Should I buy the Gauss Compact S?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by ElzitoNC, Oct 9, 2015.

1. ElzitoNC

Hello everyone,

The title just about says it all, but here is a bit more detail. I'm a fairly competent player (BR50 on my main but I've had multiple accounts over the years) and mainly play SMG infil or something similar. I saw Moukass' video on the pocket engi and thought it looked like a kinda interesting/rewarding playstyle. I play NC and have seen many people saying that the S variants are great for engi/LA. However, I've also seen many people saying thath the UBGL is now useless due to nerfs. Is it still a good option for me to buy and is the UBGL still a good attachment?

Cheers,

-Elzito
  2. Eternaloptimist

I tried it in VR training. The UB shotgun is a single shot then reload weapon....seems pretty pointless in close combat where shottys excel. I hear the grenades don't do splash damage now, or not much, so not much point as far as I can see. I've never used smoke so I don't know what to say about that. The real decider for me though was the reduced rate of fire on the S variant carbine itself - a big non-no for me. I get the best out of playing with a quick firing carbine in CQC and equipped with a fore grip plus lowering my Aimed Mouse Sensitivity from 0.5 (default) to 0.3 makes recoil much easier to handle for longer ranges. The Bandit is pretty good and the GD7F is a death hose. It all depends what style of engineer you play I guess. I'm quite aggresive - up in the front line resupplying the push,mining flanking points and helping take down, or needing to defend myself from, baddies. My selection of carbine also works well for when I feel like living dangerously and playing LA for a change. I think the S variants are interesting and fun but they don't suit my support style.
  3. ElzitoNC

Yeah. I was mainly wondering about the UBGL. I've seen many videos of engineers farming with it off of the biolab roof/in a tree or something similar but I've also seen many people complaining that it is now useless. I tested around in VR and the splash still seemed pretty decent, two hits to kill infantry with a fairly big radius although there is a "safety feature" which stops the grenade from doing AOE damage in a certain radius around the player so it isn't used as a shotgun. I was wondering if someone who has the gun would give me an idea of how often a good opportunity is presented nowadays and whether the damage is enough to "farm" infantry or if they just run away or turn and kill you e.t.c.
  4. DeadlyPeanutt

I have the S variants in all three characters.... as carbines they're ok but not great... the under barrel attachment is good for the grenade launcher mostly, and I've only gotten a few kills with that. Mostly I spam doorways with the the grenade launcher.

smoke is useful sometimes, but not often.

the shotgun is a waist of time

I would get a good CQC carbine (serpent/VX, GD-7F or jaguar) before I'd get the S variants.
    • Up x 1
  5. Joexer

Do not get the S variant. The UBGL has been nerfed. The Shottie is useless where it excels. Smoke is extremely situational. Plus the dps tradeoff is not worth it. I say no
  6. ElzitoNC

Huh. I'm not too worried about the actual carbine. I've tried it out in VR training and it sill seems.... competent. That's with a compensator + 1x scope. I'm only really interested in the under barrel grenade launcher because it seems to merit some extra adaptability. EG if I stumble across a large group of enemies I might be able to farm them with the splash damage. I've heard about the nerf but can't seem to find any details on how it was actually nerfed. Damage, range, splash damage? I basically want to be adaptable to sources on the battlefield. I also want to give this a try:

Also it's one of the only guns that looks big enough for a composite armour engineer.

Thanks in advance,

-Elzito
  7. cobaltlightning

I would say it's worth it, yeah.

Sure, it doesn't hit as fast or as hard as your normal Carbine, but the S Variants are all about trading in some of that killing potential for some extra versatility, even moreso with ammo variants.

The underbarrel options are still meh and situational, but I wouldn't write them off entirely. Smoke is situational but still useful, nades can help dig out the enemy in cover, moreso than normal grenades can because infinite ammo, and the shotgun is like a single-shot secondary.
  8. ElzitoNC

Yeah, that's what I thought because I just LOVE being able to deal with anything the enemy throws at me (or in this case majority of what the enemy throws at me) Also the slightly lower RPM + the compensator makes managing recoil and thus landing headshots many times easier IMO.
  9. Iridar51

GCS with compensator has roughly the same vertical recoil as Mercenary, so no real "easier to manage" there. You probably won't get "deal with anything" from UBGL either. It does very little damage to vehicles.

The UBGL is not so much about firepower as about utility and fun factor. Even with infinitely resupplied ammo, you probably won't "farm" anything with it. But just having a tool with splash damage and minor damage to vehicles can be useful and fun certain situations. E.g. you can finish off an enemy that hid in cover from you. And it's still OHK on a direct hit, if you manage.

As far as the weapon itself goes, GCS is at least decent. The problem is that it has the same recoil as AC-X11, a 200 damage mobile artillery. It's all fine if you use a 1x scope and a compensator, but that's gonna hurt your hip fire a lot just to make the gun usable. And at longer ranges you're still gonna feel the recoil.

This also makes HVA a dubious choice. Normally it's a no-brainer for carbines, since it usually bumps up velocity and damage by a lot, but can be hurtful on weapons with already high vertical recoil. And the velocity bonus is just 5% for GCS.

GCS tries to advertise itself as an adaptable weapon, but in reality there's only 1 viable setup for it, and it has limitations on effective range. You can't be too close, as you can barely hip fire, and have low DPS. You can't be too far, since at range recoil and velocity will not allow for acceptable accuracy. So you get a "medium range" weapon with lots of recoil and mediocre DPS.

