[Suggestion] slowing tool/liquid/thing

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by doomedking517, Mar 21, 2015.

1. doomedking517

I was thinking that, in many situations I like to escape a firefight in a building, but that damn LA is running after me, my cloak doesn't matter as soon as I'm running, I look like frosted glass for heavens sake. I'm guessing many infiltrators understand these feels, and I have seen many suggestions for speed increases on infiltrators. I looked at it another way, why increase our speed so that we can run in and hide, when we can simple drop a grenade-like item, it would last for 30 seconds wherever it was activated (affects both enemies and friendlies who run through it) and would have a radius of about 2.5-3 meters (possibly increasing with certs), - it would slow them by 50%, it would also effect vehicles to a lesser degree - except mag-rider - (thus helping you run from enemies in them - oh how I hate tanks that chase me as I'm trying to slip into a base and have no chance to escape as they are able to outrun me) possibly which in open spaces would allow a good AT team to get rid of the more mobile tanks, or if you get people, a good friendly infil, (whilst you are getting your butt away from their bullets) can possible put a good bolt action shot through their skulls, the tactical advantages are numerous, yet without being OP as they would still be able to see, turn, shoot etc. furthermore it would allow us to be good at capturing and holding points while awaiting backup, as slowing enemy flow to an objective by 50% would aid in the acquisition of a generator etc.
    I wasn't planning to have a 50% strength one, but it seemed too weak at 30% considering concussion grenades.

key factors/strengths:
    creates puddle of what can be assumed as a glue like substance, which slows all movement, (including LA jet-packs - clogs jets, lowering efficiency and thus speed) over a 2.5-3 meter radius
    lasts for 30 secs (a strategic getaway, slow enemy flow to objectives etc. don't require much longer)
    the effect strength is 50%
    if they leave the puddle or use jets, the effect lasts for 10 seconds before it goes (upgradeable).
    affects vehicles (lower effect say 15-20%?)

Cons:
    It gets you if you run in it, thus effectively removing any chance of escape.
    it affects teammates, which can increase the time it takes reinforcements to reach a location
    effect halved within medics regeneration field

opinions people?
    • Up x 3
  2. breeje

not an bad idea
    only i would like to see an speed increase for the infil, something like ZOE for the vanu max
  3. Skiptrace

This, actually sounds like a great Tool Slot idea for the Light Assault, though I could see this being another grenade option for Infil or even maybe Engi (as they only have Sticky Grenades.)
  4. MrJengles

I've always liked the idea of a slow grenade.
  5. doomedking517

Personally I thought that it would fit most classes, however I feel that infiltrators need more "use" in heated areas, not be better at 1v1 battle, but more options for escape, and this serves a lot of uses in my opinion that would be of particular benefit to the infiltrators due to their weaknesses in 1v1 combat, and really need something to aid an escape. though I do see a lot of uses for other classes.
  6. MisterSlim

I think I've seen it all now xD. Of all the things to give the cloaker class, why not a glue stick?
  7. doomedking517

I don't remember saying it was glue nor a stick, merely a "glue like substance" thus not necessarily glue, nor do I mention it being a stick (like how would a Pritt stick have an AOE???)
    secondly it was only an idea, if you don't like it state why but don't just be unpleasant and rude, that's just kinda uncalled for.
    Thirdly I thought it would cover a nice niche in the game that would have a good few uses, if you disagree state why, I'm always open to constructive criticisms.
    • Up x 1
  8. MisterSlim

[IMG]
    I didn't mean to come off as rude or unpleasant. My apologies. As a [GOTR] member, I'd like to apologize on behalf of them as well. We try our best to avoid stepping on others' toes, and I wouldn't want to misrepresent us as an outfit.

I like the idea as a whole, I think it was well-thought. I think that those of us that enjoy the close-range SMG skirmishy playstyle would find uses for it that further their style of gameplay by leaps and bounds. That said, do I have a specific use for something like that as a more long-range player? Probably not a whole lot, since a combination of my radar tool and situational awareness would get me just as far if not further than this tool. Also, I can see it being used in a very grief-ish way if it affects teammates.

