Solution for Cobalt high ping (or other servers)

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by veselie, Oct 24, 2014.

1. veselie

Somewhere I saw that one continent can hold up to 1100 players . When the number of players on a continent aproaches that limit , ping rises to values that make the gameplay not too enjoyable .

I suggest to decrease the continent cap to 800 or less until the servers are upgraded with better hardware .
    • Up x 3
  2. SGT-Bilko

I support this idea. I was online yesterday while only 1 continent was active, but the seemingly random lag spikes remain. The primary question I see is, if you have such massive continents with so many zones and players not in them all, how will combat result? Gameplay could unbalance even more. How about locking empty territories into a "gray area" supporting neither one side or the other - this would force players to fan out among the continent to call victory in an alert. Perhaps even shedding light onto unbalances between factions 1v1 2v2 2v1 etc.

What about continent sizes based on total number of players on a continent? You could initially set size based on number of players as you close other continents that get controlled. This could even keep single continents fun. You can even remove idle territories from the continent after not being touched for X amount of time with players X amount of meters away to prevent players suddenly being 'Out Of Bounds'.
    • Up x 1
  3. shadowkhat

You really expect SOE to do this? lmao that would be fixing a problem not causing one. the problem with the game is and always has been the lattice, the game can not handle such a forced zerg on zerg every fight is the entire population of a continent in one small little area. if they had any brains at all they would have had a way to backhack, off lattice, a long time ago...then they wouldn't have lost so many players that they have to "close" two continents just to have large giant zerg on zerg fights that the game can't handle ... and lose even more players because they fights lag so bad the game is unplayable.

PS1 had lattice... but it didn't determine where the fights were. all it did was link the bases. if you wanted any base you could roll up and take it. there were huge fights... usually along a lattice line, but you could easily take a small force to another base and force the enemy to chose... PS2... you go on the lattice line the end. hrmm wonder which had better game play and more fun fights... soe needs to drop the current group of devs it has, put them out on the street. they've taken this game and ran it into the ground with biased changes, lack of vision, poor implementation, and poor oversight. there are so many ways they could easiely balance all three factions, make for more interesting and fun gameplay, have large fights but not zerg v zerg forced. its just sad they chose to keep the fights so large the game is unplayable rather than give reasons to be behind enemy lines... i guess thinking wasn't part of the job description.
  4. SGT-Bilko

No I do not expect it. I hope for it.

And I hope they will give enough of a crap to read, fix things, and try HARD to keep what they have left still standing.
  5. VonStalin

yes please.
    Less zergs and less ping would be perfect.
    I like zergs, but too much is too much..
    • Up x 1
  6. Thunde333

They upgraded their servers when they merged the old ones.
  7. DoomFruit

Then their "upgrade" must have been to add a bobblehead to the server rack, because things are worse than they used to be.
    • Up x 1
  8. Pootisman

They upgraded the servers? Were did they say that? Anyway, the upgrade didnt help. My ping doubled after the server merge.