So I got a free SOAS

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Dragonblood, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Dragonblood

A few month ago the devs gave me back my certs for this crappy gun called soas.....then they buffed it. Pfff, and now that haunted item reappeared in my inventar.
    Is it still that bad?
  2. Rogueghost

Its a solid "ok" I wouldn't expect to win many point blank encounters with it but I've had a couple good runs with it.
    • Up x 1
  3. Kwyjibo

I wouldn't go 1v1 with an AR or LMG with it. But it's awesome if you throw on some upgrades and an IRNV amd shoot people when they are unaware.
  4. Rigsta

Nothing wrong with it imo. Use a forward grip and it's very accurate, great mid-range gun but don't expect it to win you any CQ fights.
  5. LT_Latency

It's ok. The problem with this gun is you need to start the gun fight. So you want to sneak around and pick people off.

The ideal condition for this gun are hard to find because you want just the right density of players. Enough players so you have people to kill but not TOO many players where you will be forced into head up gun fights at miduem range.
  6. Conflictt

As a veteran Infiltrator, I've noticed a lot of people think the SOAS sucks, referring to it as the "So-***", however the weapon has earned it's place near the top of my list of favorite weapons.

The SOAS is a surgeon's weapon, powerful yet precise rapid strikes, capable of killing enemies before they can even react. However those Rapid strikes are a double edged sword, the small magazine size(24) means you must make every shot count, if you are not accurate this weapon will not serve you well. As well as having a very small magazine size, the SOAS tracers are like a sniper's, but rapid fire, making it very easy to tell where the shots are coming from; in addition to this, the sound of a SOAS round soaring past you is very distinct and loud, if you miss your first few shots against a target with an IQ higher than his/her body tempature, he's likely to turn tail and run, or flick on his over-shield and return fire.

You have to use the SOAS like a dagger, take people by surprise when they aren't looking and eliminate them quickly before they can react to your presence. Ideally you want to always be hitting your targets from the side/back, never engaging in a direct 1v1 fight. In the right hands it is a very powerful weapon, but it takes some time to get used to, it's a far-cry from most TR guns, where you have ammo to spare and a few loose rounds aren't always crucial.

My SOAS Load-out
    • Infrared Scope/2x Red Dot/4x Crosshair Scope: I swap between scopes depending on engagement ranges
    • Forward Grip
    • Compensator (I try to get as much accuracy as I can out of my SOAS, the less I have to compensate the better. The low magazine count doesn't leave much room for error. After I kill someone i'm usually cloaked and gone. The mini-map downside doesn't effect me much)
    • Up x 1
  7. Dragonblood

The KSR feels so much more powerful than the SOAS. :-/
    Not sure, how to use SOAS in the first place. With small bursts?
  8. pnkdth

If it is anything like the Artemis(VS full auto scout) you can pretty much go full auto with it. Get used to the recoil, with a grip you should be able to compensate for its recoil. Compensator is optional, and I tend to run without it(as its vertical recoil is fairly controllable), as it remains servicable when hipfiring. I've used a suppressor with it but with it it turns into a peashooter with horrible bullet velocity.

It is a nice option to the SMGs as you're not forced to get up close and personal in the same sense, which often can mean the difference between life and death. In other words, the FASR user should at all times keep your opponents at mid range when it is the strongest. Recon darts are very useful to plan your ambushes, and your cloak often means you will be able to get the drop on people.

Never fight fair, because in a fair fight you are at a disadvantage.
  9. RockPlanetSide2

The real issue with the Semi Auto Scouts is simple, while everybody who likes them will tell you "they are precise!"... they are still just as precise as any run of the mill battle rifle.

It is not some kind of automatic sniper rifle.

Never engage anybody face to face, if you win that fight... THEY WERE BAD. It is that simple, you are doing low damage at a low rate of fire compared to most other weapons you will encounter. HA's with a resist shield can take all 24 rounds and not die, unless you hit them in the head, which is not going to happen at range, because the SOAS still does have kick (its not a laser beam like some people will state on here).

