SOE's sledgehammer cosmetic changes are worrisome.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Van Dax, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Van Dax

SOE this is a F2P game.

You survive off of cosmetic purchases.

Why on earth would I buy a cosmetic, with the sole purpose of looking some way I find aesthetically pleasing when you can change it whenever you feel like?

This is not "balance"

Balance, if for some reason becomes relevant can be easily achieved without changing the colour or pattern. All you need to do is tint it. Balance is not taking my teal armour and making it purple. Balance is not taking my purple/teal emissive armour and making it Gold. Balance is not changing my colours to things that aren't even on our factions colour palette.

Weapons by their nature need to be able to change stats for balance, but they should never except for extreme cases change their function.

SOE, I joined this game because I saw a youtube video of a hovertank.
    I bought myself a saron, a bunch of camo and cosmetics.
    The only thing you haven't ****** over is my hood ornament.

I no longer buy weapons because of the saron change and now I don't think I'm going to buy anything else (maybe playerstudio)

You're making your customers angry, for everyone person who says the like the change their 15 people in my outfit getting really angry and feeling ripped off. You will lose money and TRUST, and you've certainly lost mine.

PS, I have an SOE $15 card that was sitting here on my desk waiting for you to get around to releasing that lumifiber you showed off 6 months ago, why do you do everything BUT what makes me want to buy things?
    • Up x 23
  2. HellionX

Agreed the scythe and the magrider have never looked more derpy. Totally ruined the high end European nvidia cammo I have.
    • Up x 2
  3. Zipper Bear

The other factions camo looks fine, VS had too easy of a time blending in with their dark camo. I think the changes are fine.
    • Up x 5
  4. Van Dax

sorry sir but you happen to be full of ****.

magrider (and more specifically my magrider) has more faction colour than any other vehicle when camoed. Try again.
    • Up x 5
  5. Dethfield

You must legal blind. It is most definitely NOT hard to see VS, and never was. Anyone who says this really needs to get their eyes checked. For god sakes how do you miss a giant hovering egg with a purple flame on its ****?

And lets not forget that they seriously messed up other cosmetics. Have you seen the Space America decal? Its disgusting...
    • Up x 2
  6. FrontTowardEnemy

YUUUP!

I saw a Magrider today with gold fins, some camo, front armor, lumifiber some decals and a sauron and OMG it was hideous. Just insane. Nothing matched, meaning everything was overlapping with no unified design or direction. Nothing related to each other. It looked like some Katamari rolled around in PS2 option parts and random stuff stuck to it. Totally horrible. And it's not the player's fault either. I could see where he was trying to go with the options. He was just let down by the artwork itself.

The entire foundation that the art is based on needs to be changed.

The "core colors" for each empire need to be slightly different shades of charcoal gray. "Empire Colors" need to be the equivalent of "dress blues" for soldiers. Players should be able to unlock one complete set (armor, weapon and vehicle) of camo at level 5, level 25 and level 50. This way, players won't be at a disadvantage if they don't want to purchase camo from the store compared to those that do.

Camo needs to cover EVERYTHING that is an exterior surface, except for the detail stuff and the "sub structure" of the item/armor/vehicle. Example: VS Heavy armor- everything is camo except where the joints are, and the visor. Visor is mirror dark purple/black and the joins/connecting areas are flat black. It's pretty simple to understand.

NC and TR would be the same: camo everything, small detail areas and connecting surfaces would be dark charcoal gray/almost black, so as to not give the VS any advantage during night time. Note that we're not nerfing the VS, we're buffing the TR/NC to match what everyone thinks is the cool setup.

Empire identification: There will be decals applied to each side of the helmet, with the empire emblem on it in SUBDUED colors. Not day glow yellow/red/blue/teal/pink/whatever. SUBDUED. You can still have a gold/blue NC logo on a helmet and not have it look like a sunrise. Reduce the saturation by 50%, use slightly darker tones.

