Shotgun Master Race

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by SimplifiedPhysics, Dec 16, 2012.

1. SimplifiedPhysics

Why would they add CQC carbines if we have shotguns that can kill enemies in less than half the time? Things like the LC2 and the LC3 seem illogical, it takes more time to kill, thus more time staying in one area, thus being easier to be spotted.

I can see the reason why they have medium range carbines, since shotguns w/o slugs do terribly at that range.
    I do know that carbines out-preform buckshots, but then why not use slugs?

Not to be a stuck-up ******* (even though this sounds like I am...) but are there any reasons why carbines are on the same playing field, or better than shotguns?
  2. Spectre9000

I'm new, but I would say versatility and sustained combat.
    • Up x 2
  3. Chrysalis

Slugs have a **** terrible hipfire cone, especially when you move. This is why you see a lot of folks rocking the CQC carbines with a laser pointer.
  4. Ghoest

Within 5 yards - Shotgun(pellets)

10 yards to 50 yards - Carbine best slugs second best

50 yards to 150 yards - Slugs are best

Inside 50 yards a carbine owns a slug gun.
  5. SimplifiedPhysics

So... ADS?
  6. SimplifiedPhysics

Yeah, I can agree with that, but you can always close the distance with your jumpjets, unless they've seen you already.
  7. Foefaller

This is my reasoning as well. Slug shotties might be hilariously good at mid-range, and pellets devestating at close quarters hip firing, but having to pick one means you are pretty much useless at the other. A CQC carbine with laser sights, on the other hand, will be effective vs anyone not in a MAX without a pellet shotgun or underbarrel GL of thier own, and can still be given a 2x or 3.4x scope for shooting at enimies sticking thier heads out of windows or standing on the other side of the road.

Plus, if you are being the sneaky ambush-the-guys-coming-out-of-the-buildings-you're-standing-on kind of LA, you can't put a supressor on a shotgun. :D
  8. Ghoest

Well of course you can(and must) adjust you play style to a weapon. And you pick weapon that suits your play style.

But really it just comes down to different weapons are best suited to different situations.
    If you know you are doing room entry, or playing one on one tag around a building then a shotgun is a great choice.
    If you are planning to sit on a high perch and shoot people while they think they are behind cover then slugs are the best choice.
    And slugs can work fairly well in the medium range situations if you put a 1 or 2 power scope and even a laser sight helps - but mostly in the in between and unknown situations a carbine works best.
  9. aRtFuL

I think the problem with shotgun is, because there are so much outdoor areas as well as indoors, and the situation changes so fast from out to in most of the time on the fly, and in most cases you WON'T be able to change weapons on the fly (there is no guarantee that in the heat of the fight you will be near gun spawn or Sunderer), it thus becomes vey impractical to carry a shotgun in general which is only good at 1 thing and terrible at 2 others, as oppose to a carbine which is good at 2 things and still okay at 1 other.

Opportunity cost - it is a *****.
  10. Ghoest

I would not say there is "problem." Its just that you have to alter your play style significantly.

Opportunity cost, is a way to look at it. But in most cases if youre going to play that game you ought to be in HA anyway.
  11. Zaik

cqc weapon effective range -> 0-25m
    Shotgun effective range -> 0-5m

That's pretty much the difference.
  12. Wolfwood82

I see a Lynx as having an advantage in terms of ammunition. 40 rounds in the magazine rather then 10-12 with a mag extension? Sure 3 shots to kill with a shotgun but in a lot of combat, you don't have the option to really guarantee completing the job in just 3 shots. And running out of ammo means you usually die.

Meanwhile the Lynx can kill in 7-8 bullets fired in only a slightly longer amount of time, has better accuracy at point blank out to 20m while hip firing (another huge weakness of the shotgun is that it requires point blank shots), and the potential to kill at least 4 people with ammo to spare for a good scrapper.

I loved using a shotgun, but I see it as more and more of a situational crutch that will inevitably fail you. While the Lynx would serve in more situations and does the job just as well.
  13. aRtFuL

And you will be exactly right on that. In fact that is the reason why at any given moment you often see more HAs in a platoon (unless it is an armor or air platoon, in which case willb e mostly engineer) - because the transition from long range to short range is so fast that you are better off to stick with HA for utility until you die indoors, then this is when people spawn LAs.
  14. Blitzer

More like that.
  15. Wolfwood82

Maybe, but it's really hard to get into that range with a shotgun, and anywhere outside that range is based a lot on luck. Shot guns are just ineffective outside that 5m range and most combat is somewhere between 10-25m.

And I'm finding that a Lynx with advanced laser makes a damn good medium range weapon when ADSing as well as a damn good CQC weapon. Deffinately my new weapon of choice for both field and base assaults.
  16. Ghoest

If you use a shot gun much of the time you learn to make it so that you often the enemy cant engage you till point blank.
    Shotguns are good and useful weapons - but not for everyone.
  17. Wolfwood82

I use to use a Nighthawk with extended clip for CQC. Lynx out performs it in general combat and I don't think I'll use a shotgun again until they fix smoke grenades working on low end systems and I pick up smoke grenades :p It's a room buster for me, not so much a base buster.
  18. Achmed20

its not easy thats true but if you are NC, your pistol does a awesome job and picking targets 10-25m.
    and you can always go for slugs and ADS. needs some practice but it can be as affective as carbines. only problem is that it doent leave much room for mistakes.
  19. Kanzy

I just use my Shotgun when I want to cleanup the central base tower area from pesky snipers/LA and whatever other class that manages to pod land up there, they never see you coming and die fast at close range.
  20. japro

I mainly used a shotgun (NC Piston) for the last few days to get the auraxium medal for it. But now that that is over is switched back to carbine + underbarrel shotgun (the nade launcher has been super unreliant lately?) as my "default" weapon. It just works reasonably well in every situation... I have pretty much stopped using slugs in the shotgun and will use the shotgun in like pure indoor situations (biolab mostly).
    So I don't think shottys are unconditionally better.