So about those high pings

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ProfessorHobbes, Aug 20, 2014.

1. ProfessorHobbes

So I've seen a lot of threads about people complaining about their ping being too high and how SOE needs to fix it and what not. However I just learned that the ping that shows up in the tab menu is a combined ping, meaning it takes into account your latency to the server and the servers processing time as well. So the reason that it says you have a good ping when it is 150-170 is because well...it is a good ping. Basically that isn't just your latency to the server so your connection is actually good. Thought people should know so they can stop complaining.
    • Up x 2
  2. Pikachu

Then why is it usually 67? Why does it recently jump up to 300`?
    • Up x 4
  3. Botji

"Hi guys I just wanted to inform you that having 150ms to my server is actually a good ping, I mean its so SLOW that it adds ~100ms to your ping because thats how long it takes the server to complete a cycle so really, having a 150ms ping is really good, I promise!

Now you can stop complaining about the server being slow because they are, and thats why the pings are high just as you have been saying all along."

Guess what people would tell this up and coming server host if he said something like that?
    Things you cant put in writing on this forum without being banned, thats what.

If the ping is 150-170 because thats how long my ping + server processing time is then they kinda have to upgrade their server so it doesnt take that long for it to do its work... I mean this is kinda like people complaining to their ISP about their internet being slow and getting a response : no dont worry, we only have 56k modems so your speeds you are posting are actually really good!
    • Up x 5
  4. Zotamedu

150 is not good. The game even tells me that buy giving me a yellow dot. Then I get the odd lag spikes. Now I quit after getting a ping of 9000. Then it got better for a minute with only 400 but it still refused to let me use the regeneration field. When it spiked back up to several thousands again, I quit.

Still better than yesterday when they didn't even show me the ping. It was so bad that they only showed indar as a continent, no other showed up in the map list. I had one spawn and that was a base, not even the warpgate. Tried to spawn there and didn't work. Tried to turn the game off and it didn't work. Think that last ninja patch broke something important.
  5. LibertyRevolution

I guess you were waiting in processing que for .24 secs, server was probably busy processing some zerg...

You can have 200ms+ ping and it still says "good" and be green...
    I was on briggs with a 240ms ping it called "good" and was green..
  6. GhostAvatar

Whether it is purely ping or a combination of voodoo magic. 100+ ms is approaching bad for an FPS, especially an FPS that has such a fast TTK. 200+ ms is very bad, considering it is the average human reaction time. This is why people are complaining, because they could be dead before they even have a chance to react.

The current state has produced many "WTF just killed me" moments. Then you see it is some average Joe. And you sit there scratching your head, as you didnt even feel one bullet before you hit the death screen. Add in the FPS hitches and people rightly complain about the present state the game play is in and the hardware used to run it.
    • Up x 1
  7. Abraham with Cheese

People here whining about 300 ping. I usually play between 100 and 300 ping.

I once hit 250,000 ping.

I am not joking.
  8. Arkenbrien

300 ping?

HA!

I play with nothing less than 700.
    • Up x 2
  9. IamnotAmazing

so you're telling me that 150-200 is good when I usually have 50 and (I"m pretty sure) live right next to the server?
    • Up x 2
  10. TheKhopesh

Oh, for the love of glorious Blue and Gold Freedom, YES!

This.
    This right here.
    /thread.
  11. TheKhopesh

...And I'm sure you suffer from that greatly.
    (Not even sure why you bother playing, if that's true.)
  12. Borsty

700ms ping? Dude, that's even too high to properly play Starcraft 2 or any other strategy game. Forget every winning a CQC fight against anyone not asleep :D
    • Up x 1
  13. Whatupwidat

Miller I used to get a ping of about 40-30ms. Now it's about 200-400ms (or says it is anyway)

This IS a problem as:
    - reviving friendlies takes longer to register meaning I'm essentially back to a level 2 meditool
    - many "why am I now dead?" moments
    - Medpacks no longer healing despite being used
    - many bemused friendlies getting healed by my meditool on my screen but not on theirs
    - slow chat
    - C4 being thrown on my screen but not existing in the game
    - hit registry is off. WAAAAAY off
    - not getting XP for heals, repairs, revives, or resupplies - or at least not getting any indication I am

Used to be fine on Miller, even in the early days when it's pop was as big as it is now post-merge - it's only since the merge this **** has become an issue for me.
    • Up x 3
  14. jiggu

[PSA] I have no idea what I am talking about
    • Up x 2
  15. Borsty

Ping on Miller is very continent sensitive. Indar is terrible, others are, if avoiding massive zergfests, fine.
  16. Pikachu

Awesome. [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  17. Regpuppy

I don't care what justification you try to give it. When I'm getting medkit and deployable delays I haven't seen since beta, something is not right.
    • Up x 2
  18. TheKhopesh

Yep, I'm finding that Connery is like this as well here since the latest patch.
    It used to be that I'd have about a 80-95 ping in 24-48/24-48 battles.
    (all the way up to 160 TOPS in +48/+48's on Indar.)

Now, just running around a 1-12/1-12 battle, few more guys show up, not even enough to hit 12-24 on the enemy or friendly pop.
    BOOM!
    Ping goes from about the 110-140 range I was getting up to 200-400 or higher (Indar is unplayable, with pings steadily sitting at +1,200 MS or higher).
  19. Whatupwidat

I'll have to try finding a decent fight that isn't on Indar - but I'm pretty sure Hossin was the exact same last time I played.
  20. GrizzV

Do you people know what a ping is? Go read up on the ICMP protocol.

150 is a lot.
    • Up x 1