Should Headshot Bonuses be Reduced?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Slamz, Feb 11, 2015.

1. omfgweeee

^ This!!!
    • Up x 1
  2. Auzor

10%? , 5% is the first number I see online. But maybe a distinction should be made between "civilian", pistol headshots, and headshots with a military rifle.. a 7.62mm Nato from a sniper for example..
    There's been at least one case of someone surviving 2 shots in the head.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...21-shot-twice-head-ex-boyfriend-SURVIVED.html
    One "issue" with surviving bullets to the head:
    modern pistols are "insanely" powerfull.
    What was the most issued caliber "police" weapon in Europe, when pistols (as opposed to revolvers) became common?
    First, it was the .32 ACP. Also called 7.65 mm Browning. Now, of course, the energy is far, far lower. On the other hand, it is a smaller projectile; it may still fly through someone. .32 ACP could kill you, but for bodyshots it could take a while to do so.
    The original James Bond pistol, Walther PPK, was chambered in .32 ACP, because ammunition could be found everywhere.
    Such pistols could be light, relatively small (easy to carry), and of course be "easy" to shoot; less recoil than a .44 magnum.

A step up:
    .380 ACP.
    Also, .38 Special revolvers.

However, after cases of failing to kill armed criminals in a timely manner with such weaponry, (armed bank robberies in both US and Europe, at different times; also in W-Europe at least there have been communist terrorist treats now decades ago, also other organisations that you may be aware of in Spain,...)
    the quest was on for something better as standard equipment.
    9mm especially & .45 ACP became the standard (for many European countries, they took the "war" calibers, as they had ammo stockages for em anyway. Why complicate things? If it is designed to work in war, chances are it'll stop your average drunk too. along with .357 magnum in some areas (some parts of USA? )
    Now, even 9 mm is sometimes considered as the "default", and there is .40 S&W, .357 SIG, 10mm, .41 Special, .44 Special,..

Bonus issue: more "anti-flesh" rounds; hollowpoints, jacketed hollowpoint etc.
    Triple bonus: extra pressure; basically higher energy ammunition. 9mm +P+ or something etc. Pretty standard that high pressures are reserved for law enforcement & military.
    -> Chances of survival between getting shot in the head with a .32 ACP "ballpoint" or a 10mm jacketed hollowpoint are slightly different I'd wager. In competition is the better medical care available; neurosurgery. However, neurosurgery is quite pointless if a bullet just kills you before you hit the ground.

Now: back to game: are people on the ground truly dead?
    Are medics turning the dead back into living, fully functional beings with all memories intact?
    I'd offer they are merely "incapacitated". At which point the idea that it takes 7 bullets to knock someone on the ground, even with a vest, is just nonsense.

Consider this: 500 HP is the shield.
    We currently don't have shields.. sadface.
    part of the "flesh" 500 HP at least has to come from better armor than we currently have; for example better helmets.
    A 167 dmg bullet still only needs 3 headshots to kill: think of it as the first knocking out the shield (mostly), the second knocking out the helmet (mostly), and the third making brain soup.
    How "knocking out the helmet" then allows you to kill him with three bullets into his toes is nanite-magic :p.

Reducing headshot multipliers will be an advantage to the heavy primarly, and secondary to the medic.
    A bonus class: what about maxes? Atm, you can go for headshots for the x2 multiplier even on them.
  3. Pokebreaker

Totally agree.

The rest of this isn't towards you Yuukikuns, just a general rant.

For the first 1.5 years of my playing this game, I had TERRIBLE aim, and a seemingly non-existent Headshot Rate. It was so bad that I just stuck to playing medic, reviving/healing instead (Medic is a noble profession). However, after getting with a good crowd of people, who taught me how to make tweaks to my settings (gradually lowering sensitivity, decreasing FOV, Turning off Mouse Acceleration, turning on Raw Mouse Input, and a few others), I began my process of improvement. I've spent so many hours in VR training (poor practice dummies), practicing how to control the recoil of my weapons from various ranges, learning to run with my crosshair at head level (versus pointed at the ground), learning how to quickly change targets while still aiming at the head, and re-learning how to move my mouse, now that I use a lower sensitivity.

For the first three months I made gradual progress, logging in and going directly to VR training to practice and warmup (just to go to live and get smashed). As I got used to things, I was still getting beat on pretty badly. However, as I got used to the settings changes, I began to see drastic results. I developed new muscle memory, and it was paying off. I am still a work in progress, but I am extremely happy with my results, seeing where I started from.

From all of this, my ability to headshot grew drastically. I was able to win engagements no matter what class I was playing, because I am able to shorten the time to kill by shooting the head. I was able to actually do damage to those other players who are headshot machines, where before, they would destroy me without me even scratching their shield. Headshots and good aim are not an unattainable skill, they are available for anyone to harness and wield against their foes. You just need to put in the work to learn, otherwise you will jump from game to game causing unnecessary changes to accommodate your lack of desire to improve.

Amen...
    • Up x 2
  4. CorporationUSA

The spray and pray remark is a bit out there. To spray and pray means to hip fire, and I don't have any reason to believe hip fire would be a better option if there were no strong headshot multipliers.

The last point is true, and basically what I was talking about earlier when I said it would be trading aim skill for teamwork and positioning. I still believe that would be a fair trade, but I can see why others would not.