Shotguns suck

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Paltry Porridge, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Pengalor

2. Sturmwaffles

Well at least our no bullet drop amounts to something! :)
    It's a cool thing, that only really VS have. :cool:
  3. CaligoIllioneus

Everything is not fixed by twitch-aim skills. Use your brain for once, and don't engage a weapon specialized in CQC in close quarters.

You don't fight a HE tank head on as infantry, you don't hover-lolpod a skyguard as an ESF, you don't stay stationary against a sniper, so why would you want to engage a shotgun user in extreme close range and win?

You're the kind of player that wants to be able to be ambushed, turn around, and win against absolutely any opponent. If you don't get the chance to do this, "X weapon is OP"
    • Up x 2
  4. Paltry Porridge

So yes, let's make everybody use a shotgun. You also missed the point. For somebody with such awful reading comprehension, you sure have a lot of stake in assessing peoples' intelligence.
  5. c0r3

By that logic TR should just quit playing, since they spray you down with barely chance to take their shields in CQC.

Till NC get a viable comeback other than shotguns I will use mine with pride.
    • Up x 1
  6. DreadPirate

So then everyone should be forced to use shotguns indoors then? Is it safe to assume that is your suggestion?
    • Up x 1
  7. Alexander Angelos

Oh cry me a river :3 I do counter shotgunners, you just dont run into a target )))) that's all ))))

Compared to real life shotguns those are very nerfed :p
  8. Paltry Porridge

GD-7F, AR variant etc. need a buff and there definitely needs to be a CQC LMG that isn't **** for NC.

I agree 150%. However, reducing CQC to skill-less one-two shot kills within .24 seconds isn't the answer, at least not in my book.
  9. c0r3

I have but the tools at my disposal.
  10. Xind

DR shield or NMG provide you enough added durability to take a shot at point blank range. You should then be able to kill your opponent unless they surprised you.
  11. Paltry Porridge

Grats, you survived.

You now have .50 seconds, or less and you had better pray to your gods that he isn't a HA too.
  12. Nocturnal7x

I have a piston, imo its out of balance w/ an ammo pool of 38. Just leads to longer rampages. Who ever thought it was a good idea to change it was wrong. The pump shottys are BS. Conc a point, bam all 6 guys on it are dead and you OHK them while they cant even move. Instagib is lame, and in a game where everything important requires CQC? who thought that was a good idea...

Here is my proposal. Regular shottys ammo pool back to 26. Nano weave 5 should remove the OHK of the pump shotty. At least give people the chance to know they are dying, I hate dying w/ out knowing its gonna happen.
  13. Herrick

Remove all shotguns and ban NC from the forums.

Bam, game and forum quality is improved by a factor of 10.
  14. Xind

if you were surprised by another HA, you kind of failed. It's one thing to be jumped by an inf or a LA.

In .5 second you have enough time to kill them if you're equipped with a shotgun or SMG. I've said a number of times I feel like those two weapons remove the value of ARs/LMGs/Carbines, but that's the way the game is progressing. The point being HA is the only class that can survive a direct hit at optimum range from a Pump Action and any class can have an SMG/Shotgun (except inf) to dispatch this person in the time they have. If you want to kill a shotgun user, well, you have to pay attention to your surrounding and start shooting them before they close...which happens frequently. If only you could shoot an NC MAX suit to death before it closed on you.
  15. FateJH

Oh, what we could accomplish if only we didn't have boxes or walls or capture points or generators getting in the way ...
    Or if we had more indoor regions that were >10m in any direction but diagonal from floor to ceiling ...
    • Up x 1
  16. CaligoIllioneus

Shotguns excel indoors, and suck at range. They are shotguns.

Not "forced". You can kill shotgun users with other weapons, this is especially easy if the shotgun user is on the other side of the room. Also, get the drop on the shotgun user, and he's dead.

A "fair" (the two people see each other at the same time, etc) 1v1 at close range if one player has a shotgun and the other doesn't have one and the shotgun user will have a significant advantage and most probably win. What exactly is the issue here?

Biolabs is the issue. It's the only place in the game where you're forced to close quarters. It's not well designed, it's a mindless meatgrinder full of grenade spam, shotguns, and Scattermaxes. In any other situation you have a chance to engage the shotgun user at range or out maneuver him, therefore making it balanced. Biolabs is the only place where you're forced against the enemy in CQC, with very small exceptions like the roofs.

Complain about biolabs, not about shotguns.
  17. JokeForgrim

Never seen this (Shields ON), 1 pump action body shot under 2m takes them down to 1-3 bars of health. A headshot instant kills them (50% of the time) and a slugs headhot kills them under 30m. Usually they pop the shield and A D A D A D whilst hosing you down with 20 of their 200 rounds.

Heavy assault shields are meant to protect you while you attack tanks, they are not meant to be the Go-to class for anti-vehicle and anti-infantry.

Btw i am biased, I hate heavies the same way you hate shotguns. Mainly because anytime I am another class and they pop their shields I have to put another 2 clips in their head to kill them, or run and hide for 5 seconds.

Oh and did I mention that Dumb-fire rocket launchers are a 1 hit kill at any range... :\ biased much?

As for the Jackhammer, Look into PS1 and you will find out why.
  18. Paltry Porridge

Ok, let's dissect your argument here:

You think that shotguns are supposed to be the counter to the HA class.

Ok. Fine. The problem is that assuming you get the first shot before the HA can react he is already dead. The shield would have to be activated preemptively, at 100% capacity etc., which is rarely the case if you surprise one as an LA. That alone makes your argument too dependent on a condition that the opponent, specifically an HA, is immediately aware of your presence and implies that the LA made a mistake.

What if the target isn't an HA? What if it's another LA, engineer etc. who sees you immediately within 10 meters upon seeing him? That means, assuming you both have the same aim, latency and the server isn't failing, that you will both die instantly.

If he doesn't have one, he dies instantly.

In the former case, I can't call it a satisfactory FPS experience (subjective, I know). There is no real skill, technique etc. involved, since the time frame is too short.

In the latter case, it was a P2W scenario assuming that the victim was not averse to using shotguns.

That is my biggest gripe with the shotgun: It makes an already ridiculously low TTK even more ridiculous AND it doesn't require any kind of aiming as well.

You also seem to have forgotten that a shot to the head of an HA, even with resist shield, will kill him instantly from a pump action and that only ONE headshot from semi-auto leaves him at the base TTK of .24 seconds or less, better than what he can do with any weapon other than a shotgun.
    • Up x 1
  19. Sinoby

All shotguns have equal skill level required. I wouldn't say that pumps are the easiest to use - autoshotties are. Just aim at the general direction and keep the LM button pressed. I would prefer for this game to not have shotguns at all actually. But if they are present - I have to use one in CQC to remain competitive to shotgun users.
  20. Ultramarine

I disagree entirely. It's a situational weapon that from my experience, is most powerful for NC as it fills their high damage CQC niche. It might punch loads of damage and get quick kills in a 10m fight, but anything beyond that and your screwed. ESPECIALLY when every tr weapon is lethally accurate at 80m+ :p I pull out the claw only when my team is at a disadvantage and needs somebody to get in their face and push hard, it's not useful at all otherwise, just as the Guass Saw would be a terrible choice anywhere indoors as its lower damage and fire rate are worthless at long or close range, it's a mid range gun. Everything has its place, and learning what to use when is what will really define the COD style rushers and the tactical squads.
    Edit: To avoid troll response and the flamers that tend to attack this kind of thing, the TR accuracy comment was an exaggerated joke.