So Heavy Assault and Engineer...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by S0LAR15, Apr 14, 2013.

1. S0LAR15

both OP classes right now?

Now I'm a LA 99% of the time, so I'm not going to pretend I'm looking at this from all angles, that being said I've played these classes obviously.

Heavy Assault:
    Now it seems to me that rocket launchers are too easy to use at point blank range as a heavy, no shield required, the splash damage will not kill you, you can just pop it off in someones face and take the splash no problem.

(Make the splash marginally more lethal)

The shield. this thing plus nano weave is basically broken as ****. Now I can understand it's use for fighting Tanks and Aircraft, but when you think about it vs infantry it makes sense, especially given the heavys already stupid rocket launcher for use at any range. The speed reduction imo, doesn't really make for enough of a drawback.

(Taper it's profile to protect vs explosives and vehicle weaponry and not infantry guns, or just straight up reduce it slightly.)

Concussion nades are really good.

Not saying anything should happen to them, but it's stupid when the heavy assault has a better room entry nade than the light assault......

Let's not forget that this class is the class with the launchers.........is it not enough utility for them?

Engineer:
    Much the same as the heavy these guys just have way too much utility.

The semi-recent addition of the AV turret blew my mind. I mean the utility of engineers is already probably the best in the game, prox mines, tank mines, C4 (sure everyone gets it, but they can carry 6 C4s?!), repair tool, ammo resupply, mana turret (which aside from being a suppressor, is really good for killing, and beefs you up for direct frontal fighting), and they gave them a ******* AV turret? It's not like the primary weapon of Engineers is a only a pistol. WTF is supposed to be the trade off here?

(Nerf the engis kit somewhere, and substantially, it is simply WAY too effective and universal, for offense, defense, team support, AV, AI. If it were me, I'd remove the Av turret or make it weaker, and probably weaken AI mines)

Why do these things? Currently the game is a spam of heavy assaults and engineers, which can outperform and bring superior utility compared to all the other classes (MAX included). It's making the game seem much, much staler than it should at this point, and limiting the strategic and tactical gameplay for casual non-outfit players (hell, even in outfits, 80% of players play these noob classes).

Compare to LA. You give up a huge amount of team utility and support, and gain a pretty limited jet pack (NOTHING else). I feel like if the LA was designed in the same vein (by the same person) as the HA and the engi, you'd expect him to be able to deal double damage to infantry compared to the other classes (or something equally ridiculous), whilst also moving faster default, and having insane flashbangs that also did half frag damage. You get the idea.

I expect someone will say "go play HA/engi, and **** noob". This rant really isn't about "**** it I'm just going to play the OP" or moaning about LA being weaker, it's about the extremely boring gameplay these two all rounder classes are providing simply because they are too good at too many roles. They need to be more specialized like the other classes are, and/or less effective at these roles. The game badly needs it. Between SOE being SOE, all the gameplay bugs, and other stupid stuff we're getting pushed on us for money, this is probably among the biggest reason people will be put off. HA and engi making the game play and feel homogenous and limited.
  2. ChaosRender

So are you asking for HA and engis to be removed? LA to be buffed? And last but not least what class should people be playing if not a Engi or a HA?
    • Up x 2
  3. S0LAR15

I suggested some changes, that's what I guess I'd go for, but the

tl;dr is: NERF HA and Engi.

Now you could do this in many ways, but the point is they excel at pretty much everyrole and provide a lot of utility with no real drawback or sacrifice.

My comparison to the LA is a stark one, since that is pretty much the only class with ZERO team utlity. The Infiltrator is arguably better than LA for providing utility and with the recent stealth flashes they have, they become even more viable. Now as for buffing LA, SOE has "roadmapped" that as a thing "to do", but who knows what that'll come to.
  4. Dalistro

I've played each class a fair amount of time so I obviously know what I am talking about,
    LA ~30% HA,ENG,INF ~20%
    Imo they are all balanced. There will obviously be more HA's and Engineers around since HA's are basically the standard unit and Engineers are generally used by the vehicle spammers.

