[BUG] SLI Artifact-ing(HELP)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Downy, May 30, 2015.

1. Downy

Here is the link to the bug tracker post:
    https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/PS-1445

If anyone know a fix for this issue then please be kind enough and share it with me also make sure you look at the video because its something I haven't witnessed with anyone else so....

I know I shouldn't really be posting in this section however I want to try and highlight the issue although I probably realise that they already know about this however I think more information and setups configuration might be able to pin point this issue, and help.

Here is a video highlighting the issue:

PC Configuration:
    OS - Windows 10(Please dont say "its windows 10's fault", It isn't because my friend is having the same issue on Win7)
    Motherboard - MSI Gaming 7
    CPU - i7 4790k @4.4(Water cooled)
    RAM - 24GB(I have tested my RAM for issues and nothing)
    GPU 1 - Strix 970 OC (Card temp = 30 Celsius without fan spinning)
    GPU 2 - Strix 970 OC (Card temp = 35 Celsius without fan spinning)(due to the other card being over the top its getting slightly hotter
    SSD 120GB with OS
    SSD 250GB for Games(With PS2 on)
    2x TB HDD
    1x 3TB HDD

NOTE: The cards are not the issue, they are perfectly fine. Both car work perfectly with other games that support SLI however Planetside 2 doesn't work correctly.

I have tried:
    Reconnecting to SLI bridge
    Making sure the bridge is connected properly
    Changing the SLI profile(Nvidia Inspector)
    Changing the Pre-Rendered Frames
    Turning SLI off(its works but I want SLI to work and If theirs a solution then I want to know)

Thanks
  2. orangejedi829

I have gotten this type of artifacting in certain games in the past, such as Skyrim. A system reboot always fixed the problem for me, but I found it interesting that the artifacting always looked the same in different games. This leads me to believe it's an nVidia driver issue.
    However, I haven't seen this effect once since I took my cards off air cooling, so it could also have been a heat issue. I know you said your temps were around 35C, but unless those cards are watercooled, that simply does not sound like an accurate temperature reading. What software are you using to get these temperatures?
  3. Downy

I've been using speccy, GPU-z, Corsair Link, PrecisionX they all vary because of the software update cycle however they always share the same average temp. The Strix 970's have a feature, when your cards are below a certain temp the fans dont spin(0db). I believe the temp is 55c but I'm not sure.

EDIT: the temps vary, of course but I'm giving a rough average.

Here you go:
    [IMG]
  4. Hatesphere

As was said. 31c sounds a bit low for air cooled ski. Thoughts errors also look like memory overheat. Do you have a infrared thermometer? They are far more reliable
  5. orangejedi829

Ah, I see. Notice the clock speed in EVGA Precision. 135mhz; the card is at idle. Once you start playing a game, that temperature will go way up. Likely to 70C+. You'll need to use an in-game monitor like EVGA Precision's OSD to find out what the temps are under load.
  6. Downy

Ohhh sorry.... I forgot to mention that the card sits at idle at those temps. The card, when running valley benchmark(@1080 Extreme HD preset) reaches a maximum temp of 70c. I tested Planetside 2 while in-game(still with artifacting)

Here are the results for Planetside 2:
    [IMG]
  7. Downy

I forgot to mention that temps are from idle, I posted a new screenshot below to show the actually results. I am sorry that was entirely my fault for not stating. Also I dont have a infrared thermometer.
  8. Downy

After trying some recommended solutions I came across something, I tried to play both the test server and the normal client and noticed something interesting. Firstly, I get the artifact-ing on both the test and the normal client however I have both of them on two different HDD. I have the main game on my SSD and the test client on my normal HDD and what I found...On the test server the UI loads incredible slow however the artifact-ing weren't happening at all until the UI loaded in.

On the SSD I have the issue right away because the SSD loads everything alot faster and almost instantly.

Here are two videos demonstrating the issue:

SSD Loading Time:

HDD Loading Time:

9. Kirppu1

Do NOT use sli on this game, the game is a trainwreck when it comes to tech
  10. Downy

Yhh... I kinda realize that. I just wanted to use my second card instead of it being idle. I wanted to see if anyone could solve the issue and from the results of this post, I'm guessing there's no fix until Daybreak fix it.

Thanks for commenting though!
  11. BarkaThaGreat

apparently, DB aren't going to do squat to support SLI for this game. i too have 2 strix 970s. disable SLI and turn on smoothing in the game. it'll run buttery smooth at 60FPS.
  12. Kirppu1

If it's any consolation the game used to support SLI well
  13. AllStoNe

I have 755m SLI. Nvidia 353.62 works on Windows 10 OK. But newest 355.60 does not work - artifacting as in youtube video shown. Went to device manager, clicked update driver, selected from the list older one and it was fixed. Of course with 755m i have wayy more artifacting than with 970 GTX :) almost unplayable on my PC with artifacting.