Sensor Shield implant

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by m44v, Jul 16, 2013.

1. m44v

2. RomulusX

I'm ok with it, as long as when you fire your weapon you appear. If it's silenced then you remain invisible. Ok by me. Don't nerf it into oblivion
  3. K2k4

But this removes the functionality of our sensor dart...
    • Up x 3
  4. Lazaruz

Personally I'm more worried about the implant that spots enemies automatically if you take some fire... So much for good sniper spots.
    • Up x 3
  5. Rudmed

But we can drop people in one shot right? .....Oh wait a minute, we can't. Then we have the EOD HUD, which acts like our new suit slot,in the infiltrator update, makes me kinda go, "Really?" Well, I hope that one person can't have more than one implant.
    • Up x 2
  6. m44v

but cloak removes the spot mark.
    • Up x 1
  7. Get2dachoppa

True, but any enemy with an ounce of awareness will see the mark appear and disappear and think "Infiltrator!" I hunt down enemy snipers that don't use suppressors all the time just looking for those temporary blips on the mini-map that give away their position. Even better is when one careless sniper leads you to a nest of them for several easy kills.

The sensor shield is exactly what I wanted, now I'm just curious how much they will cost and how long they will last.
  8. Rohxer

Test forum list:

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/implants-in.141221/

I don't like them unless there's significant restrictions, as a lot of them (most in fact) seem to intrude on the infiltrator class the most.

Sensor shield: circumvents our class's premier tool.
    Awareness: nerfs our suppressed weapons, both sniper and CQC. Even with cloak we pop up for a second for all to see.
    EOD HUD: nerf to our mines.
    EMP shielding: nerf to our grenades.
    Enhanced targeting: potential nerf to snipers? (increased targeting range? - Not sure about this one, depends on what it does).
    Thermal reduction: intrudes on an ability something that currently only infils can do (hide from thermal).

Some of the things in the linked list seem like they should be class-restricted. If not, then they need some limitations (one at a time? expendable high cost?).

I like the idea of implants, as long as they don't step on the toes of class-specific abilities. I'd love to be able to use some of them, but I hope they keep them class-ability-neutral.

ETA: Some more screenshots were just posted on the linked thread - apparently you can only equip one per class. I think I'm ok with that, just wish the majority of them didn't counter or grant infiltrator abilities which currently seems to be the case.

ETA 2: Is there any CQC infiltrator who _won't_ get Sensor Shield? Seems like a no-brainer.
  9. Collapse

I don't have a problem with an implant that reduces the effectiveness of an aspect of the game. However, when you allow them to directly counter/nullify something I think that's going too far.
  10. Jkar

The sensor shield shouldn't counter movement detection just scout radar. Infiltrator already has too little to do and now the little support they can provide will be reduced even further. Perhaps it's time to argue for raising the personal shield to 500 like every other class because infiltrators are getting pushed into a pure combat role more and more.
    • Up x 1
  11. m44v

I'm not too fond of it nullifying the recon tool either. Unlike scout radar, there are ways of limiting the sensor dart's detection.
  12. bebbly

If they could bring back the old emp effects. the emp implant would be awesome. run in drop it without worrying about being caught in the blast.
  13. Dr. Euthanasia

Let's be fair here. Nobody except the people carrying EMP grenades is ever going to take an implant specifically designed to counter EMPs. Doing that, however, actually sounds like a really good idea.

Anyways, Awareness is definitely the biggest offender here. Sensor Shield is both good and bad for us, but the ability for enemy players to automatically spot us when we kill them due to their lack of actual awareness is just ridiculous. It's easily going to be one of the most popular implants, and it's going to completely obliterate the only benefit silencers provide. People already refuse to equip silencers because of their existing disadvantages anyways.

...Well, at least I use the Commissioner.
    • Up x 1
  14. Rohxer

Yeah, likely true. And in fact I'm looking forward to trying this out.
  15. Aimeryan

It is a shame they are not going for a more interesting solution regarding the sensor shield. I would prefer something along the lines of the implant reducing the effectiveness of the radar by making the radar only detect someone with the implant at a much closer range. In addition, the implant could give a HUD warning about the presence of radar in the area and whether or not it is currently affecting you.

This would mean using the recon dart (strategically) to help with infiltration would be less (or not at all) affected because the only enemy of significance would be those close to the infiltrator's route. It would also help the infiltrator avoid the problem of sensors themselves in a skillful (rather than completely passive) manner.

Again, it is a shame they are not going for a more interesting solution (if needed at all) regarding the awareness implant. I would prefer something along the lines of the implant helping people nearby the person affected also know the general direction of enemy fire. They could do this by having a small template at the feet of the friendly target (that only other friendlies can see) that displays the incoming damage direction - much like the current HUD feature does for the player themselves. Imagine the HUD damage indicator feature projected on to the floor around the player.

This would make the element far less punishing to snipers and players trying to keep themselves hidden, while providing the implant user's allies with an idea of in which direction they should use cover.
  16. Ripshaft

I am strongly against the sensor shield, it nullifies the use of sensors, which up until this point in the game have been something we can rely on as a effective combat tool. Maybe it only hides them from radar type sensors while they're stationary, that could maybe be acceptable, but I just dont like this idea at all. I really hope this one does not make it live, once something like this is introduced it would be extremely difficult to take it out.

Edit: well, maybe not extremely difficult, since they could just pull it off the market (provided you cant stockpile them to any large degree), but it's something best avoided if at all possible.
  17. Camatoo

The only implant which i would buy is the thermal implant. Near every well certet vehicle got a thermal vision on his weapons. So, with a supressor on our BASR we are a little more invisible to ESF and there lolpods.
    The sensor shield is realy annoying, i think everybody will buy this. I dont know if you blink up at the minimap if you fire your weapon, but i hope so. Otherwise this implant is pure OP.

i totally agree with Dr. Euthanasia about the awarness implant. I mean...why the **** do i use a supressor on my BASR if its not necessary because everybody who i kill will automaticaly see where im hiding. And with the great NW buff, we can only effective sniper at a distance around 100m. So our target will just grab a HA or Counter Sniper and hunt us down within a few seconds.
  18. illgot

True but we also do not know how this implant auto spot works. Does it only show the user your location or everyone. How many times do you think you can allow yourself to be auto spot with this implant and recloak before someone notices your blinking on their mini map or big red kill me dorito blinking on the hillside?

And how will anyone with a silencer function if they are constantly being auto spotted every time they fire their weapon.

What about engineers hiding from the enemy but using AI mines trying to guard a generator?

The auto spot implant is a complete game changer.
  19. Valena

Fixed this for you.
  20. Nyscha

Cloak removes the spot but it doesn't prevent you from rendering late on peoples computers with bad internet/graphics.
    My friend can see people for like 1/2 seconds after they've stealthed on his calculator.