So... Flashlight Gels

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Wobulator, May 5, 2014.

1. Wobulator

Basically, they are cosmetics to put on darklights to make shapes on them. What are your opinions?

Personally, I think that the devs could be doing much better things, but w/e.
    • Up x 10
  2. Elrobochanco

The thing is, "little" features are things that are likely not being worked on by the game guy who's in charge of making sure the PS2 can use multiple cpu threads, or how it prioritizes network traffic, or whatever large scale things affect the very core of the game functioning or balancing.

Your flashlight is already projecting a texture, the amount of work to make it project a different texture is likely something someone did as a lark, and then it was up to someone to make a way to actually select that while in game.

I think stuff like the crosshair is a good idea, I have yet to really see anything else I would consider.
    • Up x 1
  3. Wobulator

Sorry, was confused/ignorant of job assignments.
  4. Nakar

They're pretty funny, and if they encourage more flashlight use more power to 'em.

The crosshair one is OP though.
  5. Regpuppy

They just need to add outfit decals in now. :p
  6. Doomzzg

Still stupid
    • Up x 2
  7. biterwylie

Garbage.
    • Up x 2
  8. JorgeSarcos

I think they are a genius idea for marketing something new into the game, they are fun, unique, and dont unbalance the game, its nice to have this kind of details, if you dont like or are a free2play then dont buy them im sure it wont bother you, some people would like a cool addition to their game and this is a minor addition that im sure some people will like :)

EDIT: And before someone starts flaming on me because forumside... i dont use flashlights ;)
  9. Doomzzg

Oh look, it's T-Ray in disguise
  10. tigerchips

What's next.. glow in the dark teddies?

Here, i made a video...

...I think you get my point!
    • Up x 6
  11. tigerchips

I'd probably change my mind if someone made a Thundercats one though.
    • Up x 1
  12. Jeralamo

NEW Planetside 2 Medic and Engineer back pack skins!!
    [IMG]

Proxy mine skin..
    [IMG]
    • Up x 5
  13. iMartyr

I'd be down for the bat signal
  14. Xebov

I think its Garbage. You want the game to be played on MLG, but you add cosmetics that are more in the Style of Battlefield Heroes. It was allready stupid enought that we have stuff like Lumifiber or Chassilights (do you know how annoying it is when your Vehicle gets found at night because a super smart guy uses these?).

Instead of wasting time on this crap you should have started to Fix the Decals for Infantry, wich still not show on Composite, and on Vehicles, teh galaxy for example still has its Decal only on one side and the Magrider Decal gets hidden by Frontarmor and Bodykits.
    • Up x 3
  15. Arkha3

It's fine. I'm pretty sure the ability to change the flashlights shine template was already there, now it's just an option for players. Not like it took hours upon days to make. I seriously doubt the art team would know how to fix decals for infantry or figure out how to display decals over mbt armor.

A better option, as currently this will clutter the sidearm extensions tab: Have your currently equipped player arm decal show up on the flashlight from an 'enhanced', slightly more expensive darklight modification
  16. JorgeSarcos

You say the Gel is Garbage yet you ask for Decals to be fixed when both details are in the same line of silliness, sounds legit.

\BTW... you didnt hear the news?

[IMG]

from reddit
    • Up x 1
  17. eldarfalcongravtank

let me recap: ....only a matter of time until this game becomes nothing but TF2 with vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  18. TheBlazing

I think that the border of the projected texture is too sharp (in reality, it would slowly fade from light to darkness), and the distance falloff is also too sudden.

I also think that, not just for flashlights, instead of teddy bears and rainbows the devs should try something more militaristic and mature. It's not like just because Team Fortress 2 has ridiculous and stupid cosmetics, all other F2P games should - TF2 is already nonsensical and cartoonish by itself, but Planetside 2 is not. I'd like cosmetics to more closely match the style of the game instead of breaking it. For example, more flashlight crosshairs, more skulls and other scary images, less rainbows.
  19. Jeralamo

Decals on infantry and vehicles isnt the same as these flashlight gels. WWII planes and even modern combat vehicles have decals on them. Most times I don't even notice peoples decals unless its on a galaxy in the warpgate. With these I can already imagine I'm defending a capture point at a base or tower. I'm looking around checking the entrances when I see a stupid smiley face or a damn rainbow shining big and bright against the buildings wall. I think I will shoot the guy using the flashlight gel...
    • Up x 1
  20. JorgeSarcos

LOL The rainbow (if you havent noticed) is an armor decal too and tell me how this is is any different:

You will be surprised how little i chenged your text ;)