Just get away from anybody who sees you then take advantage of the SOAS's range.

The semi auto scouts are basically bad versions of the NS7PDW up close, but you do get a little more range out of them... maybe 1 out of 20 kills you would not be able to make with the NS7PDW... but there are a lot more instances where the NS7PDW would not have failed you in CQC.

The laser sight on the SOAS is a joke, any CQC you win again, is simply that you did not run into a heavy or you got the jump on somebody... you don't need a laser for that. Just go compensator and grip, it maximizes what the gun was supposed to do.. range.
    You can put a silencer on it, but your bullet velocity becomes comically bad, and again, why not just use a silenced PDW at that point.

It is simply a glitter weapon, you can use it to make yourself feel better... but, it is completely below average compared to all the other guns you will meet on the field.
  10. Dragonblood

yeah, really tried it......but it's just terribad at any range.
  11. Conflictt

Just practice with it, when I first used the SOAS I had the same opinion, but I've grown to love it.
  12. OldMaster80

Much more effective than it used to be at the release, i love it.
  13. Dragonblood

It's just my humble opinion that SOAS and KSR cover the same range, but the KSR just has more punch. In addition the KSR hasn't got sway anymore.
  14. Erendil

The SOAS/Artemis/Stalker are decent (not great) weapons. They're essentially 24-shot, 143/652 Assault Rifles with low muzzle velocity. The SOAS is actually quite close to the T16, T32 , and T5 AMC in a lot of areas.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...652&sortcolid=16&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250.

It's not going to be able to go toe-to-toe with most of the CQC weapons out there. But then, it's not designed to. It's meant to give infils a medium range automatic weapon that can fill in the gap between SMGs and the more accurate sniper rifles. And for that it does a pretty good job.

It's horizontal recoil is a little on the big side (.2/.225), but it's vertical recoil is quite controllable. Use your cloak wisely to get the jump on your opponent and you should be able to 1v1 anyone out to about 75m or so.

FWIW when I use the Artemis (VS equivalent) I normally run 3.4x scope, Laser sight, and Suppressor/Flash Suppressor (depending).
  15. Mustarde

I think it has been adequately shown that the SOAS-20 is more than "OK". As with any weapon, especially infiltrator weapons, the ASR's are not one-size fits all, but require proper ranged engagements and playing to the weapons strengths. And to those saying it is bad in head to head engagements, that is a blanket statement for all infiltrators considering we have 100 less shield. And since we have a cloak, why would you judge a weapon based on its head-to-head performance?

I know people tend to put what I demonstrate on a pedestal and think it doesn't apply to them, but the SOAS demonstration below is something all of you can replicate. I have good sniper muscle memory, but when it comes to automatic weapons I am average at best. A glance at my stats.dasanfall data will show you that. The ASR's are in a great place, and due to their bad reputation from the past, one of the most overlooked infil weapons we have.

16. Mustarde

With respect, I still think the KSR and variants are total garbage. The moving ADS cof prevents accurate performance unless you hold still - which is suicide in this game. The Hsr-1 allows more accurate fire while on the move which translates into better performance in my hands. Just a opinion. And the SOAS-20 will handle mid range a lot better than the KSR IMO
  17. cruczi

Looking at the video, I can say with 100% certainty your automatic weapons aim is better than average. Probably in the last 10th percentile of PS2 playerbase.

OT: Hey Mustarde what do you record and edit video with? Looks pretty good for youtube quality.
  18. Mustarde

And look, they go buffing the KSR-35 today. I suspend this statement now :)
  19. LownWolfe

What I find interesting is that people always say the SOAS is great, but you don't hear the same about the other factions variants, which are the exact same gun. Is it a placebo effect or are only TR giving it a change cause the failstorm is inferior to things like the cyclone?
  20. Biddion

I second this. If you don't like this weapon then you aren't playing infiltrator correctly. It's not a weapon for close engagements, which you'll lose mostly with any weapon. Watch your surrounding, jump around the map, and pick off targets before they return fire.