Sights Multiply?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MouthFulofCrabs, Apr 12, 2015.

1. MouthFulofCrabs

ugh i cant find a picture to show what i am going to describe >_< anyway
    Being able to equip more then 1 sight (Max 3) and all youd have to do is switch scopes in battle to suit that type of battle going on...
    To sum it up
    scope 1
    scope 2
    scope 3
    i want scope 3 places on and minutes later i want scope 2 i can place this on aswell just removing scope 3 as my primary scope...
    dont know what youd call this... or if this made any sense...
  2. FateJH

You want the option to switch scopes while still out in the field and not near a Terminal; is that it?
    • Up x 1
  3. QQlazors

It's called a hybrid or variable zoom sight.

For example, in CoD Ghosts, there was a sight that could flip over or back to change magnification in combat.
  4. MisterSlim

In real world shooting, most scopes are variable powered. For example, the Lucid scope that I use for my long range competitions has a zoom that can vary between 6x and 24x. I'd love to see variable power optics introduced into some weapons, as I think it would add just a bit of immersion.

However, most red-dot and holographic sights are fixed-zoom, so for most part, I don't mind how they are now.

I must say, that from a realism standpoint, swapping your optics isn't normally a simple 2 second process. Every time optics are removed and put back on, they must be re-zero'd. This means that they must be re-aligned to actually hit what you are aiming at. This process can take up a good bit of time. The only time optics are removed on-the-fly is if your optic is broken, and you are swapping to your back-up iron sights that you have already attached, but folded down.

Just my two cents
    -Stay Fr0sty
    • Up x 4
  5. MouthFulofCrabs

yup
  6. Uncle_Lou

It's actually not TOO far-fetched. It's not uncommon today for operators to have a zero magnification aimpoint optic mounted and also a 2x magnifier that can be rotated down and to one side when not in use. Rather than have this be an always option I think I'd be ok with a cert or SP requirement. It would also need to have downsides though... extra weight adding swap time or increasing CoF by 5% or something.
  7. Czarinov

8. HUNTERANGEL121

OP, are you referring to a magnifier type system like BF4?
    Wouldn't mind that.
  9. Fry_Poncho

You mean certs? :p
    And while were talking about scope changes, why not the ability to adjust sights on the y axis, to compensate for drop.

Just another one of my ramblings.;)
  10. MisterSlim

Fun fact: Y axis adjustments are usually called "elevation adjustments" IRL (no real point in this statement, just a fun fact). I would love to see the ability to adjust the zoom of our optics, and maybe one day even the windage (X axis adjustments) and elevation.

On a note that is not even in the furthest reaches of the future, and a note that isn't really related specifically to scope zoom, I'd love to see a spotting system in PS2. When it comes to long range shooting, combat or otherwise, spotting plays a HUGE role. My spotter and I are dear friends, and spend hours upon hours laying on the ground, staring at something 1km away, one of us through a rifle scope, the other through a spotting scope. We communicate constantly, as he relays variables such as wind speed and direction, barometric pressure, temperature, etc, I adjust accordingly, until I feel confident that I will hit my target. Whether that shot hits its intended mark or not, the communication doesn't stop. If it is a hit, then he immediately responds with "HIT", and if it is a miss, then he has watched the vapor trail of my round, and will tell me exactly where that shot went.

In short, I don't want sniping to be easier than what it is now. Lately, I can pick up the BASRs and walk away with >1 KPM (ego aside), so it certainly doesn't need to be easier. However, I would love to see some more immersion.

I'd love to see this:
    [IMG]
    Feel a tad more like this:
    [IMG]

(Yes, that is me, and that photo was taken late last November. I have since gotten a haircut, a less terrible hat, and a vastly improved rifle/optics system)
  11. MouthFulofCrabs

ugh to describe it better, pick a sniper scope but having 1x 2x 3x 4x 12x 26x and 1000m x zoom's ofcoarse not like this :p but only 3 zooms...
  12. Fry_Poncho

13. Morti

Would be cool to see a variable zoom scope added for snipers and hybrid scopes for LMGs, AR's and possibly carbines.

However it's very low on my wish list at the moment.

not to mention we still don't have red dot scopes for sidearms :(
    • Up x 1
  14. Flamberge

The problem with adjusting windage to compensate for moving targets would be that the scope would only accurate if the target was moving in one direction. If you adjusted windage to hit targets moving left to right, then it would be very difficult to hit targets moving right to left.

Cool. Nice to see another marksman on these forums.
    Just curious, is that a Remington 700? Probably is something different, not as caught up on firearms models as I once was.

Also, just a little curious, I assume the spotter has ear pro, or is your rifle suppressed?
  15. DashRendar

And even then, a sight is zero'd to a particular range that you expect to do the majority of your shooting at. So if you are zero'd at 100m, and a target pops up at 50m, you will have to aim below where you want to hit.
    • Up x 1
  16. MisterSlim

+1 for that comment, good sir. Also, I might add that if you are 50m away from your target, then I highly doubt that you have the time needed to make your elevation adjustments. xD Approximating your elevation measurement is a must at close ranges, and when you learn to do it accurately, it usually gives a "Close Enough" result. xD
    • Up x 1