My post was not intended to be anything but affectionate!
    -Stay Fr0sty
    • Up x 1
  9. doomedking517

1: I would like to apologize then, as I didn't pick up how you was coming across properly as a I lack social experience (if that makes sense, like I find it hard understanding what people are trying to convey). Oh and don't worry about your outfit's reputation, tbh whilst I'm part of one, I haven't a clue what they are used for and assuming one person speaks for the rest would be naive on my part.

2: I understand the point about long range use, and how it's aimed more at short range use, but most grenades aren't all that useful for long range infils (I mean have you tried throwing a frag 200M's? it just don't happen :p) (and that was the slot I was thinking of putting it in) yet I know a lot of infils(with snipers) who get to capture points (so it can be used to slow an enemy advance), and even when sniping, I every now and then get assaulted by that heavy round the corner that I missed running from point to point (it happens a lot for me as I'm not too good at first person shooters but I'm okay at sniping on good days xD), as a result, dropping one of these at their feet and then running for it (as turning rate isn't affected nor is the ability to shoot) it would provide just enough time to run, then cloak to get away. Sure a emp MIGHT get you that kill, but it could also get you killed, and its usually best to live another 30 mins and rack up kills than attempt to get just 1 (who being 200m from the combat situation wont be all that beneficial to the actual battle that's occurring)

3: you're right, it does have a huge amount of potential for griefing, and every tool has a downside, but most infils will use it as is intended, a tool to get away or lock down capture points from enemies (it may slow reinforcements, but that's to provide balance - can't disable friendly fire on it, though maybe a lesser affect or anti-grief system where it detects no enemies nearby (say 50 meters) and just doesn't work at all).

4: I like the thought that it could help the close rangers by leaps and bounds especially in areas that i havent thought of, and I like getting up close and personal (though i have no close range tools besides the short range sniper) as a result, it would be interesting to see how it got used.

Yours faithfully Doomking517

p.s. If I came across as impolite sorry, I have a habit of writing things badly so that they come across that way and have no intention to do so, your criticisms are welcome, in fact they are good as they allow me to think and progress the idea to a point where its feasible to implement it in a balanced way if they actually like the idea. This is furthered by the fact that you almost certainly have more experiance at this game than myself and as a result your input is sorely needed.
  10. Problem Officer

Sticky foam (irl riot control stuff) in mines and grenades.
    Needs grief points for FF.
  11. MisterSlim

I think the questions to ask yourself, if you'd like to flesh out the idea, are the questions of:

-"When would I use this instead of an EMP? It can already drain shields, eliminate HUDs, disable turrets, destroy deployables (using them to clear mines is always great), illuminate hostile Stalkers in the area, and help me escape. If I use a radar, I can know exactly how to escape in tandem with this EMP, and it has other all these other uses that make me a super versatile killer. What incentive do I have from using it that I don't have with the EMP?"

-"Would this open up opportunities to use other tools? The EMP works amazingly with mines (along with enemy mines), and can be used to jump a crowd of unsuspecting enemies that I was able to sneak up on using my radar. Would it lend itself well to being used in a versatile and compatible way, or would it be super niche, and easily overshadowed by all but the near-skill-ceiling players?"

-"Would this be a balanced thing, and if not, how would I make it balanced? Lots of cloakers run 'Nade Bandolier, especially in their close range builds. If everyone was carrying 4 of these, how would that play out?"

No right or wrong answers to any of those questions, just a few things to help your idea grow. Try to think of every aspect of how it would or could be used, its drawbacks and benefits, and the role it would fill.

Keep up the creativity!
    -Stay Fr0sty
    • Up x 1
  12. doomedking517

First things first, I would like to apologise for the slow reply, life has been a bit hectic recently. Anywho, I like the questions you pose, and I think I should atleast attempt to put forward some answers (even if they were rhetorical) so that both yourself and I (as the idea is a growing one and its features will grow/change).

