Small outfits becoming increasingly irrelavent as the game moves to zergside

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Quovatis, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Quovatis

Long time PS1 and PS2 player here. What I loved about PS1 is that a small outfit could still make a difference and have a good time. You could capture a cave, destroy and hold a generator, drain a base, or hold a tower. Those all were meaningful to the battle, but could be accomplished by smaller groups. This has really been removed in PS2, and it's getting worse.

The biggest issue, IMHO, is the ability to spawn pretty much ANYWHERE in PS2. You used to need to hop or get a transport, but now, you can just jump to any base that's under attack. A small outfit who loads up a galaxy and drops on a base by surprise simply has no chance of capturing it now. The zerg will show up instantly because they can spawn there, regardless of where they are on the map. This has largely made the galaxy and other transport vehicles useless. I know it's popular for the short-attention span players that dominate PS2 now, but we really need to tone down the spawning options to better reward teamwork. The router is a problem too. In PS1 you needed to set up a link between the two points. But in PS2, you place it and the whole empire can spawn there instantly, which is insane.

So what can a small outfit accomplish in PS2 now? The Escalation update has made things even worse. It's hard to find a small enough fight to actually capture a base and get your outfit's name on it, therefore it's hard to gain resources. And when you do have enough for a Bastion, it really needs 20+ players on to make it effective. Reform the spawning, and give small outfits things to do again.
    • Up x 2
  2. IVANPIDORVAN

++++
    Transport vehicles is useless
    Valks and Gals mostly used for farm ground peasants
    Redeployside won
    • Up x 4
  3. Liewec123

welcome to Wrelside 2,
    you only have two options: zerg or get zerged.
    • Up x 1
  4. Campagne

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think it's better to be able to just spawn anywhere whenever the player wants.

Sure, it absolutely sucks when suddenly twenty guys appear out of nowhere and out-pop to kill the fight. Something should be done, if anything other than restricting spawns is even possible. But my number one frustration in PS2 is simply not being able to play.

Queues, crashes, freezing, double or even triple loading screens, not being able to spawn anywhere, anything that "physically" stops me from playing the game is worse than fighting an uphill battle. It's not fun to be in an unfair fight, but at least I can still play and can still have a bit of enjoyment somewhere in the mix.
  5. Twin Suns

You know the game is Zergside when you see small outfits doing races with harassers during a alert.
  6. Johannes Kaiser

Oh, yes, we had our community anniversary on Sunday and had an event where we only did stuff for the laughs. Harrasser races (obviously intercepted and pestered by enemy ESFs, because of course), bugyjumps off the cliff at Crown, trying an "airdrop" of a harrasser from a Galaxy (lesson: doesn't work, it has absolutely 0 traction on top there).
    Also, who knew that most Bastion pilots are utterly bamboozled when you drop a half-squad of MAXES on top of them to attack the hardpoints? Like, so hard it takes them half a minute to properly react and move the blasted thing. Was enough to destroy one point and a second one was only a few shots from going pop as well (might have been gone completely had we all had dual Falcon MAXes).
    • Up x 1
  7. AbsinthSvK

its there from start. You should adapt from that years.
    Usually playing in non prime time help or just join Zerg or defend from Zerg both options are fun in some way.

You and your small team can earn tons of XP and cripple Zerg spawn points (which are crucial) in fights. Also as small team you can just defend one capture point in huge fight and delay fight even for half of hour. Dont underestimate small teams. Usually big zergs dont use brain only power, easy to counter and make guerrilla war.
  8. Twin Suns

I reached out and asked them curiously what was up. They were celebrating a anniversary. Cool, guns in the air kinda thing. ;). I wished them many more anniversaries to come. They said winners of the various races being conducted received pre-paid cards. Again, very cool.

Lately I've been playing at least once a week on my PC toon. Hang with old friends and such. But I still mainly run on the PS4 version.

Happy Hunting o7
  9. TR5L4Y3R

the one thing that will hurt this game the most with its already small playerbase is to now remove the ability to spawn to every allied position ... it´s a massive timesaver to any casual player who wants quick action for whatever bit of time he can put into this game ...
    the game is already a niche, it´s F2P with A LOT of grinding unlike PS 1 (while i haven´t played it back in the day i´m still sure you would have to invest a good ammount of time into leveling for skillpoints)

the one thing your average player does not want is down time .. and you would make it all the more worse if a player needs to respawn of the far back of an allied base to get to another allied base close to an enemy one with a vehicle to then be able to repawn there, just to be shot down by some veteran to travel all the way again to then just finaly be allowed to actualy join a push on an enemy base be that with a sunderer or standart transport ...

at the very least i can tell you if i had to do this every time i would play this game for an hour having to spend half of it purely for traveling to bases i would just stop ... ... there are enough FPSs and other games that can and do offer more enjoymeant to me for the same timeinvestmeant if that were to be the case ... even more so now since i no longer have the luxury of playing the game for like 3 hours because of my worktimes .. and i´m surely not the only one affected ..
  10. Crayv

Getting resources as a zerg fit is extremely easy compared to a small fit. With more players they are more likely to get credit for capping a base and have people all over the map so anytime a base gets captured chances are someone from the outfit will get some of the credit for simply being there.

A small fit has to struggle just get enough points for the participation bonus in a fight because of how quickly bases cap and by the time a point is flipped the fight is basically already over.
    • Up x 1
  11. SiegeTank

"Quick action" button does this.

I agree with removing the ability to spawn anywhere. It makes the galaxy and other transports useful. I remember when PS1 and PS2 first came out, I drove a galaxy and transported squads and it was massive fun. That transport vehicles are practically useless says it all.

Make a faction on a continent pay for massive zerging as they lose all other bases they refuse to cover. As it is now, you mass zerg somewhere, quickly teleport a handful somewhere to deal with a threat, then go back to mass zerg.

This game has gold mine potential. They really need to rethink things like this.
    • Up x 2
  12. Blam320

I wholeheartedly agree. We need to be able to punish Zergs for deciding to brainlessly steamroll a lattice. We also need actual logistics to make a comeback; encourage people to want to keep Sunderers and such alive for transporting players, and make support gameplay interesting and fun to invest in. Construction could be very useful in this sense.
    • Up x 1