[Suggestion] Shotgun why not for Infiltrator?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by isilyan, Dec 15, 2012.

1. SupaFlea

The whole meaning of infiltrator is not to be a capable of close combat but the ability to defend yourself if needed and if very skilled, they added teh sniper side of things to give you the chance to kill things while a cloaker.
    Any dedicated cloaker with skill in the class would much rather have the ability to decrease or quieten the sound of cloaking and de-cloaking as that is one of the major weakness epecially since the standard cloak isnt really that great you dont really even have look that hard for cloakers compared to the original game.

If you get the bolt action sniper and a silencer on you should be able to draw on and headshot most ppl in medium to just outside close range in defence anyway. The idea behind classes isnt to make them easier to do be an effective killer with but rather making classes have some usefulness. The TTK in the game is that fast its only ever gonna come down to who is more accurate with their weapons.

That aside Infil is my 3 class but honestly to me compared to the first game, Infil is a Sniper with a few trinkets. They actually generally had use and could be devastating if skilled in their profession. In this game they are just camping snipers with predator camo you dont need them and most often would be better having a light assault or another heavy in your squad. They streamlined the game so each class has really only one way to fight rather than the several options you had in the first game. Cloakers could be a number of things, Adv hacking when hacking was useful for hacking enemy spawn vehicles and deconstructing them. Knife cloakers, no guns just the knife and a 2 hit kill, was the hardest cloaker to be but for me wast the most fun. Combat Engineer cloakers who went round with multiple version of C4 blowing ppl up. grenade cloakers, annoying as hell but effect, Pistol cloakers. so many ways to play each armour type(class), now its stripped down to this to mimic modern FPS games to draw in those ppl who happily pay the 10bucks for map packs all time hoping they will spend cash in the store.

There is no versatility in each class most of all Infil who really should just be called Scouts or Recon, besides Sniping they are mostly useless
  2. isilyan

Well perhaps i made the tread title a bit missleading:( it should have been called CQC options for the class:) And yes i saw the tube vids with the cloak animation on diffrent settings:)
  3. isilyan

Sry to say i did not play Ps1:( i was way to much into wwiionline at the time...
  4. deusex2

Except that sniper isn't going to help you at close range, where all the "infiltration" happens. And yeah, cloak is pretty useless in it's current state, which is why infiltrator needs a good CQC gun, because cloak just isn't helping to infiltrate.

Granted, there's no point even trying to infiltrate, aside from situational console hacking and turret trolling. Like you said, the game was dumbed down to draw in all CoD/BF kids.
  5. TJTwisty

As long as it is not a VS wielding the shotgun, ok. I spent SC to buy a nice shotgun, so I thought, the AS16 Nighthawk and I am unbelievably disappointed! So a Vanu infiltrator is hacking a terminal, I got behind him, literally, was my face to the back of his head and I unloaded all rounds of the shotgun (holds 6 rounds) into his backside. Not only did he not die, he turned and 2-shot killed me with a pistol! In the after shot, showing who killed you etc, not only was he not even close to dying, but only half of his shield was gone! Now how can it be possible for this to happen? Very frustrated with the state of the game. It is mostly Vanu I have the issues with, if its not being 1-2 shotted by every VS I come across, its being trapped in a spawn by VS airplanes.

I begrudgingly logged off yesterday after only playing for 8-9 minutes. After dying 17 times in a row to Vanu rocket-pod spam at my spawn points, yes I even spawned in different locations trying to get away from it, I had enough. I sincerely hope SOE brings some balance to this soon or they are going to lose even more customers, including me.
  6. Ipecac

Uh. So from this description, I think you either encountered some interesting hitreg bug, severely overestimated the range of your gun or, you know, failed to point it at the infiltrator. At point blank range (think walking up on a tunnel-visioned sniper from behind), the Barrage -- a TR shotgun with damage stats identical to the Nighthawk -- will one-shot an infiltrator if you put the barrel against his head.
  7. deusex2

... Or somebody is full of crap. VS pistol that two-shots?! Inf that takes all the shotgun ammo to kill?! I want the same stuff he's smoking.
  8. Exrage

It's a legitimate question, only reason I can come up with is it would completely make the scout rifle's intended niche as CQC weapon of choice moot. And pistols do kill in two shots, after you knife them first to completely factor out their shielding and remember that the bullet damage drop off is typically about 5m (one average room's length) before your secondary's damage is laughable.
  9. Wombat

The fully auto scout rifle is a really good weapon for the sneaky CQC inflitrator. I imagine SMG's will be about the same once they come out. Thing is, you're not supposed to be the monster at CQC you think you are, the infiltrator has to rely on stealth and surprise to be effective, and only engage one target at a time. If you want CQC abilities and the ability to engage multiples at a time, might I suggest the light assault?

C4 from roof tops, or dropping down with a shot gun and then jetpacking away can net you a ton of kills.
  10. Scorponok

infiltrators has had the shotgun before...and the results were not pretty..i would rather see them stuck to a pistol like in PS1.
  11. Liberty Cap

I had no problem with hostile shotgun infiltrators, and probably wouldn't if they came back. Having one in a friendly base made things feel dangerous and exciting. Just keeping an eye out for the distortion and opening fire was usually enough to win the fight, because of the uncloaking delay. It was better than now, just preparing for an easy kill if I hear a cloak around. Plus it was a choice between extremely close range ability and extremely long range ability.

Seriously, infiltrators are going to suck in infiltration as long as they balance the guns around the cloak and not the cloak around competitive CQB ability.
  12. altonyc

To answer the OP: When shotguns were first introduced, they were ridiculously overpowered. One shot kills, large cone of death, longer range than current. And infiltrators could abuse the heck out of it. It was really frustrating when all you were getting killed by were shotgun infiltrators. Once they balanced the shotgun, it really was balanced--even for infiltrators. I think once they shotgun got balanced I was killed by a shotgun infiltrator maybe twice, and I killed many more shotgun infiltrators than they killed me. But, the initial shotgun binge was still in everyone's mouths, so they took them away from the infiltrator.

I'd be ok with this...if they gave us something comparable. Not comparable as in two shots to kill, but as in useful at infiltration ranges. Shotguns were actually useful (as opposed to the Beamer...what a joke), but not the right solution to infiltrator CQC; no silencing option, and a little bit too fast of a TTK. That being said, the scout rifles are not quite the answer. During beta, I used shotgun+slugs on my infiltrator, and it was nice. Mid-range viability, not as good close range (kind of like the semiauto scout rifles now, but more powerful). I'd be fine with the Nyx scout rifle if it didn't have so much cone of fire while aiming down the sight.

I haven't tried the Artemis (auto scout rifle), but from what I've read, it takes a lot of shots to kill someone. Ammo wouldn't be a problem since we can hack terminals...if, you know, people didn't all destroy the terminals before we can hack them (or, in some cases, destroy them while we're hacking them).
  13. mnemon

Yesterday i unloaded ~50 shots into tr LA from ~5m with a dual AI max and did 0 damage, TR are obviously way OP!

But seriously, that was a hitreg bug, infils are the only class that has less health than normal.