SOE & PS2 unscheduled A LOT of cool features because...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BunnyHillPro, Mar 20, 2013.

1. StrikerKOJ

While I am not quite as ragey about it, I recognize this man's sentiment.

SOE is in total control of the information being released. As such, they are in total control of how to look like they are meeting goals on time, or how to look foolish. I work in construction management, I completely understand and sympathize with the notion that things happen, deadlines are missed, unforeseen issues arise, and all of that jazz. But when they hold all of the cards and still manage to look less than capable, it makes me scratch my head.

I'm glad the reason why certain things have been pushed back is because they are making an effort to improve the basic flow of the game. Whether or not it will work is up for debate, but they have at least recognized that the current system is less than perfect, and they are willing to try a new system. Hopefully this trend continues, and the game becomes tighter, and overall better.

I just wish somebody on the SOE team (or most game development teams in general) could wrap their head around public relations. I like the game. I subscribe, I buy station cash, and I generally support the game because I find it fun and I see the potential. But it becomes hard to justify giving people money when all appearances lead me to believe they don't really know what they are doing; and many decisions are made because "hey, wouldn't it be cool if..."

It just feels like there was no real solid foundation and direction for the game, and ever since release they have been in nothing but (over)reaction mode.

Hope they figure it out. I would really like to continue to enjoy this product.
  2. xNPCx

I think the main reason they unscheduled the new continent was to focus on the new lattice/hex system, because this would change the three current continents to adhere to the new system. Now building a new continent under the current system is a waste of time, it would have to be changed or re-worked to work with whatever new capture system that they decide to implement.
    • Up x 2
  3. sustainedfire

Hossin was pushed back, because people "demanded" that a "lattice" system be placed in the game.

Im sure Hossin is mostly done, though it was likely made in the "hex" format we currently have on all 3 continents. So, they will have to "reflow" the map to fit with the new "battlelanes" lattice system before it is released.

Battle lanes is being introduced soon, and once players express satisfaction, then im sure Hossin will be fitted to that style and then released.

In the meantime, we get another variation of Pump Action Shotgun, Crossbows and more Rocket Launchers! :eek:
  4. TintaBux

5. Zakuak

Yeah nothing cooler then taking a open world and throwing it on rails!

Lets get rid of the strategic complications in our sand box because it's too hard for some. Lets make it sequential and linear so A must be done before B, C...and we can call it "META GAME" content.

Bleh
  6. Paltry Porridge

Maybe, maybe not. I take everything they spoon feed us with a grain of salt.

Presuming that were the reason, why not keep it on the road map where it was, or push it forward a month?

They were already a MONTH or later late for other things. It's kind of nonsensical to "unschedule" something, unless they don't intend on doing it at all, OR it might not be possible.
  7. Calisai

Those upset about the roadmap not being followed, things getting changed or being delivered late should have known better. I mean really.... SOE has been saying all along that these are just the things they are working on... nothing is promised. That's more than you'd get from a lot of companies (Sony included in prior games...)

I'd rather they start delaying some of the patches and do a little more QA on the test server than keep pushing out update after update that causes issues like the one over the 2XP weekend.
  8. Excellentz

Sorry man, I have to agree with most of these people. They probably did not realize how much development it would take for the continent locking and with the other issues that have come up (bugs, patch issues, server merges..etc) Trust me, you do not want them releasing continent locking with bugs or problems. A poor step in the direction of the metagame could lead to a mass exodus.

I believe that they should be VERY cautious when releasing content for PS2. We need the test server to be up and going. What happened with PS1 and BFRs was inexcusable, and they realize that. They broke the game and killed the playbase with just one xpac/patch. I appreciate their caution. I for one would LOVE to see this turn into a MLG sport.
  9. Sevre

Exactly my response to any thread about "OMG WAI U NO COMOONIKATE WITH PHORUM?!?!" posts, like the one just made by riftmaker. I'm tired of having to reiterate this point, but essentially the more SOE communicates to us, the more fuel whiners have to add to the fire of complaints and ridicule. SOE communicates enough as it is, but regardless of anything they do SOMEONE complains. It's pathetic.

Let them do their job.
    • Up x 1
  10. DanMan3395

until they deal with the ridiculously unstable fps in the game MLG will not be an option anyway. I doubt that is the reason for anything.
  11. Excellentz

You both hit the nail on the head. People have NO idea what development takes and how much time it takes just to be able to do something "simple" like just swap warpgates. The problem is just that SOE kind of put themselves in a bind with the roadmap, in terms of giving themselves deadlines. It is unlike any other game, but when they say "this" is going to come out "then", we will see a lot of people complain when it does not actually come out "then".

However, lets also come to the understanding that SOE already listens and communicates to us FAR MORE than ANY other gaming company has. (Setting aside TINY mom and pop companies, this is SOE, one of the largest) I appreciate them and all of the feedback that they give us. It is much more than Blizzard, EA, or any other major company has given. We should all understand this as I am sure we all have been around the block playing video games.