So what buffs does the TR need?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hotbread, Feb 15, 2014.

1. WTSherman

Like I said, they're pretty close to being balanced as far as I can tell. The main purpose of a "buff" in this case would be to draw players back to the faction, rather than actually changing the faction's overall power. A small improvement to a high-profile item such as the Striker could do that.

The Vulcan/Marauder switch on the other hand isn't really about buffing so much as making those weapons less of a pain to balance. Because as mentioned, it's way too easy for the Vulcan to turn into a godmode anti-everything weapon and anything that would improve its utility against tanks would also make it more dangerous to everything else. It would be much easier to balance as an anti-infantry weapon.

Granted this could make it fall into the same trap as the C85 since the changes needed to switch the Vulcan over to AI are pretty much the same as what the C85 needs to not suck (lots of bullets/pellets in a relatively tight CoF), and SOE hasn't figured out how to do that yet. Actually this seems to be a problem with bullet-based vehicle weapons in general, the ones intended for AI tend to be worse than AV explosives because they have a huge CoF, and the AV weapons (halberd, tank main guns) don't.
  2. Hiding in VR

Gosh, we take it all back. :rolleyes:
  3. Paperlamp

Comp is not necessary for most NC guns. The difficulty of handling vertical recoil on NC is extremely exaggerated. You also can get away with a laser on NC guns more easily than TR, .175 horizontal recoil seems lower than most TR weapons even with their forward grips.

The AMC also has significantly higher TTK than the AC-X11 in close and medium range, making it a less versatile gun even if it does have passable accuracy for a TR gun. The only thing it's better at than the AC-X11 is having more bullets, really, and I guess hip-firing. Which is the situation for many TR guns vs. NC or VS(well VS are about equal for hip-fire though), and why so many TR are having issues with their arsenal at the moment.

The Cycler is not that good, it's alright for medium range but the SABR is our real long range option for ARs. I don't think TR's ARs are as bad as Carbines and LMGs are for us though. Carnage is probably better than any of our ARs as an all-rounder though.

NC hardly has the worst CQC options either, Jackhammer, Cyclone, Blitz are all best in class, and GD-7F is at least on par with any other Carbine now if not better - I'd say the velocity actually does make it better. Yes, they used to have bad CQC options, and yes they have to spend 1k certs on theirs. But it's just not the case that NC suffers in CQC now.

Sniper, scout, and battle rifles are niche weapons and very situational, and aren't used much(for good reasons) except for the bolt actions for sniping. Automatics are better weapons for all-purpose use.
    • Up x 2
  4. Hiding in VR

Agree with this (although how can one faction be the "most" balance ;) )

The TR need a buff to fun and Quality of Life, not power.

ps: I am getting extremely fed up with horizontal frikkin recoil :(
    • Up x 3
  5. Paperlamp

It's code for the superior factions for "worst".
    • Up x 1
  6. JudgeDeath

Dear god dont mess with the faction colors ...

There is quite enough of "Realistic" shooter games were you only have shades of brown and grey as used colors.[IMG]
  7. Aegie

Good points, but honestly I do not think that TR is suffering that much in mid-long range. The weapons are quite different from NC, that is true, but I find them very effective. For me, I recognize that a big part of the fun factor is the relative newness and I can certainly see how long time players feel about diversity- especially in Carbines where, you are right, there is no choice of damage tier. I hope that as they add more content they realize that faction traits are good but they should be a bit more careful about pigeonholing everything in such a way that trivializes diversity- I agree that the examples you cite about NC in this regard are good examples of what they need to consider for TR as they plan and introduce new things. Others are right, too, however, that models and audio lack diversity in general- regardless of what faction may have it worse and conversations about who has it better or worse are not very productive, IMO, at bringing about positive change.