There will be a decal on the top-center of the backpack, right between the character's shoulder blades if you will, and if that isn't workable due to the backpack then there will be one on each top corner of the backpack to further ID the character.

There will be a decal on each upper arm, just below the shoulder pad, with the empire logo. Again, subdued. This is PLENTY of identification. Stop catering to the lowest common denominator and let players use their brains.

Vehicle identification: maybe it might be a good idea to use REAL WORLD EXAMPLES as a reference? Keep it simple: subdued empire specific logos on the sides and backs of turrets, and on the sides of tank armor. Remove all empire specific coloring from vehicles COMPLETELY.

Common pool vehicles you say? So what? Put empire logos on them, done. No need for empire colors. Q fixes everything.

HUD colors: this one is so egregious I can barely contain myself. LET PLAYERS PICK THEIR HUD/UI COLORS. There's a million reasons why red/yellow/cyan colors are bad, and no good reason to have the colors locked like that. COLOR BLIND PLAYERS MUCH? HELLO?

Accessories / secondary weapons need to have appropriate camo coverage and appropriate camo SCALING to match each vehicle.

What did I miss? :rolleyes:
    • Up x 8
  7. FrontTowardEnemy

Also, the above rant/critique is in no way aimed at Van. I'm agreeing with him 100%. :D
  8. Zipper Bear

I never said I personally had issues with the magrider, but thanks for attacking me personally ****heads. My issues are mostly with the VS infantry blending in. The only time a magrider was an issue is with certain angles where you couldn't see their back, or them hovering, and obviously that didn't happen too often.
    • Up x 2
  9. Van Dax

Then you are offtopic. Infantry coverage didn't change as far as I am aware and is a totally separate issue.
    • Up x 1
  10. vsae

I totally agree with OP. I could never mistake swagrider with vanguard or prowler. Neither I had any problem differentiating ESFs. This change is plain stupid. VS infantry needs rework not vehicles, as it is mainly an advantage for them.
    Also, nobody would buy a camo with preview option if it looks hideous.
    • Up x 2
  11. Loui5D

Gals look horrid as well.
  12. Zipper Bear

I read in the other thread that vanguard and prowler are getting changed too, but I have yet to confirm it. To be fair, in the current scheme of things the prowler blends in the easiest now, and it needs to be changed. The vanguard could probably use another strip of yellow on top to put symmetry into the paint scheme.

I just don't have any problems with the magrider looking like that, I think it looks cool on a majority of the camos. I like your argument though, and I was never trying to come off as a hypocrite.

In my personal opinion camo gives too good of an advantage considering it can only be bought with real cash. If camo was available for certs (even if only just basic ones) then I would fully support vehicles blending in really well with the terrain, because then at least it would be fair.
  13. Van Dax

Thing is, I didn't buy that.

can you see my decal? nope, now its hidden under my plating.
    see my teal armour? nope now its ******* violet (again not even our faction colour, If you want to increase visability of our faction colours than use our faction colours)
    Textures look better? nope.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

lower resolution than before.(that's ultra textures btw)
  14. furrywaffle

This means they can still save the aesthetics of this game! Yay!
  15. Phazaar

Loving the change. All that's needed now is to make TR's red actually visible like VS's teal and NC's ******* horrific fluorescent yellow stripe.
  16. OddChelsea

Was killed by a mag with a lot of cosmetics earlier, camo, armor, fins and all I could think was "Man, that looks like a$$."
    • Up x 1
  17. Van Dax

seriously, I'm taking off cosmetics to make it look better. Tears are being shed.
  18. OddChelsea

It didn't even look like sexy a$$ either, like Vanu infiltrator booty. Just fat, hairy plumber a$$ wearing a bright purple thong.
    • Up x 1
  19. HadesR

My baby blue bra and stockings say hi to you non faction colour Maggie :)

They should make vehicle and infantry by default fully covered in the loyalty camo colour scheme . Then applying other camo on top of this retained X% of that ES colour .. Then everything would be uniform across all 3 factions.
  20. Van Dax

[IMG]