From reading ur post it sounds like you only want to play LA and want it to be buffed and able to kill all infantry. Perhaps you should spend more time with the other classes to get a better feel of them.
    • Up x 2
  5. Hibiki54

You do realize that LA's and Medics can kill armor just as fast as an HA and Engineer, right? MAXs and Ninja's are the only two classes with no access to C4.

The ESRLs and standard rockets do not make HA's OP.
    • Up x 1
  6. Kon

LA is OP.. i started using it i farm people like crazy now
    • Up x 1
  7. Dubious

LA with a shotgun is OP OP

Rockets just need a change to not OHK infantry
  8. rocket1615

The only real imbalance i see here is the Av turret, it should have been a low bullet drop, high accuracy and high bullet speed dumbfire launcher. From a medic's view i find myself getting killed more by HA than engi or la but i do tend to find more enemy HA. LAs have advantages that can also be used to do a better job than HA. Jetpacking over a tank and C4ing it is often safer than going in as HA.
    • Up x 1
  9. Dubious

AV Turret >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Phoenix

WTB Scope on AV Turret
  10. ACE McFACE

If you think the rocket launchers can be used at any range you are sorely mistaken

Default lauchers + decimator: Slow so only good if the vehicle isn't moving if its far away, otherwise you have to be at least somewhat close
    Lockons: You're statement is a bit more valid with these but they do have a limit to their range
    Pheonix: Good range, accurate for tanks within that range. But can't be dumb fired so much harder to use against infantry that are in your face.
    Lancer: Excellent range, but doesn't do much to infantry at all. Which is what you seem to be complaining about.
  11. S0LAR15

LA does farm like crazy!

I don't mind LA as it is right now. Playing LA is badass, you are a walking teabag, the coolest of the cool etc and so forth. Still

LA buffing:

Dual weild weapons? new abilities? Sounds like SOE and any decent player knows LA is due some enhanced killing power or some more utility to actually stand on the same footing as other classes. They do at least know it would be difficult to do this and have put it back multiple times; I don't want LA to be some noob class so I'm glad they are taking their time.

C4 is basically available to all. I know C4 is the only utility a LA can provide, and i provide it well, I've nearly got ******* auraxium with it! Still, since every class except infil has it, it's not like it's some specific utility, and I only mention it for engi since he can use his Engi only suit slot to carry half a barrel of it NPbro.

It stands to be pretty ******* obvious that Ha and engi are too good all round in a fashion the other classes are not. Denying this is ********. Now whether SOE wants that, intended that or not, it is does make for a stale game. Stale game = people will move on since it has not alot of depth = SOE can't farm money for SC = ...........
  12. S0LAR15

More in reference to the "I can fire it in my own face and.....np you're dead bro". Obviously, they don't function at *any* range, but firing it at your own feet is getting tiring to have to bait.
  13. Fiatsu

You were making some good points until you said Nerf.
    Grow up.

What you want is more abilities/ options added to the other classes as is needed not removing of the same from other better classes.
    LA/ Medic needs some fancy toys as well is all nothing more nothing less.
    • Up x 4
  14. Dubious

Medic got enough fancy tools, the only new thing I can think of is a heal pack, kinda like the engineers supply one (taking damage stops the healing)

LA can fly, what more do they need?
  15. MCSquard

point 1 rockets in melee - ok you know that makes sense, I don't know how many times I have been a max and turning a hall to come face to face with a hostile HA and get a rocket to the face and point blank range and watch as we walks off with broken shields while im laying in a puddle of max parts on the ground.

point 2 HA over shield - the HA over shield to me is relatively use less, I play HA a lot as I like to deal with vehicular threats first but from my experience the over shield grants you maybe 4-5 bullets extra life worth before you are toast, and in this game that's not even enough time to spin around on your attacker

Point 3 ENG AV turret - Ok first off I have yet to see this used effectively in any large scale front ( or the AP version) these things are literally INF snacks on a pod with how they stop you from moving while conveniently leaving your head exposed , oh and the trade of is that the ENG has no Activatible ability

Point 4 LA are lame - First and foremost the ability to scale generally any structure loaded with not only a high power rifle but a grenade launcher and attacking from vectors only they can reach is the LAs main advantage, you would be surprised how may people don't look up when people around them start dieing

