Should the magrider get a buff?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ballto21, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Meeka

You only need that extra boost to catch them for that last shot... when they escape on me, it's always when I'm about to land the last shot. So, that Magboost... <3

It depends on how good you are in a tank; there's a long line of debris for Liberators that have tried to tank out my tanks; only the best Lib pilot/gunner combinations can really hit my tank... and even they are playing with fire. I hear them coming long before I see them, even if they're stealthed. And I wouldn't call myself the best tank driver out there, either... there's plenty of us that can chew up a Liberator... and Magboost really can save your ***, so can the hovering, where other tanks are stuck in two axis of movement.

Here's the thing, DPS accounts for shot by shot damage ONLY... those kind of stats cannot be compared directly to one another in tank vs tank vs tank because every tank has its own unique advantages and disadvantages. DPS is great if you're assuming every shot lands and neither tank is taking advantage of terrain and its own mobility or lack there of... those are things that cannot be compared statwise.

If you know how to use a tank's advantages and use the enemy's tank disadvantages against it... it doesn't matter if it's 2/2 and you're 1/2 and its DPS seriously out performs yours... you can still win the fight. Take for example... Liberators really out DPS my Lightning... but in most cases... when a Liberator tries to tank bust my Lightning... the Liberator is wreckage yet my tank has survived, in many cases, almost unscathed. DPS has to be balanced against things which are nearly intangible... not directly one vs one... especially not in tanks. I've used that Magboost and hovering maneuverability to escape tank busters and blow Liberators out of the sky... any Magrider not rolling with it would be toast! It's a must have, like the Vanguard shield... other options aren't viable compared to it.
  2. Ballto21

Concede.
    This goes into theoretical situations
    You make a valid point, and i do agree with much of what you say, but at the range youd have magboosted behind the guy, and the range youd be at after, its hard to believe that more shots would miss than hit, especially against a (more or less) slow fat target, and itd be better to just snipe that prowler at 60m out
  3. Divinorium

And in the Liberator X Magrider topic. You need to remember the Magburn allow you to actually run for cover. While all the others tanks have less speed to do so.

When a Liberator is sitting just over you with dalton the only thing you can do is run for cover. And here's one of moment the magburn can shine.
  4. iccle

I totally did! Sorry! <3
  5. Nemetis

If you're with a Magrider on Esamir, you just doomed.. there is almost no covers in that "nanites" :D
  6. Divinorium

Yes and no. Using the mountain range you can save yourself. And when the magrider can't save itself, the others 2 would have even less chance. The prowler have no defensive ability and the extra 2 shoots the vanguard can take isn't enough to save him in said case.
    It's a situational power, imo how all the abilities should be.

Sadly we have the Vanguard where the shield isnt situational, is a crutch and even said crutch isn't enough to bring the Vanguard in line with the others MBT. But that's talk to another topic.
  7. AlterEgo

Kill 'em!
  8. AlterEgo

It is that massive size that gets the Magrider stuck on the many ravines in Indar. I once got stuck ON THE GROUND going at 30 something miles per hour, and guess who showed up? A duo of Lightings. I kept yelling that I was stuck and couldn't move, so they just stayed there and let me go. Kind of appreciated it, but what would have happened if they were not-so-fun tryhards?
  9. The_Blazing

I keep saying this and I'll keep saying it.

People complain about the Magrider because they expect it to be a Main Battle Tank like the other 2 MBTs but it's not. It is not a frontal, direct combat beast, it is not capable of offering cover to friendly infantry (if anything, it murders them horribly), its special ability does not aid it in direct combat.

It's a flanking beast, a powerful harasser and it is very good at taking unconventional attack paths. This makes it effective and gives it its good KDR compared to other tanks. However, being good at this stuff and not at the stuff mentioned in the previous paragraph obviously makes it much less of a Main Battle Tank and much more of a Medium Tactical Tank / High Mobility Hunter.

Either make the Magrider a real MBT, or completely change the way it's presented in-game so that people understand that what they're driving into the battle is not a Main Battle Tank.
    • Up x 1
  10. Bindlestiff

So I'll counter both arguments here.

Air is worse for the Magrider because the other two have better elevation on their main gun. That means air can be ever so slightly more sloppy in their positioning vs a Magrider and get away with it more often. Sure - the Magrider can get away better than the other two if Magburner is equipped... for the first salvo, and then it is more or less an even playing field.

Secondly, the Magrider is the only tank in the game that has a fixed, forward facing turret. All other tanks are able to survey their surroundings without exposing critical areas of the tank to the enemy by being forced to turn the entire tank around, but the Magrider cannot. Therefore to survive, you either take the risk that someone or something at the base will have spotted you have your side / back to them and get in shots, or you equip proximity radar. Of course, if you equip that you can't have Magburn.

I've spent enough time in a Magrider to know I'm doing things fairly right.
  11. Divinorium

First: Well if you think shooting at aircraft is "normal" then didn't spend time in the others tank at all. Yeah yeah we do shoot aircraft, but it's not in middle of combat, in fact 90% is when the aircraft didn't threat us at all. Since said aircraft will no approach you in your turret angle. We shot aircraft that are attacking others targets, hardly it's a shot in self defense.

Second: Again we shot target because we have nothing better to do. If we are engaged with another target we will hardly see a aircraft coming. And even if we do we normally don't shot/react at it unless it's a clear threat. EG: A Lib flying low in your direction. Remember if you saw the lib coming while being engaged it means it came from your front, so a Mag would also see. If you are giving your side to someone while looking around that means you are engaged with someone.

