Sensor dart for crossbow

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Epicstrat, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Epicstrat

SOE when this gets working you realize you took recon darts and gave them to every other class in the form of a secondary weapon. This is why I said crossbow should either be a primary weapon or be specific to infiltrator. Making grey areas like this kind of devalues the whole point of having separate classes.
    • Up x 2
  2. Rasui

Do we even know that it's a sensor dart at this point? Because from my testing it currently does nothing.
    • Up x 2
  3. Xebov

Like Rasui said its currently unknown if its a sensor dart or not. Even if its a sensor dart there shouldnt be a problem, im sure it would be even or weaker compared to level 1 recon tool, so Infiltrators allways are the better option. Better wait until it gets fully implemented with one of the next Patches so we can see what it actually does.
  4. BloodyPuma

There is a good point - we dont know, so we cant start argues.

But there also another valid point:

Since everyone will be able to buy it, SOE will not "post mortem" strip customers of functionality. Its not damage reduction, sway or no drop. Its precise function.

Better ask question now and not after live release - it will be too late.
  5. Acceleratio

AH well we still got that recon drone to spott .... wait 8[
  6. Xebov

Thats a good point, but im sure we will se another iteration on test that will include the implementation of the ammo, so we see what tehy are going todo befor shipping it.
  7. ISKNausicaa

We have enough radars in the game right now
    • Up x 2
  8. Cromell

Even IF it really is a sensor dart I don't see a problem. You essentially give up your secondary slot to have a gimped version of infiltrator's recon tool. It WILL be useful but also it will reduce your firepower quite a bit. That is a nice compromise to make.

Nonetheless I think we will see most people running with explosive ammo simply for the ability to pester tank drivers, finish off burning vehicles (oh how many times did you find yourself standing next to a burning sunderer with no rockets left? :D) etc.
    • Up x 1
  9. Tenebrae Aeterna

...you give up the Commissioner or Underboss for a silenced sniper rifle with anti-vehicle and anti-infiltrator capabilities. Sure, the previous two pistols are faster than the Crossbow, but the latter comes with a scope and two types of specialty ammunition...it's hardly a gimped Recon Tool.

No, this weapon should be Infiltrator specific or tweaked drastically.
    • Up x 2
  10. Cromell

Yes, but you EITHER get the dart OR AV gun OR secondary sniper. And overall, most people will prefer a normal pistol because secondary guns are that much useful in a pinch.

To be fair I do agree with you that it should be tweaked, especially the explosive bolts damage against vehicles. And I am not against making it exclusive to infiltrator, though I don't really see myself using it on any other class except the LA.
  11. Tenebrae Aeterna

I'm perfectly fine with making it available for all classes, but the thing needs some heavy tweaks if that's going to happen; as it stands, it's a silenced bolt-action sniper rifle against Infiltrators. Ultimately, it's a sniper rifle all around...and that's excluding the specialty ammunition.

If they're going to make it available to all classes, it needs to be a semi-automatic and deal much deal less damage with a larger magazine size. Then, they can give class specific ammunition...it makes sense that a Heavy Assault would get those explosive rounds, just as it makes sense that an Infiltrator could get those detect rounds. Other types of bolts could be provided to the other classes...but this is something that's probably going to be pretty difficult to balance.

The Detect Darts should, essentially, spot a target shot with them just as Scout Radar would. For the duration of the effect, the target is on the radar no matter what they're doing...stationary or otherwise. This ensures that they're fundamentally different from our Recon Tool, superior even...but probably last much shorter durations of time.

Ultimately, it would give every class a silenced semi-auto pistol with optional specialty ammunition that's class specific.
  12. m44v

If is indeed a sensor dart then I'll just flip the table and play light assault, **** the infiltrator class.
    • Up x 3
  13. Xebov

Latest Patch added the missing functionality. The Sensor Bolts are Sensor Darts with a lifespawn of ~15s.
  14. Sworaven

It's a bad idea to give every class the option to run with sensor darts, even if they are weaker compared to the sensor darts the Infiltrator has.

People already complain that we're a killwhore - class, who only lonewolf. Sensor darts are one of the few things that actually give an Infiltrator the option to feel part of a team, a squad. Don't take that away from us and make it available to every class. Please?
  15. Plague Rat

It might be something they limit to specific classes down the road. Most of this stuff is still first iteration, so who know. I did notice that when they talk about the crossbow they made a point to differentiate between the 'infiltrator' crossbow and the holiday ones.

But in any case, I think an important point also is that the sensor dart does next to no damage. Like 4-5 headshots just to get through standard infantry shields. You'd essentially be sacrificing your secondary to be able to use this.

Anyone know the detection range? I'm patching my laptop so I can 2-box try to test it out, but if anyone knows already I can save myself the effort.
  16. Astraka

Can anyone say Engineer + Recon Dart Crossbow? Infinite darts without the extra person.
  17. Plague Rat

Just posted this in the other thread about this, but to make sure everyone is aware.

The scanning radius is only 10m
    The scanning pulses are roughly 3 seconds apart.
    Should you shoot someone with the detection bolt it only does about 100 damage.

Not a game breaker. Pretty sure infi recon is safe.
  18. MGAMIKA

As Plague Rat said. However if you feel that threatened, just make it that the recon bolt is only available when equipped on the infiltrator...
    Why did no one think about that?? (Tenebrae Aeterna, said something similar I must admit).
  19. m44v

So is way worse than the rank 1 of recon dart, now I wonder that's the point of putting something that is beyond useless, just don't add it!
  20. Plague Rat

Nah, it still works in a defense roll. Off to top of my head, you could stick it at a chokepoint or building entrance, as it's still a means of detection when not every angle can be covered. Beyond that you can use it to keep an eye on your surroundings while you sabotage a generator. The icon pulses when you do that anyway so the scan wouldn't give you away any more than that does, but it would let you know who's coming for you and from where.

I think it'll be fine for the people that want that kind of thing off the infiltrator class, but it's certainly not going to be the optimal way to get the job done.
    • Up x 1