Slug changes, lower damage at range.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sturmwaffles, Feb 3, 2013.

1. TheEvilBlight

I just wish that battle rifles could be used in their intended role without resorting to shotgun slug workarounds.

Considering the game doesn't really have much diversity in engagement ranges: you're either in shotgun range, carbine/AR range or sniper range. And with renderside, it makes you wonder about weapons that were probably intended for medium range that are suddenly "long range" due to renderside.
    • Up x 1
  2. {joer

Thats a good point. People talk about short medium and long range, yet we don't have a clear idea what those really are. Obviously in your face is short, and 12X scope is long, but is 30m short or medium?
    • Up x 1
  3. UberBonisseur

Vanu weapons do not have bullet drop; they have (stronger) damage dropoff, and slugguns were "brought in line" with the faction philosophy (though 25m is dumb short).

This might be the reason you're looking for
  4. KageRyuuUjiMakai

Personally when I refer to CQC or Point Blank I'm talking the average width of most rooms, so about 0-10m, while short range is anything between CQC and Medium, as for Medium range, that varies for the weapon but it's when the shots required to kill increases by one, on average this happens around 50m or so, while long range is clearly around 75+ as this is when the shots to kill increases yet again for most weapons.

So as a rule of thumb for myself, Point Blank/CQC 0-10m, Short 10-50m, Medium 50-75m, Long 75+
  5. Enraged Platypus

As an NC using the Sweeper, I'm still getting 3 hit kills with bodyshots, I'm definitely not feeling the nerf.
  6. KageRyuuUjiMakai

I know for certain that you can get two shot body kills against most infantry if you're within 10m.
  7. Hodo

This.

I love my shotgun, but I love the look of the AMR-66 more, but I dont use it because the autoshotgun is far better at CQB than the AMR-66. And over all just better at everything than the AMR-66, with its rediculous round drop.

I have gone as far as to use my TRAC-5AMC as a medium range gun over the AMR-66 Battlerifle because it is far more accurate, and doesnt have the stupid round drop.
    • Up x 1
  8. Mightyhalo

U
    Uhm your ignorance speaks volumes when you resort to attacks to try and make an ill-informed point.

In a game like this, shot guns shouldn't kill anyone past 10m.
  9. Deth

Well that sucks.. I was wondering why that guy did not drop yesterday after my 3 shots. With the limited ammo and the extra certs spent on slug ammo and scope. It is not very effective anymore. I really liked the 3 shot drop feel to it. Yet another disappointment.. Oh well
  10. Kurreah

Does anyone understand enough about the weapon data to be able to pull out the actual stats?
  11. EvilKoala

..still better than a battle rifle

..A ******* BATTLE RIFLE
  12. Sevre

I've been screwing around with the SMG so much that I haven't played my sluggun build for a couple days.

I really hope they didn't Nerf my TR sluggun. It was a very enjoyable alternative build that not many people played. The point of slugs is to hit them in medium range, but they are almost a joke in short range. Also, It was hard to make those running shots with the slow speed and incredible drop. I felt really accomplished when I was able to hit people on the run with it.
  13. planitsider

Wel it is a bit better up close. But this isnt why we dit buy the slug.
    Theres no real use for the slug whit this update. Whit this big changes id like cert refund.
  14. Drsexxytime

In all honesty they should remove slug ammo from all auto-loaders. Slug ammo is something that should have been reserved for the pump action shotguns that SOE inevitably knew was getting put into the game. The thing I don't understand is how they're going to justify a "damage boost" to pump action shotguns, unless they whip up some kind of special ammo like incendiary rounds.

All I know is that the VS pump action will probably be the coolest animation wise lol.
    • Up x 1
  15. jak

I got reported by a guy for slug sniping...a lot of people in game don't understand how slugs work. It's a conditional playstyle that can be extremely effective, but will severely hamper you in CQC. The damage nerf...I'm not overly concerned with as I can still use slugs effectively. Just takes an extra shot or two.
  16. KageRyuuUjiMakai

Why would you even start off a sentence with "Uhm"? Seriously, in face to face conversation it's seen as a sign of a grasping mind unable to keep up with the pace of the conversation, so why would you include it?

That aside, reality trumps your wishful thinking and the game, while not based on 100% real physics, brings into it's world the reality that a shotgun can injure and kill well beyond 10m with the proper ammunition.

http://4.bp.************/-uUThyu7tSks/TzFO1P3T5oI/AAAAAAAABIM/TlDn2VqP_s0/s1600/dealwithitgandalf.jpg
  17. KageRyuuUjiMakai

In a word, Gauges, in two/three, Bigger/More Pellets.

Assuming that the pump action shotguns will be the same gauge as the autos is probably not the best way to start off thinking about it, additionally there's no reason why a Slug shouldn't work in an Auto, though there are a few reasons why using an Incendiary in an Auto Shotgun would be both dangerous and hilarious.
  18. Mightyhalo

Shotguns are just too easy at close range. I can deal with the players that need that crutch at close range, but to expand the kill range past 10m is totally unnecessary. The shotgun should be more of a situational weapon.

You wouldn't run around engaging in close combat with a sniper rifle, why should someone still be effective with a short range weapon at longer ranges? There are plenty of options for medium to longer range combat.

Pick your poison in a game like this. Makes it more challenging that way. The shotgun is still the most powerful weapon in CQC, and it should be without a doubt the weakest weapon at medium/long range.
  19. TheEvilBlight

Interested in seeing the pump actions deliver a full range of low pressure rounds. I'll laugh if they get a radar pinger round, a jammer round, a sabot round...
  20. Sevre

You are not listening at all.

Shotgun w/o slug = deadly CQC weapon, terrible ranged weapon
    Shotgun w/ slug ammo = terrible CQC weapon, deadly mid-range weapon

It had tradeoffs. I had times where I'd empty six shots with a sluggun close quarter, while getting shot, and miss every shot. Up close slugs were terrible.

Also, to your accusation that I wouldn't use a sniper up close: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/you-can-dominate-cqc-with-semi-autos.83557/ This thread is about CQC sniper rifles. This guy has videos where he's running around with the semi-auto sniper with the scope removed getting mad kills. I did the same build with my KSR on TR. It's the semi auto sniper you can put a 1x scope on, or even just use iron sights. It was actually the best choice in CQC back when scout rifles were an infiltrators alternative. Now the SMG is better, IMO. But yes, sniper rifles WERE used CQC, they just required a different technique.

Same with slugguns.