Engies are expected to sit back behind allies and support them with ammo / fire. You can accept that and use GCS, or you can defy that, but then you'll want a more strong weapon, such as ACX for range or GD-7F for CQC, which can offset your inherent disadvantage in combat.

Final verdict: get it. It's fun and unique. I wouldn't advise spending real money on it, though.
  10. Mongychops

Honestly, unless you really want to use smoke for teamplay, I wouldn't really recommend getting it at BR ~50. The Merc is perfectly good, and very similar. The certs to buy the weapon and attachments would be better spent on upgrades rather than a sidegrade weapon. The UBGL does OHK with direct hits, but, the nerfs to; velocity, drop, splash, and resupply rate IMO mean it isn't really worth it.

If you really want to buy a weapon, you might be better off getting something that is more differentiated from the Mercenary, so the Cyclone or GD-7F for CQC, maybe the Razor for longer ranges, and then there is the NS-11C and the ACX-11 if you fancy something a bit different.
  11. RedArmy

i never liked the -S weapons. they are only good for one thing, and thats infinite grenades and annoying people with smoke. but there are substantially better performing weapons like the GD7F for NC. shotguns are fine, but as NC id just use the blitz
  12. ElzitoNC

Yeah. Alot of people are saying to buy the GD-7F first for close range engamements, however I already own the cyclone and have auraxiumed it so I didn't want to just buy another close range gun, I wanted something that would be a little more interesting. Wouldn't it still be a viable option to farm off of a biolab airpad entrance even with all of the nerfs, an AOE weapon with infinite ammo (even if it's a little slower reloading) would still be pretty good right? Maybe I should spend on something else (upgrade ammo pack from lvl 2 or buy AV turret?)
  13. Shaengar

This + Sticky Grenades. And if you want to buy a really interesting gun then go for the Archer and hunt Max units.
  14. ElzitoNC

So I decided to go ahead and buy it, I can always get more certs later on and I figured it would be an interesting weapon to use. Went right ahead and bought the underbarrel grenade launcher, compensator and 1x reflex sight. The gun seems pretty ok and I really like the alternate firing modes. I have almost no issue aiming the UBGL but when it hits someone it takes like 3 shots to kill them and they just run to cover. Any tips for this? anyway I also bought the UB shotgun and I'm using it on my light assault class. I love that thing so much. It's saved my life about 10 times already in a 1 hour play session.
  15. Iridar51

UBGL grenade does 800 direct damage, and 700 @ 0.1m - 1 @ 5m sploash damage. Splash damage applies on direct hits as well. So on direct hits, UBGL is very lethal and does 1500 damage. However, anyone standing just a couple meters from the explosion will take measly ~400 damage. So if you actually wanna kill a full health player with it, you have to aim for a direct hit.
  16. ElzitoNC

Thanks for the information. I was trying to replicate one of the pre nerf farm situations today. We were defending a tech plant and our spawn room was being camped. I broke free, took the jump pad up to the landing pads and snuck down on to one of the air pads' support arms. Chucked down an ammo pack and proceeded to bombard the enemy with grenades... and promptly watched as I got 3 or so of the "big" hit markers and then watched as they ran inside to cover. Useless. I like to think that my aim is pretty decent too. Regretting spending my certs on this gun. Anyway, so I decided to play as LA with the UBSG because I thought "Oh, I may as well get some use out of the gun. Two close range shots on an enemy medic and he still wasn't dead. *Sigh*. Are there any good spots in bases where the UBGL is actually useful? Maybe out of a bio lab teleporter spawn room to get the splash damage on the guys around the corner? But even then the splash probably wouldn't be enough to kill them?
  17. _itg

This is why it's better to cert out class abilities like the ammo pack and repair tool first. New weapons typically don't revolutionize your gameplay (except maybe getting an SMG for infiltrator). You should still be able to get some use out of the GCS, though. The UBGL should work fairly well in fights with doorway choke points. When using the UBSG, remember that you can quickly switch back to automatic mode to finish off your target, rather than waiting for the lengthy reload. The UBSG does kill in one hit, so if you failed to kill in 2 hits at close range, it's on you to improve your accuracy.
  18. Azawarau

Its the main choice for my engineer along with the archer

Being able to damage enemies hiding around corners or getting a bit of damage in before entering a room to fire can be very helpful

The gun itself isnt amazing but the utility it brings can be useful when used well
  19. Tetele

Shotgun and Blackhand are good mix i need to say,but if u are not a shotgun lover then is ur choice.
  20. Respawn

Shotgun: Haven't used it, cant speak for it
    Smoke: can be very useful for mobility support for yourself and teammates. Can help you team push out of spawn room if being spawn camped, as well as hide you + teammates to escape or enter a hostile area.
    Grenade: once you can aim this thing and lead targets well, this thing really packs a punch. It will insta-kill any enemy (except those with max flak armor or heavy shield) if you land a direct hit to the body.
    The 'nerf' done to it a while ago reduced its rate of fire (significantly) and splash damage (splash dmg wont 1h kill anymore). I feel the new slow fire rate is why you cant 'farm' with this thing anymore - the time between shots gives the enemy plenty of time to retaliate or run for cover, as you have mentioned.

Another small benefit, although rarely encountered - the grenade launcher can put a dent into enemy flash and harassers - useful for defending your turret or sunderer against those pesky drivers!

Also, the grenade launcher high alpha damage is useful against enemy MAX - I find that the peekaboo method with the grenade launcher is a much more viable tactic than trying to unload a full clip into an enemy max.
    Also, the splash damage can be useful to find cloaked infiltrators that are camping at your point!
    With more experience you will find the gauss to be a really fun weapon!
    Cheers ~