Server transfers cannot work.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Verenz, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Verenz

I hope SOE are just teasing people about this so that they keep playing and never actually make them available.

Seriously how are these going to improve anything?.

In EU TR dominate 3 of the 4 servers (all except cobalt which I don't play on which I believe is NC heavy), how much faith does this community have in itself to believe that the most likely result of making transfers available is that a few TR from each of Miller/Ceres/Woodman leave and go to cobalt in order to create a more balanced experience.

You don't need to be a genius to see that the most likely cause of action is a lot of woodman (worst for NC) NC leave for cobalt whilst a load of TR cobalt leave for probably miller (honestly miller which used to be a TR haven has recently had evenish fights with NC but no VS in sight), VS will look up the most populous VS server and move there.

If people want to react like "if they don't put in transfers then I quit", well unfortunately I would kind of prefer it if you did. I primary NC on ceres (with a bit of woodman VS and miller TR) and it is getting pretty bad but I really don't want transfers to become available at player discretion because that would kill the server overnight. I have more faith in a striker nerf evening out pop than transfer tokens.

The only way I can see transfers working is if SOE make a "greenlight" list of *you may transfer NC from cobalt to ceres/woodman for now for 500SC* for example to allow people chances to lookout for opportunities to join their friends or move to a youtubers outfit or somesuch.

But come on, this can never work out well, please don't do it.
    • Up x 3
  2. HadesR

It would need to be controlled .. If they allow people to move willy nilly to any server then yes as you say it has the chance to royally bugger up balance rather than fix it.
  3. NinjaTurtle

All they need to do is place restrictions on where you can move.

Example A TR character cannot transfer to a server where TR already have an over population.

It is very easy to control this whilst allowing them
  4. Pella

I cant see it working. But i have to say it has to be done.

There are lots of outfits/players that want to move server currently.
  5. Phazaar

Isn't the easiest solution to change the price of a server transfer? Sure you can move your TR to easymode on Miller, but it will cost you 10000 SC... Oh, you thought your VS might be more appreciated on Connery than Mattherson? GJ for stepping up to the plate - 250 SC...

(Not sure on actual populations, just on my gut feeling from these forums)...
    • Up x 1
  6. Pikachu

I bet server transfer item will cost at least 2000 SC.
  7. Balrogos

My friend have account on diffirent server and he is playing alone :( i want play with him.
  8. Ash87

Personally I want what Phazaar says. If you want to transfer your character to a server where your side is overpopulated... you should absolutely have the opportunity to, but it should mean paying for it.
    • Up x 1
  9. Tommyp2006

As long as its paid I dont think itll.be too bad. But it CANNOT be free. If anybody played guild wars 2, for a while at launch, they had unlimited free world transfers, which made world vs world horribly one sided.
  10. Crator

Create toon on that server? I kind of agree that server transfers won't fix much but rather cause more issues. Why do we need server transfers again?
  11. NoctD

Bottom line is the game will continue to bleed players because those who are stuck on servers they don't want to be on are going to continue leaving the game.

Doesn't help that Higby basically outright lied to everyone on the availability of transfer tokens back when server merges were first done. Had they been offered up soon after those server transfers like promised, its likely the transfer tokens would have far less of an impact than they would now.

SOE has no way out of this one... and its a problem they pretty much created for themselves.
  12. Balrogos

Transfers should takes 500-1000 SC
  13. Kaesarr

If they do free transfers you will see some servers die and people ragequit.

Fire will come down from the skies and you will have unbelievable lag on one server and ghostown servers.

It cannot work.

Only server merges can work.

Better not do anything till they have hossin + amerish lattice + verify what continent lock will be.

I would like the idea of playing ALL together with ONE MEGA MULTI SERVER.

I.e. ONE SERVER = ONE ZONE (i.e. INDAR = 1 server, ESAMIR = 1 server etc etc)
  14. SwordofCyric

During which hours? I find NC on Ceres does very well for it self, winning it's fair share of alerts and being pretty balanced with TR population (with VS mostly being least, but also not by huge margins)
  15. Luighseach

They only way server transfers would work is if they are free and only allow high pop Factions to transfer to low pop factions. Anything else would be problematic.
    • Up x 1
  16. VanuSovereignty

Ever heard of Mattherson?

They offered at least one outfit the opportunity to transfer to another server in order to balance populations and that outfit declined.
  17. Crator

I have. I play TR on Mattherson. What was your question suppose to be addressing? That Mattherson has horrible population? I don't play my TR all that much but when I do it doesn't seem that bad population wise to me. Even if a server does have horrible population I'm not certain character transfers will help. They would need to merge the horrible pop server with a less horrible pop server but not too much pop server.
  18. VanuSovereignty

It's not just the population, it's the attitude. Outside of prime time the populations are generally heavily in favor of VS.
  19. PWGuy93

A game from long ago tried server transfers by group. Members had the option to leave together. Not all groups went to the same server. The result was fairly balanced.