with my AfterGlow Wireless headsets. It's really bad in and around vehicles. The headsets work without issues in BF3, COD4/5, Arma2, World of Tanks and numerous other games. As stated above this was not the case before a patch or two ago but now is nearly unbearable.
  3. Takara

I will post a review I did for this headset on another site here. Overall...not good for gaming. I noticed this issue as well with another 'stereo' headset that all claim to have superior bass in them. Gunfire sounds very distant and muffled well other traditionally base sounds are dull and unexciting.

Alright so I saw this headset...and I have been on the hunt for a new hetset since the pair I used to use had ha habit of breaking. Anyway here is a link to the product. http://www.pdp.com/c-18-afterglow.a.....FQXnnAod0RwABw

Wired version review.

Alright down and dirty time. My initial reaction to this headset was quite positive. They look nice, have soft curves and sleek look to them. The retractable microphone is nice for when you want to listen to music on the move and don't need the feature. The backlit sides and clear plastic top is a cool effect and adds to the overall cool design. By far the best design feature is the clear part that holds the earphones together. It is quite flexable and strong. This part of the headset has little to 0 chance of breaking and makes them much more likely to survive any fall or drop on hard surfaces. However Where it connects onto the earphones is hard plastic and thus still vulnerable to this type of damage.

The ear padding is quite comfortable and the curved bits of padding around the ears helps keep it comfortable and cancel out the sound around you. HOWEVER...I was blessed with a bit of a big head. The earphones felt great but the band that is designed to rest ontop of your head was very uncomfortable for me. There was no way to adjust the tension on the wires that keep it connected and thus after about twenty minutes the top of my head was left tingling and sore. However...this is partly my fault for simply having a big head. Those of you with smaller frames and heads shouldn't have this issue.

Now down to sound quality! Voice and Music sounded pretty good. Granted...this took some time to set up. I had to fiddle with the settings on my computer's playback devices and recording devices to get the levels right. However once that was done I was pretty impressed at what it sounded like for a 60 dollar headset. I would see myself having no issue using these headphones for travel or music when away from home. I would even use them for a VOIP like teamspeak or Skype. However where this headset falls short is in gaming. I played for about 30 minutes of Planetside 2 with this headset and the sound in game just seemed...not very sharp. I had a hard time trying to decide where gunfire was in relation to me. Where footsteps were coming from, gunfire didn't sound as real or sharp. Alot of the sound effects just didn't pop out at me. Of course some of this had to do with them not being surround sound.

That all said after giving them a higher score due to the affordable price of 60 dollars I will give them
    4 out of 5

If the wireless version is up at about 90 dollars and have an extra feature in them. However at 90 dollars I would draw the line. I don't think the wireless versions would be worth the increase in price unless the sound was that much of improvement.