By the way Proximity Radar have 50 meters of radius if a liberator got at in this range from behind you will not have time to react. If he is over you it will likely not show in the map. And also it is equiped in the Defensive slot. So you can equip the Magburn, utility slot.

You may have a good amount of time with the Magrider but you lack ALOT of knowledge about it and even more about others MBT.

PS: Is funny how ppl wanting buffs for the magrider don't even know what goes where in the tank....
  12. Bindlestiff

Where to start. Really don't know whether this is a troll, or you are just completely clueless.

Shooting at everything is normal. It is a war game, no? How you've associated this nonsense with me not spending time in other tanks I really don't know.

You are playing a different game than I've been playing for over 2 years then mate. I see all tanks from all factions shooting all air all the time for all reasons.

Possibly one of the most nonsensical statements I've read, and assumes that everyone has your level of situational awareness, which it would seem is tunnel visioned on your current target and only that target. I am confident that when engaging I can still focus on multiple ground targets - both armour and infantry - and air; I might not be able to do anything about them but that assessment will mean I can switch target to the one who is most threatening and try to minimise their impact, whilst also trying as best as I can to avoid putting myself in a compromised position with the other threats as a result. There are plenty of superior tankers out there who can do all of this on a bigger scale, faster, and with a higher percentage of success than I could, so it isn't an isolated case.

Say what? We've already established the other tanks don't have the Magrider restriction, so where do you get that it has to come from the front for these? I might have spotted the threat as I'm turning around to face a different target which technically makes it in front of me for that split second, but just because a target isn't directly in my line of sight, or isn't targeting me immediately, doesn't mean I instantly forget about it.

Fair enough, I can't argue with this. For whatever reason I had decided that they go in the same slot - I clearly had my head in the shed for that one.

I'll let you believe what you want to believe on this one. Feel free to enlighten me on this huge gap in my Magrider knowledge though - with the exception of my mix up with slots of course.

Not sure I've said I want a buff?
    • Up x 1
  13. Asageh

NU FLYING SPOODER TANKS OP NERF PLOX BUFF ______

Adding another nail to the coffin.
  14. Divinorium

A esf/liberator pilot worth a damn don't give the chance to the tank fire back at it. Picking a Prowler for a skilled pilot is easier then killing a vanguard that is easier than killing a Magrider.

Out of the 3 the magrider is the only one who can dodge/run incoming esf fire because of it's superior ability. Vanguard can take more damage?

Try to LEARN what your tank can do, from radar to the side/front armor to fire supression. Then go and learn the others 2 MBT. THEN you will see the amount of bullship you just said.
  15. ColonelChingles

Actually Main Battle Tanks are Medium Tanks!

In WWII you had your Light Tanks (American Stuarts) and Heavy Tanks (German Tigers, Russian Stalins). Light tanks had speed, while heavy tanks had extremely big guns and very heavy armor.

Medium tanks though were the most common, like the American Sherman or German Panzer IV. These had decent cannons and decent armor.

But over time, being mobile was more important than being heavy or hard-hitting, and due to technological advances you could mount a pretty good gun and have very good armor while moving at good speed. This was the Main Battle Tank, which was the descendant of the Medium Tanks. Just with better armor and weapons.

In PS2 most MBTs are like Medium Tanks, because they don't have the armor or weaponry of a Heavy Tank (or even MBT). If they were true Heavy Tanks/MBTs, they would be impervious to most infantry weapons and only damageable by extremely heavy weaponry.
    • Up x 1
  16. Rentago

I think the magrider's default cannon should not even be a cannon, i want it to fire like a heavy PPC, the other two as HE and AP can remain cannons. I just want to see a little bit of flavor given to faction uniqueness.

I wanted the reload mechanic they are implementing to the TR's faction specific AI grenade launcher thing put into their cannons, where they reload one cannon while they fire the other to allow continuous firing.

NC should have the dalton mounted on their tank.

and VS should have no drop on the AP, rapid fire on the default, and the HE is fine as it is.
  17. Bindlestiff

Sorry sir, I'm just going to agree to disagree with pretty much everything you've said. You clearly have a playstyle you enjoy, and I have a wildly different one. I am also perfectly happy with the knowledge of my main faction MBT - as is every single gunner who gets in, either outfit or public. If that means in your eyes I'm wrong, or ignorant, I can live with that.
  18. Fleech

no
    • Up x 1
  19. OldMaster80

This is probably the best reply in this thread. Vote: 10/10.

What satistics do not say is Magriders have a superior skill at flanking: the ability to reach unexpected positions mixed with lack of bullet drop in primaries makes them extremely dangerous. Of course if the pilot knows what he's doing.
    VS keep complaining then it comes out the fight against a Vanguard in 1 vs 1 in the open field. It's like a sniper pretending to kill a HA in a face to face fight.

Look at this pic I took this evening. Do you see from which distance the Mag is shelling our sunderer? It's barely visible and guess what? It hit us all the freaking time, it destroyed our sunderer in a matter of seconds. [IMG]

And the strafe is extremely underrated. Try to hit a Magrider using a Striker: it's almost impossible, you never land a rocket.
  20. ATRA_Wampa-One

Sorry... what?

The Magrider has the most drop of any ES primary weapon, equal to the drop of the lightnings gun.