So did anybody actually want the fall damage back?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Elrobochanco, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Elrobochanco

I know, plenty of complaint threads about PU02. And I don't have enough time played since patch to really be invested in most. But one thing that really slapped me in the face was the return of fall damage to pretty minimal drops.

I wanted to hear what other people have to say. Does anybody think the game is more fun with more punishing fall damage? I don't quite understand the change since it doesn't change the height of things regular players can fall/survive vs LA, it's just more of a greater annoyance for both of them. What is the benefit to the enjoyment of players?

For exmaple pre patch you could walk off the top of a amp station wall tower, drop onto the wall top and keep going just fine. Now doing that will injure you.

Maybe I'm not thinking of whatever the upper limit was, but it feels just kind of silly that just dropping from a single floor up is damaging to a regular player, and jetpack wasting for LAs. Am I crazy is there a reason for this to be here (especially with all the fall damage nullifying tricks like elevator pads still existing).
    • Up x 7
  2. CL4p2p

Agree... the previous was a bit permessive but enough for the game... that doesn't need to be buffed this much... But hey, SoE's Dev.
    • Up x 1
  3. Hatesphere

meh, most of the fall damage comes off your shield if you aren't being crazy, and that regens. as for "wasting LA jets" yeah no, it takes like a half second bust or less for most ranges you are complaining about to prevent taking damage.
  4. Necron

I have to admit, no, not really.
  5. Liquid23

fall damage has always been rather wonky in this game... sometimes you can jump off the platforms in a tower and take none because you landed on a slight incline... other times you jump off a 3 foot high box and lose your shields and a chunk of health
    • Up x 5
  6. AxisO7

They should go back to how it was originally. The 'jump off the top of a tower and not take fall damage' that we had for the last couple of weeks was obviously far too much, but what we have now is too far the other way.
    • Up x 2
  7. RHINO_Mk.II

Anyone else puzzled by the fact that if you touched a gravity lift or jump pad in the past N seconds, it doesn't matter HOW far you fall, you still take 0 damage.
  8. Rikkit

I like the change, that now many things are climb-able by nearly evvery calls.
    And in the past i never have had a big problem with fall damage. normaly it is possible to use a nearby lift or jumppad to survive any falldamage for 6 sec. Or you could "wall-walk" to get to the ground.
  9. Astriania

It might not be convenient but it's good for the game that you can't jump off a tower and not get hurt. A bit of a shock after last week though.
  10. Dark Pulse

That's been in the game pretty much forever. It has to be because some kickers kick you damn far, at a speed that'd kill you by impact otherwise.

The time limit for it is six seconds, by the way.
  11. Canaris

yeah fall damage is b0rked I keep seeing people jump off very tall buildings (amp station roofs) and not get hurt, but slip off a 1 story balcony and die. :eek:

The dev's need to command the nanites to install shock absorbers into our boot soles, since we're like cats and always lad on our feet it should work ;)
    I'm not happy with how fall damage is working at the moment in game, needs to be tweaked so it isn't so harsh.
  12. Spartan101

You guys take fall damage? Chumps
    :p
    I honestly didn't notice they broke fall damage. Cause I don't take fall damage, ever.
  13. FateJH

I like the way fall damage is now. You can still sometimes cheat it by pressing jump before you land but over-all it is fine.
  14. ironeddie

Decent fall damage now all I need is the ability to shove. And I can start pushing the enemy to their deaths.
    • Up x 1
  15. Mhak

I, for one, enjoy barely surviving a 2v1 firefight with only a little health left, feeling victorious, only to slide a few feet down a ledge in my attempt to escape the wrath of his companions and die because of the insane fall damage.

It adds an element of realism, you know? Like when I threw my PC out the window, the guy who got hit by it really felt it. I'm sure that's how someone would feel in real life if they barely managed to survive an unlikely situation, only to have their fate sealed by an extremely shallow ditch stealing away the little life they had left. Real. Furious.
    • Up x 1
  16. vulkkan

It's annoying and pretty funny too, when you whittle an enemy down to 1HP and get the kill credit because the guy you were fighting slipped on a pebble and died.
  17. Liquid23

I miss the days when the fall damage after being ejected from a locked galaxy would kill you... it was so much fun to pick up load of unsuspecting people from the warpgate and then drop them all to their death before you made it to even the closest base... then going back to the warpgate to do it again
  18. Locked & Loaded

Speaking of weird gravity mechanics, I've also noted that before the recent patch whenever you used a lift to get to the 3rd floor in a tower (from the spawn lifts not the outside ones) it used to launch you in a small arc so you would get lifted up and land in the middle of the room.
    However, now when you use the lift it launches you straight up, then you bang your head on the ceiling and land down on the little gravity shield thing you passed through and not in the middle of the room.

Just something I observed.
  19. Nexus545

20. NC_agent00kevin

I still occasionally jump off things that I didnt get hurt from before; not the top floor of towers but the second floor. It really shouldnt hurt as much as it does. Part of what makes navigating bases painful is the maze-like routes you have to take to get around them. Its frustrating.