Point 5 People only play HA and ENG - for me this is caused by the poor overall design of the cert system in the game and how long it takes to get any of the upgrades that most would consider standard. for a starting player the only class that deals with vehicles well is the HA with a launcher, most will say well get C4 you noob, that player on the other had will do what's easiest and stay a HA, conversely the only class in the game that does not have to worry about ammo is the ENG and again most will say get extended ammo banks or clip sizes, and again the cert cost for that is prohibitive for new players.
  16. WalrusJones

Probably a hybrid active skill slot ability, think like what the infiltrator has.

They are the only class with a unique class of weapon that lacks such an ability......
    Since, we are not getting a medium assault, from the medic nom nom nom'ing them.....

KF style healing darts (When it hits an ally, they get a brief period of regeneration, the darts regenerate over time.... Basically: More burst healing, less sustained healing, more range.)
  17. S0LAR15

.......And strengthening the LA & Medic classes is.........NERFING the others.

Since adding things will more than likely take much longer and be harder to pull off properly/in ablanced fashion, why can't we tone down some of the strength these two classes have? Because nerfing is somehow bad? Why don't you grow up and debate it?
  18. WalrusJones

The big way to make the other classes competitive with the HA is this:

Add Adrenalin syringes, that are like consumable adrenalin shield boot ups, with the limitation being the lack of recharging, and the fact that you basically have to pull out a syringe, inject yourself, pull out your weapon, and then start a kill streak to make good use of them.

Make sure that every unique weapon oriented class has an ability that is a hybrid with the HA resist shield, but weaker at copying the HA's shield (As opposed to 45%, 25%->35% at level 6,) and lower duration over their own unique class active skill.
    (EX. Jump jets that provide DR on takeoff, to improve escape capabilities.... Maybe with really high thrust, very low fuel, a slow recharge, and fall resist. Short burst nano regen of a sorts... An Infiltraitor cloak that shields you... Wait, we have that one....)

This would allow other classes to specialize in rough and dirty combat, while slightly reducing their capabilities in their own, specialized role, greatly improving class variety in down and dirty fights, where we get the light assaults doing their newfangled explosive hops, Infiltrators..... Escaping when discovered.... and medics getting down and dirty like they were a medium assault.
  19. ChaosRender

You have to have a hybrid class, it is attractive to a lot of people and HA and engi are those hybrid classes.
    LA and Medics really don't need a buff unless it come as a give or take. The reason is revive is already starting to become a problem, and jetpack are a problem.

Now lets say you take a HA rocket launcher away or make it so they can only have a launcher and a pistol.....why play heavy at that point you are basically a really crappy sniper who cant snipe.
    And all the tools of the Engineer class are iconic to the class sot eh only real choice is take their carbine a way and only let them have pistols, so they are a support only class with no other use.
    But then we run in to a new problem now we have nerfed both those class people move to another class and now all we will ever fight a Medics spamming revive and people flying around on jetpacks.
  20. S0LAR15

1. It is ******** isn't it? Rocket in melee shouldnt be happening. It's not about realism, it's just an abuse.

2. A good HA can make this thing into, "I win every 1v1 fight", a pro HA with adrenaline becomes god mode vs multiple enemies. It just seems like if you made the shield less about fighting inf and more effective protection vs vehicles, HAs would be more specialized towards AV/AA warfare and less general noob class. Which someone already said above, it's harder for a HA to take down a tank than a LA with C4, which makes no sense. (Though that's due to noob drivers who have no situational awareness, and MBT balance).

3. The Av turret range makes it basically a AV sniper of sorts, it just seems to strengthen the engis AV capacity in a bad way, ranged critical mass in this game can get pretty horrific, why add another spammable, ranged AV option like this? It's not like engi needed it!!!!!!!!

4. I know this, it's how I roll. Still this does not qualify as a utility, doubly so if a heavy can just adrenaline shield his way through the front door with a rocket launcher.........

5. You might be right, certs do have a role to play in opening up classes, still, the main reason I feel is that these classes are superior to others in too many ways.