Single Barreled Prowler

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Stargazer86, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Stargazer86

Please? I'd gladly trade the bit of extra damage we do for a single barreled turret. Preferably one that's centered rather than hanging lopsidedly off the left side of the tank.

In fact, why do MBT's only get the AP, HEAT, and HE options instead of turrets that are distinctly different? The Lighting gets the Viper and Skyguard. The Liberators get various nose and belly guns. How about a little more variety for the MBT's?
    • Up x 5
  2. Serialkillerwhale

I'd pay good money for a MBT-sized skyguard with coaxial walker, that's for sure.
    • Up x 8
  3. MotionBlured

They'll come, eventually. Vehicle weapons probably take more time and money to implement than weapons do, and they did just get done tweaking a whole bunch for directives, plus the valk coming out soon.
  4. ComradeHavoc

Some people just don't appreciate using anchored mode on a giant mountain farming infantry, armor, and air 300 meters away.
    • Up x 2
  5. Pikachu

Just wait for the MBT update, but they will probably scrap the old ES gun ideas and add a NS primary and a NS secondary instead.
  6. Yeahy

So what exactly are you trading your dps for?
    If you just want one extra shot that is on par or sub par with the magrider...... then go for it.
  7. DramaticExit

Have you actually looked at the DPS each tank throws out? I get the impression you don't quite know how much extra damage the prowler has over the vanguard and magrider. It's an extremely significant difference.
  8. Oguska

Oh that goes for sitting duck mode i guess or with 10 meter second gun.
  9. Yeahy

"Sitting duck mode" increases dps of prowler a crap ton. Smart people only use it when they have armor superiority. Even if you don't deploy, you still out dps the other tanks.
    Magrider has slower bullet velocity than prowler I think.
  10. Celenor

Eventually like in PS3?
  11. Oguska

Miss a couple of 1 shot in a row of 2 and there is my dps monster goes, because prowler is brick on that worst of the tanks suspension.

A close combat Anchor mode is a come and kill me invitation for professional enemy tankers.A Swagrider can easily get behing it and boom.

Anyway prowler desing sucks soap in every aspect of a tank or self-propelled artillery, a abomination.
  12. Yeahy

You're not supposed to use it up close just like the fact that you're not supposed to deploy vanguard shield if a deployed prowler is hitting you from 300 meters away.
  13. Celenor

Yet if you use it far away, magrider strafing makes it generally hard to hit even with the enhanced velocity. If VS uses the magrider's agility instead of trying to brute force it, they win.
  14. Revanmug

And somehow, the Vanguard and Magrider can't miss? If you can't aim a prowler, you won't be able to aim with any vehicle.
    • Up x 5
  15. Saber15

The recoil from the first shot throws off the second shot.
    At close range it's negligible but from medium-long range a first shot hit can make the second miss due to recoil.
  16. Frosty The Pyro

as someone who loves my prowler, very rarely. and frankly even if you take a full second between shots, the prowler STILL out dps everyone by a large margin. Which again is why I love my prowler.
    • Up x 1
  17. ColonelChingles

Not only that, but if the Vanguard or Magrider miss they're penalized more because that was their only shot.

If you miss with the first shot on the Prowler, you can use that as your ranging shot and your second shot should be on target.
    • Up x 1
  18. EnsignPistol

On a less related note, can I just go on the record saying that dual main guns on a tank are dumb in an in-context sense? Video game logic/nanites aside, it only "looks cool" if you're willing to ignore that, for the size and weight of two cannons, barrel, breech, recoil assembly and all, you could have had one much, much larger gun, and generally that's the way to go because the mechanics of armor penetration (I know, injecting real world logic into video games again, sorry) are such that, if you weren't dealing adequate damage to your target with one cannon, having another one of the same size isn't going to help you much. Sure, gun turrets on battleships have multiple cannons (not that any navy in the world uses battleships anymore, but then we're apparently back to using flak towers and one man tankettes in the 29th century), but that's because they pretty much reached the point where they couldn't make the gun any bigger, hence it made sense to have multiples.

Also, the way the guns are mounted on the Prowler it'd cause the turret to spin like a top every time you fired them. I don't want to know how much time and effort they'd have to waste coming up with a recoil compensation system for that. So much for the time-tested, conventional way of doing things, huh?
    • Up x 1
  19. DramaticExit

No. Just straight up DPS from stock weapons, without anchor mode.

Stock prowler HEAT = 880 DPS
    Stock vanguard HEAT = 437 DPS.

The prowler deals damage more than twice as fast as a vanguard... That's without anchor mode. That is more than "a bit" of extra damage.
    • Up x 3
  20. Demigan

MBT grenade launchers firing multiple grenades against infantry and/or tanks. Either explode on contact, explode on a timer so you can bounce them around, or explode on a timer with sticky grenade. Good CQC alternative.

anti-infantry gun. Rather than HE weapons just put a large machine gun on it to maul infantry to death with. Can be offset with long reload times and slow muzzle velocity.

Triggered explosives launcher. Rather than firing shells that instantly detonate you launch a sticky explosive that can be triggered to explode afterwards. They are lobbed like grenades and can be disarmed by enemy engineer. Alternatively they will deal only 20% of their damage if they are set off by bullets, allowing engineers to detonate them by shooting to prevent most of the damage.