Server latency annoyance

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mr. Thoughtful, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Mr. Thoughtful

It's never been a problem for me or it was just barely noticeable, but now things are different in 48-96 and 96+ fights. On cobalt server ping 60-86 and server latency 80-133. What's going on? More and more reports from players about server latency issues this month. It's nothing to do with hardware right? I have i7 4790k 4.0 Ghz 16Gb RAM GTX 970. I noticed the problem since i started using a mechanical keyboard, but surely this has nothing to with it.
    • Up x 1
  2. Mr. Thoughtful

3. FateJH

PlanetSide 2 doesn't use TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) which requires send and acknowledge packet pairing. It used UDP (User Datagram Protocol), which is more blindly hopeful that the other party gets the packet sent - it doesn't ask for or care about being acknowledged. Unless one of those DWORDs also has auxillary effects on UDP communication ...
  4. Mr. Thoughtful

There has to be a way to disable the udp flood from router settings, but it seems a bit complex.
  5. Mr. Thoughtful

So disabling UDP is impossible from router settings, great. Another way could be knowing and setting the port ranges of planetside 2 and i don't know them.
  6. Eternaloptimist

Lag hitches have been a thing for me since construction came in, also about the same time I upgraded to windows 10. Not sure which one is the cause but it is better some days than others. It got less noticeable after the last maintenance downtime so I'm guessing it is the game servers (I play on the EU servers).
  7. Stigma

TCP packets work by sending a packet of data, and then the recipient is supposed to send an "ACK", basically meaning "ok, I received #231432" for example. You need this to load data reliable, because if you try to download a file and 1 out of 1000 packets get lost over the network then that file won't work at all most likely. Packets that get lost are therefore controlled and then sender can send them again if the recipient never acknowledges receiving it.

UDP is essentially the same, but it is just assumed that packages are received ok. There is no check/guarantee. Pretty much all games use UDP rather than TCP.
    But why - isn't TCP just better? In most cases yes, but in gaming delay is very important. By the time the sender can figure out that the recipient never got a certain packet - that packet is now so old (and out of order) that sending it again later is kind of pointless. By that time we have already gotten many newer packets with more up-to-date information to use, and it is much better to just interpolate the missing information using those.

So basically, for gaming (and many other types of low delay streaming information) ACKs aren't useful.

The trick in the link is just a tweak that makes windows not send ACKs in bulk, but rather as soon as possible. PS2 doesn't use TCP - so this won't affect it at all. I don't know if WOW uses TCP either... I kind of doubt it. In any case - even if it did, sending ACKs with less delay should not result in any lower latency to the server since it is just a receipt. It might look like it improved something if the latency is somehow calculated based on the ACK response time (not a good method), but that would just be an illusion.

Long story short: it is pretty normal for the game server latency to be a bit higher than the network latency during big fights (in PS2 at least). Big fights stress the server more, and there is probably some level of dynamic load balancing involved on the server side to make it scale performance to accommodate very large fights.

-Stigma
    • Up x 1
  8. ZDarkShadowsZ

Glad to see another person having the same problem as me. It feels really hit and miss with who it's affecting and who it isn't. Doesn't matter how long I play, whether it's 15 minutes or 2 hours, sometimes I'll be playing and then suddenly my server latency is through the roof.

More and more people are complaining about medkits being broken and I'm definitely feeling like there's a huge connection between server latency and the the timing on when players have used them. There have been so many times where my consumables have been eaten up by the world, not just medkits but claymores and sticky grenades just vanishing after I throw them and my friend has said the same. It's very frustrating when it happens, especially if you're killed through something that is out of your control.
  9. customer548

- Hit reg going wtf,
    - some clicks being ignored when opening fire (the worst was the Flashes weaponery issues a few days ago..but it seems to be solved atm),
    - this strange but familiar feeling of "something is wrong, i HAD to hit for sure",
    - getting 3 shot from other guys while you sometimes (regularly) have to unload a half or full clip,
    - being unabble to hide in quick ways at cover (because it's too late...like always too late),
    - opponents suddenly appearing from nowhere and shooting at you (you have Infi radar, your mini map was clear 2 seconds ago and their implants are random ones )...
    "Welcome to Cobalt".

I don't usually dislike to whine. But there's something really wrong going on since 2 or 3 weeks with this server.
    Cobalt had issues of that kind by the past too.
  10. Moridin6

yeah ive been having issues also, except yesterday, yesterday everything ran smooooth and i was in ps2 love all over again