Since Release, Latency and Hit Detection Problems

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kuriby, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Kuriby

I am not an expert on game design or networking, so I am asking the community to help answer this question:

Why does Planetside 2 still have one of he WORST hit detection and latency issues in a online FPS game?
    (It has gotten better since release, but 100-200ms is still unacceptable for a online fps game).

My first thought is that this isn't the developers fault, it is simply that the battles are too large scale.

My second though is that the SOE is too poor to properly buy big enough hardware to handle all the data they are receiving and sending out.

Now I am not a expert in anything related to game design or latency or networking soo....

Can anyone explain why it is so difficult for the devs to make severs with acceptable levels for hit detection? Are they incompetent? too ambitious? or limitation in our current tech?
  2. xMaxdamage

hit detection has been bad for like the past 8 months, general framerate (at least for me) has decreased by like 30% in the past 3 months, and latency/packet loss makes the game unplayable since december on EU servers.

the game is curently in its worst state ever.
    • Up x 2
  3. Pootisman

This. Im not super motivated to play PS2, because of the lack of new content, but it is still fun to play. Well, it WAS fun to play. Since the Christmas patch, the game is going downhill fast:
    • peformance problems (sudden FPS drops)
    • extreme lag (sometimes ping is over 9000ms, no joke)
    • game breaking bugs like invisible players
    • many annoying bugs like vehicle ejection seat bug (this bug is in the game since 5th of August!)
    I was a dedicated PS2 player during the last 2 years, but the crap that happened since the Christmas patch is just too much. There are other fun games to play.
    • Up x 1
  4. xMaxdamage

I'm searching for a good skill based MMO with fast ttk and big, open and not instanced battles, can't find any1.
    before ps2 came out I used to try every single new MMO, now I feel like an old man who doesn have a clue about what a mmo is, I need something to replace this game until they fix all this crap.
  5. MotionBlured

The hit detection feels great compared to COD. Technology and communication infrastructure will always be lagging behind the computer/server capabilities.
  6. Pootisman

As far as i know, there are no other games like PS2. You have to stay if you love open world MMOFPS games. Thats a problem for us players and a HUGE advantage for SOE. They can make new content at snail's pace and provide poor service and players will still stay.
    • Up x 1
  7. Eternaloptimist

I've had really good ping since the last release (up until last night) but there were others in chat complaining about massive problems. So I don't really know where the effect was happening - that I was getting 75 to 120 while others were complaining about 1000 or more. However, starting yesterday the disconnects and server lags started again for me. Then "server not available". Gave up and watched NCIS repeats for the rest of the evening.....yeah, that's my life.
  8. Serviceman

I have ping 80-120 ms on Miller and 90-140 on Cobalt (i play from Russia), but since last patch i have huge lags with ping over 9000. Somethimes server did not responding 2-3 min, after ping became normal i have fast travel and game speed 3x for few sec and i die all the time at the end. :mad: