Solstice (default) vs. VX6-7 (Vanu Carbines)

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by altonyc, Jan 3, 2013.

1. altonyc

Sorry about the quality, it looked fine before I uploaded it.

I used the VX6-7 back in beta, and I remember it seeming to shoot a lot faster back then (I now know that this is because the slower-firing Pulsar Compact was our default carbine at the time), so I decided to compare it to the current VS default carbine, the Solstice (not burst, not SF...just "Solstice"). Skip to around the 51 second mark for a side-by-side comparison.

In this video, clips between the Solstice and VX6-7 (starting with the Solstice) are alternated, showing hipfire with no compensation for recoil, hipfire with, ADS without, and ADS with. Interestingly, the VX6 rate of fire and longer reload match almost perfectly with the Solstice, making this a true sidegrade.

The VX6 can get soft point ammo and a level 2 laser sight, whereas the Solstice can use the 2x reflex sight. Other than that, same attachments available. The VX6 also appears to have a slightly better initial hip-fire accuracy, but it blooms faster due to the higher ROF.

So what does this mean? The stock VX6 is a bit better in close quarters, where you should get your kill before needing to reload. It has better DPS per magazine, though the two have identical (or at least very comparable) DPS over multiple reloads. The VX6 is also better for the way I personally play light assault (and I'm sure many others), mainly due to the availability of the advanced laser sight. The standard Solstice can only have the basic laser sight, which is very good, but the advanced one's extra accuracy helps to hit people while you're flying around on your jetpack. For an engineer, I'm not really sure. The Solstice's lower fire rate makes the recoil a bit more manageable for longer distances, so if you're planning mid range conflicts, you may wish to use the Solstice instead.

Unless you really want that advanced laser sight or marginally faster fire rate (or soft point ammo...no idea how that stuff is), I would recommend holding off on the VX6. I don't think it is different enough to justify a purchase (But to each their own...I'm still using it so I can be all Boba Fett on people. I mostly bought it because of how much faster it seemed in beta, when it was compared to the slower-firing Pulsar-C).
  2. bogroll

The VX6 with the advance laser sight is very good whilst hip firing- the cone of fire is pretty tiny. I don't regret getting one...

Check this vid out.
    • Up x 1
  3. altonyc

True. I've noticed this myself, but I wasn't sure how much of it was due to the weapon itself, and how much was due to the laser sight. The accurate hipfire is really helpful, since you can strafe a lot faster than if you were aiming down sights. I got it while it was on sale, with SC I'd purchased on a multiplier day, so it was pretty cheap. But, I don't know if I would spend 750 certs on it. Definitely love it, though.

I was really impressed with how well the fire rate and reload speed matched with the default gun. The rate of fire beats the reload tradeoff for the ranges I use it in, but the Serpent fires a bit too fast.

And yeah, the hipfire accuracy is really good for light assault. It feels so good to shoot someone while flying in circles around their head.
  4. altonyc