Shotgun slugs

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Snaffe, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Snaffe

Howdy,

Saved up for shotgun slugs. It works great if you're like sitting and camping shooting at unsuspecting players. But in close combat it's quite the suck. I guess this is the way it's supposed to be but I'd just like to warn people slugs require some serious change in normal shotgun play and move away from close distance to like short medium. However if you're doing that you might as well just get a carbine maybe? That said, you can drop people fairly fast at medium range, but at close range it can be difficult.
  2. Rune

First i loved slugs, then i hated slugs. Now i LOVE them again. A sniper with a jetpack you say? Think of the possibilities! 2 headshots 3 bodyshots 4xScope max render distance and ownage are keywords here.
  3. Achmed20

well jeah slugs are tricky but i like em.
    you can snipe pretty well with these (~2-3 shots per player) but close range u realy need to aim well. direct appraoches are close to impossable. but on the other side, they always have been for us.

i think they are pretty well trade off. Great medium range, even better then with a carbine, but lowered close range due to the missing cone.

and yes, you can headshot dam well this way.
  4. Witchkrapht

They bring a good balance to wanting play medium range vs. short range (CQC). I like to get up close and personal, so I haven't picked them up (also using the Nighthawk Automatic Shotgun which I don't think would be very good with slugs at medium range). But, it may be worth it to pick up if I ever get into encounters where it's difficult to close distances.
  5. Snaffe

A bigger scope would make it quite different.....ahummm.
  6. 8bawl

I've unlocked the nova w/slugs and 4x scope. It is great for unsuspecting enemies, and that's about it. Even then, it generally takes 3 body shots, and after the first two land most people have the presence of mind to move around. I'm not sure if it's my low FPS, lag, or lack of aiming skill, but I CAN NOT hit (let alone head-shot) a moving target with this set up, near or far, whether they know I'm there or not. Coupled with the slugs, the Nova loses it's CC ability as it seems the slugs take the spread away. I think it's my FPS that is causing my aiming woes however, as I'm only getting a max of about 20fps in the open and it slows down to about 5-10fps in large scale encounters (I experienced a complete lock-up last night in one of the bio domes, something that has never happened on my current machine, granted it is five years old now).

I started playing as an infiltrator as I love sniping. I wanted to be able to snipe from any position (usually high ground) and wanted the mobility of a jet pack. Once I discovered the shotgun slugs allow this I became smitten, only to find out my effectiveness is negated by bad FPS/lag/aiming ability, and that somebody with a starter weapon can put me down fairly easily as a LA. The few times that I flank a squad and am left to my own devices picking targets off has been worth it so far. Once the game is (hopefully) better optimized and more of the load will be put on the GPU, my poor processor can rest a bit and I can place a targeting reticle on somebody's moving head.

p.s. I find it funny that the forums of a FPS game thinks the word reticle is spelled wrong or is not a word as it gave me reticent as the only replacement lol.
  7. Achmed20

teh slug is rather slow and you can actualy see it flying. so the farther away your target is, you have to make up for that. maybe its this why you dont hit ;)
    for the spray part, ofc it doesnt spray. its single projectile! just a dam huge bullet and pretty cool for sniping.

only problem i encounter latley is that im usualy able to fire 3 shots and then im down (one vs one). on the kills creen i see that my oponent has like 2 healthbars left which probably is the nanoweave armor enhancement (10% health).
  8. Lazaruz

Will adding a laser dot do anything significant in CQC situations? Or am I better off going with the extended mag?
  9. Ghoest

The main problem is if you put a laser on there you cant do mid range sniping because its a big flag pointing at you. So if you are planning on CQC the pellets are probably better.