So I tried my hand at videomaking...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hot Pockets, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Hot Pockets

So I recently decided that I wanted to try recording. I love PS2, and have played way more than I'd care to share, but never before in my 89 battleranks had I recorded and footage. What goes along with posting crappy videos to youtube? MLG montage parodies.
    I'm really looking for feedback here- so feel free to provide
    any kind of advice/recommendations/criticisms.

Here's the links to the reddit post:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2oi7wv/vanu_on_connery_mlg_content_inside/

Also obviously I meant no offense to Connery VS, I'm a **** pilot.
    • Up x 6
  2. RasFW

I wish I was that good at flying. Many inspire.
    • Up x 2
  3. HadesR

Vid is ok ...

The childish MLG parody stuff .. Not so much .. Kinda ruined it ...
    • Up x 2
  4. steverogers

Good vid, the parody is what made it good unlike what hades says. Just be careful about using sounds that are so buffed up that they lose quality.
    • Up x 2
  5. Hot Pockets

Thanks. Yes it's ****** but that kinda the point. IMO the only funny thing about MLG stuff is how childish it is.
  6. HadesR

Must be an age thing ... :)
    • Up x 1
  7. Hot Pockets

Haha guess so. I'm 15.
    Does maturation make you an over-serious tryhard?
    :p
  8. HadesR

No .. But I guess being 30+ refines your humour in some cases :p ... Ofc it's all personal taste and I've never been a fan on slapstick type comedy ...
  9. LibertyRevolution

I am trying to figure out if you are making fun of videos like this:

Or if you are trying to make a video like that.

So.. good job? ;)
    • Up x 1
  10. Dunkarooo

Totally fine and dank mlg video bro. If you spent longer finding slightly more funny footage would be even better. The sound effects and scrubby vanu pilots was funny already. Anyway as far as editing there are a handful of times when the sound completely cuts out for half a second or a second. IMO that kind of ruins the flow of the video unless it is intentional. So in conclusion 8 out of 10 in comparison to other mlg videos i see. Bring it all together and perhaps you will get lots of views like those on the mlg video illuminati council. oh and I apologize for sounding overly positive to the people who don't appreciate mlg videos yet watch them and then complain about them... those people have my deepest sympathies.
  11. DrBash00

Hmmm, a little bit over the top for my taste....

But even some of my own videos are over the top for my taste ^^
  12. Hot Pockets

ehh well I'm kinda in the middle- darkelfdruid is totally dank but at the same time its the stupidest **** evah.XD
  13. Hot Pockets

yeah. I used windows movie maker- god help me- and I was required to split the audio/video in multiple places whenever I wanted to add slow motion effects or drag it out. I'm a fairly dank player but I tend not to record as even shadowplay drags my FPS down to near zero. IMO the visuals in this game are a large part of what makes it great- if it ain't ultra, it aint planetside 2.
    Could you recommend any recording software/graphical tweaks I could make to record while still having an enjoyable experience?
    Also moviemaker can't do visual overlay (420 and gifs and rainbows and such) which seriously diminishes the effect of montage parodies.
  14. Hot Pockets

what server do you play on? I'm always looking for other experienced infils.
    Sprechen sie deutsch?
  15. Dunkarooo

well I use the amd version of shadowplay which is called GVR. it's extremely similar in regards to how much frames you lose while recording. you shouldn't be losing more than 5-10 frames while using shadowplay or GVR though in most cases. fraps is obviously horrible on frames.

I use movie maker but I don't know what would be better. I don't make mlg videos and the videos I do make are just with movie maker and aren't that great. The advice I gave you was the feedback people gave me when I used movie maker... in other words most people end up with stuff that looks a bit sloppy when using movie maker. I would do a google search for you and find the most common software but I'll leave that to you.

As far as graphical tweaks get rid of shadows if you can tolerate that and see if the increase of frames is worth it for you. If that's not enough reduce flora density(i think that's the setting). Besides that the only thing I can think of is using high settings instead of ultra when you're recording. I'm advising this because in a short mlg video I think the game graphics aren't as important as being funny and having tight editing IMO.
  16. Cynosure

Funniest video I've seen in a while. Many thanks.
    • Up x 1
  17. DrBash00

Server: Miller

Yes i speak german ;-).

I would invite you to visit our TS, but we just have some trubles with the rootserver, so maby you contact us ingame [GZC] Outfit.
    (We are now on another TS as long as we have trubles with the rootserver, but i dont share the data here...)
  18. Hot Pockets

I'm on connery and I've got no wish to delete any of my characters. Appreciate it though.