[Suggestion] Server Merges/Transfers

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TRspy007, Mar 28, 2024.

1. TRspy007

Hi, hope everyone's doing well.

I came back to check the game out for a bit, I won't address all the issues that still persist since I left or the new ones that were added during my absence. However I'd like to request a merge or at least to open a transfer window between servers. This would involve connery + emerald and miller + cobalt.

While these discussions have been going on for years, it seems this still hasn't happened. During most of the week, the servers are quite dead, so many players have already created alts on other servers. Most connery players now main on emerald. Therefore merging connery into emerald will not really increase pop or create new issues, since as stated most players have already made the transition. It would however allow the players who used to main on connery to transfer their main characters to their new server.

In my case, I had grinded a few chars on connery, and completed many directives, and that character is now collecting dust on a dead server, while I've had to create new alts on emerald. However since there are very few players and fights online, it's become quite hard to progress as I used to before, and made certain directives quite the grind. I'm not the only player facing this, many others had invested time and money on a character only to have it stuck on a server that they can't play on anymore. This is why a merge would help players to regain access to their main characters, and become more competitive with the players that had mained on emerald. From what I understand connery has very little players and should be merged with emerald, while cobalt faces the same issue and should be merged with miller.

At the very least, allowing players a fixed window to transfer characters between servers would resolve this issue as well. And would give an excuse to send out emails to all registered users, informing them that they can transfer their characters between servers during set dates. That might remind a few people that ps2 still exists, and maybe get them to try the game out again. At the very least, those who still play regularly would be happy to regain access to their main chars.

Sorry for making this simple request so long, hope it makes sense and gets implemented soon. Thanks.
    • Up x 3
  2. Golconda

I really don't know why they still refuse to merge, there's no point anymore in having multiple servers per region and during off hours you really can't have fights anymore outside of the central map. players are quitting already due to lack of fights. what are they waiting for?
    • Up x 4
  3. melioa

Emerald is now becoming more and more like the dead sever Connery. there was only about 8 people on Connery the other day :(
    • Up x 1
  4. aversi0n

One “problem” of PlanetSide2 was and will be to the end, that it is difficult to get into AND in addition to that, is made only for male persons as target group in mind. I guess 97% of the players are men and no modification of game mechanics will ever change that. It is simply not attractive enough for women. They don’t play it, they don’t stream it, they don’t watch it, PlanetSide2 does not get their love, does not get a Twitchboost. Women prefer other games, with the result, that also a lot of men then prefer these other games as well. It’s safe to say, that PlanetSide2 is very old school in that regard. Not necessarily a bad thing, if you ask me, but you must be able to accept / afford it.
    • Up x 1
  5. Twin Suns

It’s designed for people that like to shoot and kill things. I don’t see where it’s says it’s for males only. If you’re a woman that loves the game, then that’s kick @ss. Clearly the game is designed for you. If you’re not a woman and you’re a male, then the game was designed for you…No?

Tell me what I’m missing? Please elaborate on what “feminine appeal” would be regarding PS2?

o7
    • Up x 2
  6. ZORN777

I know a lot of women who play this game
  7. aversi0n

Of course I don’t have official player statistics and you also don’t have them. My conclusion is only based on my personal online experience. There was this one Snipergirl some time ago streaming PlanetSide2 on Twitch. That’s it. Compare this to other games and see the difference. Even World of Tanks, which is roughly as old, has more streamers in general and more female streamers right now while I am writing my comment.

Please also read the thread title: “[Suggestion] Server Merges/Transfers”

During my ingame time over the years, I discovered a lot of player behaviour, which I would describe as typical male behaviour. Do you want to tell me that something like this doesn’t exist? Here is an official trailer from 2013, obviously self-ironic, but nevertheless targeted advertising.

8. karlooo

To actually enjoy or excel in this current gameplay (objective ) you'd need to fall under one of these criteria:
    -you are either on drugs
    -or have cancer diseases
    I would say this is the issue (too excitatory, needs to slow down. Your example of World of Tank, it is slower). For some reason last dev team's business model was to obtain short term profit with lack of interest in maintaining the game's integrity.
    Their valued audience was primarily veterans, who already grown to understand this game, so all changes to the game were revolving around them with 0 interest in the other types of members, including leadership roles. All about milking the last bit of money from them because probably statistically they invested the most. And it may have gone down to such levels where cheating programs where getting sold to those as well, which IMO where originally designed for content creators, but there are no content creators in Planetside 2. That may be why there's the influx of cheaters.

So, this is a complicated one that would require a mega project IMO, to not only revert all the changes and bring back game to square one but also redesign it to a whole new level because FPS COD like shooters, its going to hell, too many ways to cheat outside the game. I have heard of ability to adjust colors to see through smoke effects, I have heard off mouse scrips to counteract recoil.... You know. It would probably need to go back to old school, whatever that may be.
    • Up x 1
  9. aversi0n

It's called Oshurgate.
  10. Somentine

No it wasn't, in fact, it was the opposite; they catered to newer players, dumbed down the skill ceiling and bumped the skill floor, while not only ignoring the glaring balance issues their fotm patches were creating, but also the longstanding issues.

Patch after patch was to address the NPE, either directly or indirectly. Patch after patch was chock full of flashy and/or braindead mechanics like more explosive spam, more point and click, nerfs to mechanics vets use, buffs to bodyshot weapons, buffs to weapon handling.
    • Up x 1
  11. Twin Suns

That’s your second rant, I still haven’t got an answer to my question.

