smokes?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Jellyman_E, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Jellyman_E

how many of you infiltrators agree that we should have smoke grenades? I understand we have cloak and all, but it could give us a few more seconds to get away unscathed from a really sticky situation or allow us to hack while still remaining unseen. ill gladly trade them for decoys.
    • Up x 5
  2. TimeRabbit

Its called teamwork.....
  3. Dr. Euthanasia

It's thematically appropriate and actually brings a lot of utility to team based operations, where this class is lacking. I approve.
    • Up x 2
  4. Jellyman_E

I understand teamwork but a infiltrator is meant to go out alone ahead of the pack. The only class I know has smokes is light assault, and I don't know too many people playing that class cause I guess theyre broken or something along those lines.
    • Up x 1
  5. Kaisuke7

signed, I was surprised this was already available for a stealth class...Some times I wonder who through this class together when they were drunk in the middle of the night .
  6. Plague Rat

I approve of smoke grenades for infi. I honestly feel like they should maybe be a universal cert available to and shared between all classes, like medkits. Doubt I'd use them but it's nice to have the option.

But I just have to say, thinking of the infiltrator is 'meant' to be a lone wolf class moving independent from the group can be a pretty limiting perspective, especially with the team focus of the game. Some of the most fun I've had lately has been hooking up with a few other infiltrators, getting organized, and harassing the holy hell out of an enemy defense until they're all neurotic (that cloak sound is a lot less funny when there are about 10 of them), or just rolling with a mixed squad doing the recon-designated marksman thing.

Also... since GU04 we have something new to do with a team. It won't get you a lot of certs, if any... but oh my god, I giggle like a kid that just got their first puppy, because SOMEONE (me me me) needs to drive the wraith cloaking flash backwards (scrapper chassis FTW) into enemy assets while the Heavy with C4 in the rumble seat sticks em, or suddenly appear amidst any enemy tank rush and get the rumble seat engi with utility pouches to create an impromptu mine field at 70kph...

Seriously, since GU04 I feel like I'm playing some bizzare version of "Crazy Taxi" with enough explosive ordiance to make Michael Bay feel inadequate.
  7. Jellyman_E

I guess I'm limiting myself. I'm helping my team by going to the next place hacking all the terminals and turrets, then waiting in a nest with my rifle(still by myself), picking off people, and waiting for my squad to come up on a base that is turned in our favor cause of me. If I was going to fight with the pack I think I would be better of playing a heavy assault or an engineer.

I was just thinking how nice it would be for us Snipers to have smokes for clearing a good room to use as a nest, And Infiltrators use them to go through a tower and wreak havoc to the place and never be seen. Maybe it will stop people from complaining that the cloak is broken.
  8. Granveil

Important to note, LA have access to the underslung smoke launchers on one of their guns. More appealing since they don't require infantry resources. So they wouldn't pack smoke grenades anyway, despite being the only class with access to them.

It's only borderline thematic, but it does work well in tandem with your stealth (as the only way to deal with smoke is IRNV which is circumvented with stealth).
  9. Cigg

Is the teamwork called a decoy as using stealth leaves your team in the cross-hairs, I think the distraction grenade might be better.
  10. Jellyman_E

They took out the HS/NV's capability of seeing cloaked infiltrators out sadly...
  11. Jellyman_E

Have you used the decoy grenade? Please check it out in the VR Training or look up some videos on it.
  12. Granveil

That's...exactly what I said? The countermeasure for smoke is usually IRNV or low settings. Infiltrators get around IRNV with their cloak. And I'd hardly call it "sad" considering they have a tough enough time making their cloak work for them WITHOUT having a cheap counter for it.

As for the Decoy Grenade, "Oh look, I don't care" just about sums it up. Not even worth the infantry resources to buy it, let alone the certs. It makes loud noises and shows up on the map. It just doesn't provoke the right reaction to be useful.
  13. Jamiean [NC]

I personally use the decoy grenades to great effect. It's all down to knowing when is the best time to use them.

Example one would be our base and squad being assaulted by filthy TR prowlers. We had anti-tank capabilities but were struggling to take them down as they were ripping apart our squad. A decoy grenade thrown at the tank itself caused enough confusion for the driver that he spun his turret around to look behind him at what was shooting, allowing some of our squad to run from one building to the next.

Example two, a camped point. A decoy grenade thrown into a building will almost always pull one or two people from the point to look into the building. Combine that with an already-placed APM means someone's going to end up missing a leg. Alternatively throwing one onto a roof or into a corner can draw that target into your crosshairs.

Example three, camping a point. Throw it at the point and watch your squaddies run around panicking at what's firing. Good for laughs at 5am.