"When would I use this instead of an EMP? It can already drain shields, eliminate HUDs, disable turrets, destroy deployables (using them to clear mines is always great), illuminate hostile Stalkers in the area, and help me escape. If I use a radar, I can know exactly how to escape in tandem with this EMP, and it has other all these other uses that make me a super versatile killer. What incentive do I have from using it that I don't have with the EMP?"

While the EMP has a lot of uses, it has few areas where it has a sustainable effect, one EMP will have an effect that lasts say 10 seconds (I don't know exactly, never really bothered to check) on anyone it hits within its blast radius, this however will have a lingering effect for 30 seconds and it effects individuals who enter that area, or are in the blast radius when it goes off, this therefore adds crowd control possibilities, such as changing the flow of combat from one area to another (such as having an attacking forces heavies change locations out of the best spot etc. because snipers would have a field day where they are because they cant move in and out of cover fast enough). It has huge defensive capabilities, such as slowing advances from enemies because they cant move fast enough (can you imagine a max going throw a puddle of this stuff, it'd be there all week, enough time to shoot it down) - I'm possibly considering allowing it to slow turn rate as well whats your opinion? (could make it a little op but since infills cloaks react to turning shouldn't this? just to a lesser degree) - and finally a good area it would be off use would be in things such as putting them in heavy battle zones with medics, they would move slower allowing for easy shooting, any one who got up cant get to cover etc. etc. and these are just a few possibilities which is good for snipers who need to take out their support troops.

"Would this open up opportunities to use other tools? The EMP works amazingly with mines (along with enemy mines), and can be used to jump a crowd of unsuspecting enemies that I was able to sneak up on using my radar. Would it lend itself well to being used in a versatile and compatible way, or would it be super niche, and easily overshadowed by all but the near-skill-ceiling players?

Well I can see it working well in conjunction with many tools and equipment, I think every infil with prox mines has experienced someone getting past their prox mine because the server didn't set it off on time, problem gone (in high use areas). Run with a motion spotter near a cap point, with only a couple of entrances, as soon as you see someone near a entrance throw it, notiify your team (region, squad, platoon, whatever) and get the defenses in there, the enemy moving slowly has trouble attacking, or the reverse applies, infil gets near their exits, check to see if the location is populated, if it is and battles about to occur, throw the nade to prevent their escape, and allowing you to take out the stragglers (and support troop reinforcements). drop it behind you when running, get to cover apply the med kit, cloak, and get to safety. a stalker sneaking in, and putting it in a heavily used corridor in a battle slowing enemy reinforcements allowing the remaining ones to get crushed. hopefully people will notice this tool isn't aimed at killing, more altering the flow of combat, its for sabotaging the reinforcements of the enemy, for slowing their attack or defense, for messing with them.

"Would this be a balanced thing, and if not, how would I make it balanced? Lots of cloakers run 'Nade Bandolier, especially in their close range builds. If everyone was carrying 4 of these, how would that play out?"

this is where i see people having issues with this particular tool, as it can be extremely good in a half decent and tactical persons hand, and could be extremely powerful, or it can be almost useless if applied like a normal nade or emp (or more its potential would be wasted), i feel that given the cons i applied to it, it is fairly balanced, im not sure how it could be more so (though im probably bias on this), the bandoleer would make for some interesting situations, every entrance having a slow means no exit, regardless of how many you have, if every entrance is on lock down, you re kinda stuck in there, and many rooms wouldn't be forgiving of that fact (a few grenades might not be too nice here), not to mention itd be real hard for friendlies to reach you because of it.

These are just a few thoughts that I came up with when reading your response and writing my own, but you get the idea. oh and problem officer I agree however, it should be set to say FF grief points for the first 5 seconds of the slow nades life (as if its been out for 20 seconds and a friendly runs into it, well tbh that isn't your fault in my opinion.)

With kind regards Doomking517

P.s. I apologise if there are any grammatical mistakes, English isn't my strongest area, and for this particular post (the first reason applies to all) im extremely tired.