So how much useless tweaking is SOE going to do before declaring the Canister garbage?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ThreePi, Apr 21, 2014.

1. ThreePi

The thing has been the laughing stock of the game since it released. Its never been good. Its never been useful. Its never even had somewhat of a niche where it may be slightly more useful than any other option. You could give it a 50 round magazine and it would still be awful.
    • Up x 2
  2. Alarox

• Up x 5
  3. EliteEskimo

I'm not sure why SOE thinks making close range weapons on a slow moving tank was a good idea in the first place. Tell me when they undo the super nerfs they gave the Vulcan and decide to finally make it into a powerful short-medium range AV Gatling gun. Better yet, tell me when the developers start driving the tanks in this game so they actually know what the heck they are doing when it comes to balancing their weapons/abilities.
    • Up x 10
  4. XXBLACKATTACKXX

AI weapons need splash and range
    Canister has neither

AI weapons should suppress and slaughter many targets

Give it explosive pellets and then it might work.
    • Up x 2
  5. Scr1nRusher

The canister needs to do damager to all types of armors.

its a super shotgun......
    • Up x 1
  6. WorldOfForms

The canister would be fun if they switched its role to an AV weapon. Then it could be a brutal, high DPS close range brawler weapon.

But then still allow it to also slaughter infantry at close range, heh.
  7. Pikachu

Make it shoot shotgun shells that explode 2 meters in front of the target.
  8. AshHill07

To be fair I've been getting quite a few kills with it since the update, which is weird considering I'm usually driving the Vanguard not gunning. Also I've had quite a few random pubies jump in as gunner and they've all managed quite a few kills with it, at least the ones that don't immediately don't jump back out do.

So, garbage? No. Underpowered? Probably. As good as the Kobolt? No, definitely not.

Although it certainly seems to be newbie friendly, but then what shotguns aren't?
  9. Paperlamp

They need different secondary weapons for different vehicles too, what's good on a harasser isn't necessarily good on an MBT. They should be balanced separately.
    • Up x 1
  10. iller

4 guys have auraxiumed it accross both.... #xXxMLG420YoloSwagxXx

I hear the Duster's a lot worse tho
  11. ABATTLEDONKEY

I used it the other day. It's improved but still totally lacking. As a harassed weapon it's actually ok, but the harassed is so weak that the weapon is largely useless since you have to be very close.
  12. Phos!

AI secondaries are nice when there are hoards of infantry and little else around for some reason. I've frequently found infantry to be at least as big a threat as enemy vehicles, typically I find that the AT primary + an AI secondary is the way to go when attacking sunderers. But then again, this setup is for prowlers, on a vanguard I'd almost go the other way around, HE primary and the Enforcer to really deal the damage. Real problem for this set up are all the heavy assaults playing peekaboo. Haven't actually gotten a chance to try the canister in action though, has me wondering if the burst could make up for the lack of splash.

And while we're talking about AI secondaries, why is it OK for the vanu to have a 40 round magazine on a weapon with basically the same damage output and reload speed as one with a 10 round magazine?
    • Up x 2
  13. Revanmug

It's pretty much an anti-Harasser already. It suffer the exact same problem as the stupid air hammer. It's a large COF with random pellets trying to hit small target like infantry which force you to be very close to actually land enough pellets on a target to be deadly. Air hammer has an extremly small explosion to help you deal with it unlike the modified enforcer though.

But against a target that is much larger, like a vehicule, most of those pellets will land creating large burst of damage which end up being very good at AV. This is the main reason they heavily nerfed the Air hammer a year ago and also the reason you can one clip harasser with a Modified enforcer, assuming you are close enough for the fallout damage to be minimal.
  14. Lucidius134

Been asking this since beta as a VS main in bet and live.

'>'
  15. Llaf

Marauder and Canister need buffs to be on the same level as the PPA. There's pretty much no way around that.
    • Up x 1
  16. Iridar51

Yeah, that worked good for the Vulcan, didn't it? :rolleyes:
  17. metrotw

marauder is a useless piece of trash too now so don't cry too much.

ppa is beastly, in usual soe fashion it got way overbuffed
  18. WorldOfForms

Except the Vulcan is on the Prowler, which is a long-range skirmisher when it comes to AV work. Prowler sits far away and plays artillery with lockdown, and has the speed to run away when engaged.

The vanguard's strength is in ambushing other tanks at close range. A close range AV weapon fits that role.
  19. FateJH

Ambushing is not Vanguard-specific. All tanks do well when they ambush the enemy.
    • Up x 1
  20. TheKhopesh

At least the Marauder does vehicle damage.