Again, Could you please elaborate on adding “feminine appeal” to PS2?
  12. aversi0n

Why do you ask at all and why do you ask me? Do you want a male person to make suggestions, what kind of things women would like to see in this game? Please read my first comment again. I have not written at all that “feminine appeal” should be added to PlanetSide2. All I did was to give possible explanations, why server population is low and tried to present some facts.
  13. karlooo

I remember there being a female in this video:

I would say girls, simply want to have fun with their collective... Current gameplay is not fun.
    And also, what may attract girls are the beautiful visuals... Like look at that.
    Currently there are many issues with performance, so no longer does the game look visually attractive but it is not possible to maintains stable performance in the objective with higher graphics I heard from many including a female from a Discord server.
    So, this may be proof that they want the visuals as well.
    (VS is a problem in this game, their projectiles are blinding)

But what was not user friendly were Implants, ASP, which mess with the consistency of the game, making it more unappealing, and the upgrades that shape your class are behind exclusivity, implants that are 0 help to newcomers are cheap (remember new players cannot choose to their liking, they need to stick to a role and specialize in it). Daily quests as well, made UI more complicating and the missions themselves were unappealing and confusing, the idea to make the players use different classes is forceful and enraging if they do not want to, or don't know how to play the class. Sanctuary, you enter it with 10 FPS, you want to get the hell out, imagine a new player in that confusing environment. Terrible first experience. Tactical slot, again messing with the consistency. Definitely as a newcomer you wouldn't feel like you are welcome here...
    These where just off the top of my head.
  14. melioa

wish they would remove Oshur and Hossin. Hossin has been a problem since its launch, and as for Oshur....that was an epic fail that should never have been added to the game.
  15. Somentine

The best implants are 90% common and usable as any class. The only issue with implants and new players is the inability to choose their starting implants (all common should be unlocked by default). Implants also add a lot to the game, even for new players.

ASP is a vet only, yes.

Sanctuary is bad, but how is this an example of 'catering to vets'?

Daily quests are actually a good thing for new players. They could be a lot better, and so could the UI, but why do you think this is catered for vets? Vets don't need certs, and very few vets go out of their way to finish daily quests, it's almost entirely newer players who benefit from it.

Tactical slot.... lol okay? You can join an outfit at BR1 and have your first tactical item in like 2-3 hours of play. Could they give you a starter item? Sure... but again, to say this is a mechanic catered for vets? lol no.
    • Up x 1
  16. Twin Suns

Again, where in the advertisement for PS2 does it say “made for males only”.

Just keep ranting. If you like shooting and killing things then the game is for you.

o7
  17. TRspy007

I'm amazed at how this thread devolved from "please merge servers" to whatever discussion this is lmao
    • Up x 1
  18. aversi0n

This thread is proof of my suspicion, there are 97% male players in this game. :D
  19. karlooo

Don't act dumb on purpose. You are not using logic. I was talking about the topic of catering the newcomers, like I don't see it one bit.
    I do not want to explain my point of view in detail right now in terms of vets, because I have a complex perspective of how they were able to manipulate the devs like toys. Maybe later. But I do have a better question.
    Why was it all added?
    ASP, Implants, Sanctuary, Daily quests, Tactical slot... Why was it added is the question? Why would we need it? Who would want it?

Just the topic of Implants, that one is interesting cause it's so simple. Common Implants are the best, sure, for one who plays the game multiple years but to newcomers they are 0 help, they will die the same way and will it'll confuse them more because they'll be focusing on it rather than the game itself, instead of their own senses (this correlates with daily mission)... And when you use simple logic... it is an upgrade to those who already have years practice and to newcomer it is 0 help.... What does the analysis show? They'll get destroyed even worse, feel less welcome, jumping around, searching for the meta, instead of just playing the game.

Daily missions, again confusing because they are not teaching the player on how to use the class. Instead, they force the player to complete stupid tasks by force, which are also not weighted out evenly. And ultimately, they are left with running around, trying to gain healing points, or ammunition drops... Everybody, even a mentally handicapped person knows what tools their class has. So, again you are focusing on completing a task, without understand the pattern, or relying on their own senses. Confusion.

I am starting to come to a conclusion that it's the visuals that would attract females for sure.
    What else in a shooter game?
    Like check out that video above. Those colors are so beautiful :D
    (ULTIMATE BEGINNERS GUIDE! - Planetside 2 - YouTube)
    And also, human company of course.

The question is what's causing performance deterioration right now? Is it the player cosmetics? I am pretty sure most of them are unoptimized. For some reason the team doesn't want their 3D designer to have a look at it and would rather want them to redesign infantry mines, C4, grenades and stupid nonsense, even after they figured out that the game cannot handle Sanctuary...
    NSO for sure caused brutal FPS deterioration based on experience I very well remember (approx. -30 FPS in normal battles)
    The high graphics currently look much worse than those from 2012. Has terrible performance as well to a point where many complain about it on different sites.

But there's plenty of other issues. Like misusing the opportunity of gaining visual advantages by adjusting graphics.
    VS has many projectiles which are extremely blinding. But realistically their mass armament of plasma weapons makes no sense. I wrote about it some time ago but maybe later not now..
    The state of the game itself. Disease like excitatory. Many topics to add into account.
  20. Twin Suns

Ladies and G E R M S, I rest my case.

Happy Hunting! o7