So this guy killed me.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by wave, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Latrodectuss

NC heavies look like Optimus Prime wearing cargo pants.
    • Up x 2
  2. deggy

They need those pockets to hold all their FREEDOM!
    • Up x 1
  3. Littleman

Camo coverage needs a revamp... and T-Ray fired or demoted. A senior art director shouldn't be letting obvious bias stand out this much. VS have total coverage, and their color layout change some time back gave them LESS purple. The NC are almost as bad. Put on composite, and their medics and LA ARE as bad as VS with camo.

No one should be mistaking a TR though, there's always red everywhere.

Finally, for SOME reason NC and VS infils have splashes of color. Considering we only get to see anything but a shimmer of these guys less than 50% of the time (err... technically) it's mind boggling why they got priority on dialing back the coverage.

Anyone that defends the current standard is a pretty much another VS looking to keep yet another edge they shouldn't have.
    • Up x 3
  4. eldarfalcongravtank

no worries, folks

what started with the infiltrators last year will soon continue with all infantry classes and vehicles of any faction ingame: camo coverage is getting halved and red/blue/yellow/cyan/purple teamcolor will be very visible on anything from 500 meters away

camouflage will lose its only point in this game

why? because "**** you, that's why" - your ps2 art department
  5. Littleman

The point of camo has an always will be purely cosmetic. If it's 100% coverage and doing it's job, it's literally pay-to-win. This isn't something SOE wants pinned on them in earnest.
    • Up x 1
  6. Goden

Considering everyone on your team will be tagged and appear on your minimap - it should be obvious who isn't on your team. You can even see your teammates from behind walls.

If it's an enemy there is a 95% chance they've already been spotted by Q-spots or by recon and even if they haven't been tagged they will stand out because they will have no tag above them. If you are unsure - Qspot them anyway. This is something you should do already as it helps your team.

And on top of that, all 3 factions have very different silhouettes. If you are mistaking the sleek and skin-tight armor of a VS as your own team then you need to get your eyes checked.
  7. Metallic123

So give the VS less camo coverage and more teal? It doesn't matter anyways right?
  8. Longasc

The whole armor camos and decals are quite messed up. No easy way to fix this, as the massive changes required really cry "REFUND".
  9. K2k4

Easy way would be to make these camouflages cover up the red on TR and the blue on NC too.

This is supposed to sound like a stupid suggestion, because this is meant to illustrate the fact that the ability to be indistinguishable by your faction color is a silly, overpowered notion that people will exploit.

SO universalize it or change it. People who buy camouflage should not expect it to cover up their faction in the process.
  10. Goden

Just make camo cover more on NC and TR. Simple and fair.

The impact camo has on gameplay is minimal as it mostly relies on spotting and minimap use.
    • Up x 1
  11. Metallic123

I'd prefer that myself. The yellow clashes with way too many camo's and the as subtle as the red is it still doesn't meld too well.
    • Up x 1
  12. Irrelevant--

This.
  13. Goden

Exactly.

Reducing camo coverage on VS would do nothing but make camo-purchasers upset. By making TR and NC camo cover more of the armor then everyone is happy.
    • Up x 1
  14. wave

I wonder if SOE has plans to change this.
  15. Xasapis

There are two issues with those photos and it's not the camo.
    1. Decal
    2. Helmet
    For the most part, all helmet designs are unique for each empire, except very few and unfortunate exceptions, as the one above. Also, considering that TR and NC are hogging all the prime colours, making pleasing to look decals for the VS without them is pretty challenging. Which brings us to the other issue with the camo:

Teal will never stand out in an armor the same way red or blue or yellow does. Not in equal quantities anyway. You'll need three times the quantity of teal to have the same effect, which was what the original VS camo patterns were. And they looked hideous and it was pointless to even use camos due to that.

So where does that leave us? VS camos were changed to become more appealing so they may attract more people in the faction. That didn't really work, though I don't know what it did for the retention of already existing VS. So swapping coverage back to the original state should have no negative effect on the population (but certainly people who purchased camos will complain, obviously).

Here's the thing though. There are games where both sides wear almost identical pieces of clothing and armor, yet noone has issues recognising the enemy. What these games are doing right, while Planetside2 requires people to memorise looks for empire identity checks?
  16. Goden

Seriously. Just increase camo coverage on TR and NC. VS camo users will be happy their camo wasn't wrecked and NC and TR will be happy that their camo now covers more and isn't ruined by trim colours.
  17. acksbox

On the arrow over his head.

They'd never make it to the enemy, friendly fire would get them first.

Indeed, I accidentally TK people trying to mimic other factions all the time already. I'm one of those "shoot first and let the medics sort things out later" kinda people.
  18. Dieter Perras

ya the BR 72 telling others that they aught to be able to recognize minute details in models during a heated firefight.

I don't think you remember what being new to this game is like.
  19. lyravega

I think I am seeing some purple, but it is not dark, it is rather a lighter, unsaturated purple color and mixes in with the darker green.

Cyan is noticable, but it is a close color to the green to blend in easier compared to other colors.

Red is the opposite of the green, and any red will be stressed on a green background (also applies to vice-versa).

The only thing that bugs me in this screenshot is the boots, and the knee caps - actually the overall color usage. VS has boots with camo, while TR has something that does not fit to the overall camo at all. The knee-caps, and the chest of TR, including the belt, shows more empire color than the VS variant.

I wouldn't be so mad about this comparison, when their default color is STILL perfect for the Auraxia nights.
  20. PastalavistaBB

The VS Color is Purple, not Black/Very Dark Grey. SOE changed this without telling anyone to attract more players to the VS, which doesn't make sense to me. If Teal is the secondary color of the VS, then why do I see it on every VS vehicle and even shields instead of the Purple ? VS should have Purple as their main color on their camo and vehicles and shield color. Or the TR might suddenly want everything (including their shield color) to be black, because you know, Black is the secondary color of the TR.