On the other hand, a lot of what I take away from re-reading my post and your reply is that there are faction differences- they do feel different as a package, there are pros and cons on each side, and likely areas where certain things have weaknesses where others have strengths. I grant that at times this can be frustrating, especially in a game where it takes a fair investment to flesh out a character to take advantage of the different scenarios the game has to offer and especially if, as a player, you feel you grow to dislike what you have been playing and want something new and different without feeling like you are flushing all the prior investment down the crapper.
  8. Takoita

True, but 'hat-wearing simulator with a sidegame of FPS' ala TF2 is not the way either.
    • Up x 1
  9. Konstantinn

What TR need is more population, overall the faction is quite well balanced. Like many mentioned before could use some variety in weapons. On engie/LA/medic/infil I tend to use NS weapons instead of TR specific. That's kind of a problem. Also Striker needs to be different somehow, as is NS annihilator outperforms it in the same role.
    • Up x 1
  10. Irrelevant--

DAT AUDIO
    • Up x 4
  11. LT_Latency

QQ more

It has blast processing!!! That is why it can shoot so fast.

12. Goretzu

Ok, I'll explain.

In WDS 1, the week 1 scores were:

40% - 31% - 29%

In WDS2, the week 1 scores are:

35% - 34% - 32%

If you honestly cannot see what was imbalanced about WDS1 score and what is pretty balanced about WDS2 scores...... I really don't know what to say. :confused:

Now onto server wins.

In WDS1 the NC won a server twice (the same server won 2 out of the 6 weeks for NC), the NC won no other server on no other week in the whole of the WDS1. :eek:

So far WDS2 Week1) the TR as won 2 (equalling the entire NC wins for WDS1) the NC 3 and the VS 3 servers.... again this is balanced (actually as balanced as it can be with 8 servers).

2:3:3

I think the game is as balanced as it has ever beens.......... and the WDS2 scores, so far, are pretty much underlining that.
    • Up x 1
  13. Phazaar

EliteEskimo said all there is to say. Absolutely no need for buffs when ACTUAL performance stats (i.e. not population inferred artificially scored competitions) are more balanced than they ever have been. What needs to happen is to make TR interesting to play; the reason they were overpop before was because they didn't bleed players like NC or wear spandex... Now there's no reason to play TR when they have nothing really 'faction specific' about them.

But a massive hint on fixing that for some of the hideous ideas people put up for what would make TR more 'fun'/attractive to play... It doesn't need to be ANY more powerful than ANYTHING you have now (except the Striker ;) ). Your weapons are performing in their roles perfectly, they're just not interesting or fun. Make them interesting and fun, SOE.
    • Up x 3
  14. Turyen

TR just doesn't seem as cool as the other factions, we're using ugly sounding weapons with bullets in a sci-fi setting where our enemies are using lasers and magnetic coil guns plus we have that awesome recoil where the weapon swings left to right randomly.

If TR wasn't unpopulated on my server I'd play NC just because of how much better their weapons look, sound and feel.
  15. Metallic123

Balance some diversity, the audio for sure, the abundance of horizontal recoil and the MBT secondaries and redesign the striker all together.

I could dream about an under slung chain gun but apparently that's bad juju even though bullets originate from the center of the screen. Or at least this fan made concept.

[IMG]
    • Up x 6
  16. Krayus_Korianis

Only one TR gun can use the Advanced Forward Grip (T16 Rhino). WHILE your Gauss SAW (Default weapon for the NC Heavy Assault) and the Gauss SAW S can use it and the TR's Carv-S cannot. VS doesn't need the advanced forward grip because it doesn't sway so much when you fire at anything.

Sometimes, Forward Grips don't work well if the weapon has a very wide sway.
    • Up x 2
  17. Turyen

Don't forget the Sabr-13! :D
  18. Krayus_Korianis

They were going on about Heavy Assault Weapons (LMG's). I'm only going off on what they put all throughout the thread. I for one would like to see an Advanced Forward Grip be introduced for my HA LMG.
  19. MetalTower

As others have stated on this thread, the TR have no neat gimmicks. Their supposed main faction trait is high rate of fire weapons, but all factions have guns that can shoot fast. On top of that, TR infantry guns struggle with accuracy. I don't mind having weak bullets, but they better shoot faster to make up for it, and the bullets need to go where I am aiming.
    • Up x 2
  20. Clay

TR is good where it is. Please just nerf the NC into the ground so there overpop cant steamroll everything :(