[Suggestion] Should Scout Rifles for Engineer?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by IberianHusky, Nov 15, 2014.

1. IberianHusky

Let's face it, Battle Rifles are crap, but Scout Rifles fit the role perfectly. This would give Engineers a lot more mid-long ranged firing support options than a Carbine or BR. Because I love the Vandal, but hate the Infiltrator.

SOE pls make Scout Rifles available to Engineer.
    • Up x 2
  2. Joexer

You Beat me to it Husky, But I would like to expand.

The Engineer has access to an effectively pre-nerfed selections of LA's advantages. Without that distinct advantage. Engineer has acces to shotguns like in most games but (except infil) has those too. Scout rifles could diversify the engineers role other than a backwater class. Medics to ARs, HA to LMG, SRs to Infil, carbine to LA.

Engineer gets .... nothing reasonable. unless you like the ONE "battle/scout" rifle granted. Scout rifles could expand the class. Meant for versatility of the medic but without raw ttk. Battle rifle and scout rifles roles overlap a lot. So why not?
    Also the directive is already in place so it would not be hard to implement.

Please Post below about your thoughts and sorry to semi-hijack But thanks for starting the disccusion Husky.
  3. STR1D3R109

Id say to just make the battle rifle stronger, it just takes another reason to play infiltrator away by doing that :3
    • Up x 6
  4. MarkAntony

No. Make the battle rifle useful. (I think it already is but whatever)
    • Up x 4
  5. Elrobochanco

I'd be on board for not making battle rifles crap (since they apparently can't figure this out just clone the vandal). The scout rifles, sure I guess I'd take them.

What I'd really like though is something that actually diversified carbines for LA and Engies. Maybe some new class specific attachments. LA could get something that traded the laser sight for a motion compensator so that there was no COF penalty for jumping/flying (beyond regular hipfire I mean). Engies could get something that actually lowered time to equip and reload time.

There now LA can use stockish guns while doing whatever, engineers can more aggressively swap from support to fighting. Or I guess maybe they should both just get those innately.
    • Up x 1
  6. Hoki

sure why not
  7. JudgeNu

I would love to use my battle rifle its just difficult to use imo.
    It looks so cool to me when I see an Engie with it but dam.
    Competition is tough.
    Everybody and their sister are rollin HA cuz the shield gives them an advantage the other classes do not get.
    It would be nice to see a power increase to reward a hit or something to make it a uniquely viable option for Engie.

My biased 2cents.
    • Up x 2
  8. OldMaster80

Personally I think Battle Rifles are quite ok. They are difficult to use because recoil is insane and this has always be a PS2 problem: for unknown reasons full auto weapons are incredibly easy to handle, while semi-automatic rifles have a huge recoil. It should be the opposite.
    The trick about Battle Rifles is to minimize the recoil: Compensator, Foregrip and NO High Velocity Ammo allow to tap faster on mouse button making them more deadly. My only concern about this is attachments suggest you could use Battle Rifles in close quarter (laser sight, 2x scope). But this loadout is not viable at all, you get basically outgunned by any other weapon in the game.
    Even with the Laser Sight firing from the hip is too hard, you miss many shots even within 10 mts.

As far as I see it what this weapons could use is a recoil reduction, or the Advanced Laser Sight as attachment.

Back to the OP: I would NEVER use Scout Rifles on my Engineer. I mean... I have a Jaguar and a Cougar why should I need a SOAS-20? I can barely kill anyone with 1 clip when I play Infiltrator and I catch the target by surprise. Concerning HSR-1 & Co: you can do the same with Battle Rifles, it's just slightly harder because of the recoil.
  9. \m/SLAYER\m/

is there difference?
  10. p10k56

Halp!!! as there is not enough of them already.
    Really its a support class so why some people want it to buff again?
    Rather give them some sort of cert which will allow them distribute ammo by their presence without dropping ammo boxes.
    Dropping ammo boxes is area where they fall most miserably and finding engineer is easier than finding ammo box.

Give assault/scout/battle rifles to LA
    ..LA OP please nerf.
    Give it to engie..
    ..everything is fine:rolleyes:
  11. Stigma

I don't see a problem in giving them access to those sorts of weapons - but that is mostly just because I think the carbines they already have access to are objectively better in most circumstances. It's not like carbines only have close-range options. There are some really excellent long-range carbines with "laserbeam" recoil patterns and some of the best bulletvelocities in the game. Not sure why you'd want to use a scout rifle over that.

-Stigma
  12. SpartanPsycho

The battlerifle kills in four shots. It's not good :confused:
    • Up x 1
  13. Mitheledh

Engineers already have something unique to them. Two somethings, even. They're called AI and AV turrets.
  14. OldMaster80

I don't see how could a Scout Rifle be called "buff" for a class that already has carbines shotguns and smgs.
  15. task_master

You're right, it's not like vandal is plain better than all of those (except maybe burst carbines and acx11) at range.
  16. Anomalous Entity

Scout rifles? Hell, I think LA and Engineer should get ARs.
  17. Cyrek

Auraxium'd my HSR a long time ago; No, I don't think they should give the rifles that make the infiltrator class unique to another one. I've been using my AMR-66 these days so I think its well balanced with good amounts of ammo per magazine.
  18. Stigma

You have to be talking about pretty extreme ranges for a vandal to be superior to something like a pulsar C - and of course the carbine isn't gimped up close as a bonus.

As as I said I wouldn't see this as a problem (and I don't play that much engineer myself) - but it wouldn't see it really filling a hole. Scout rifles are for the most part the infils poor-mans attempt at having some ranged power without going full on sniper.

But hey, we are allowed to have different opinions...
    -Stigma
  19. TheKhopesh

I really feel that the battle rifles should be semi-auto scout rifle damage.
    (And I'm fine with allowing non-infils to use scout rifles.)

334 @ 15m
    280 @ 65m
    15 round mag, 90 rounds in reserve (105 rounds -a full 7 mags- total).

And keep the 600 m/s velocity.

The Battle Rifles are for classes that have no cloak.
    Where as infils can afford to get closer to their targets without being spotted even if they're right in the enemy's line of sight at +50m, so they'll be engaging the enemy at closer ranges than those using BR's.

++++Edit++++
    Just now noticed that this would be a Vandal with higher velocity.
    What the hell, why not? :D
    • Up x 1
  20. IberianHusky

LA needs ARs to make the class viable without being a C4 fairy. Engineer and possibly Medic need Scout Rifles.