[Suggestion] Semi-auto Scout/Sniper Rifles and Bullet Velocity

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by pnkdth, Feb 18, 2017.

1. pnkdth

Mid to long ranged weapons with the bullet velocity of a standard carbine?

What gives? Semi-automatic weapons are generally considered fairly bad(high TTK) why make it such a pain to lead targets as well, i.e. making them hard to use effectively at their optimal range. I mean, even ARs and LMGs tend to have a superior bullet velocity and leading a full automatic weapon is far more easy.

I know, tap fire, don't spam BUT you need to have next to perfect accuracy to even to get close to effectiveness of the TSAR, SAS-R, Ghost at, again, its optimal range.

• My suggestion would be; 600m/s for TR/NC/NS and 570m/s for VS. Not a big buff but enough to take them out of "PULLING YOUR OWN HAIR OUT"-frustrating territory.

It is a minor issue in the grand scheme of things but a major quality of life update for those who enjoy semi-automatics. It is also an incredibly easy thing to actually implement and cements their role more clearly as a mid to long range weapon. No increase in damage or anything, just make it less frustrating to use at range.

I know, I know, the devs have a plan which is why I'm not asking for some massive balance pass.
    • Up x 3
  2. ColonelChingles

You think it's bad for rifles... tank shells have been ridiculously nerfed and reduced to relatively short-ranged weapons. Tank shells are supposed to travel much faster than sniper rifle rounds after all!

[IMG]
  3. UberNoob1337101

O rly now?

Semi-auto scout rifles have the TTK of ~0.48s, meaning that they out-DPS almost every mid-long range weapon and compete with most CQC weapons.

If you're suggesting a sizeable buff to scout rifles, then reduce the rate of fire to something reasonable.
    I think that the Semi-auto scout rifles are supposed to trade effectiveness at optimal range for much better versatility, and IMO they're both similar in quality.
    I'm perfectly okay with this and I think it should be done, but only buff the ES ones. There's no reason why you would use a ES scout rifle/semi-auto sniper over the Vandal, because it has massive benefits for no downsides currently (unless you want to consider 30 m/s slower velocity and 0.7s longer reload speed big downsides).

Also, buff the low-zoom semi auto sniper the same way while you're at it, for the same reason you want to buff the scouts. Practically no one uses that gun.
  4. UberNoob1337101

Yeah sure, maybe when bullets can OHK vehicles and I can throw C4 as an instantly detonating boomerang :rolleyes:
  5. ColonelChingles

Why should a bullet OHK a tank, and why should C4 do anything to a tank at all? IRL, both those devices don't do anything significant to tanks, while tanks still have the velocity advantage because they carry around big guns with giant shells.

In order to properly balance PS2, it needs to be more realistic. Infantry are simply far too powerful, as the current velocity already shows. It's extremely biased.
  6. UberNoob1337101

I'd actually love that, I could carry a Javelin (maybe with a team), lock-on to a tank, OHK it and melt armor zergs!

Or fly around in a A-10 Warthog and kill a whole load of tanks! (albeit not a whole lot of post-Cold War ones).

Or shoot tracks of tanks and disable them!

Oh wait, by "make the game more realistic" you mean "Only implement realistic things that I'd like to see"... oooooh.
    • Up x 3
  7. pnkdth

I should have specified realistic TTK versus theoretical TTK. My bad.

Agreed on the sniper rifle semi-auto(also included in title).
    • Up x 1
  8. Crayv

Ah yes the "realistic" tanks that cost less than 10 grenades and can be repaired from nearly destroyed to good as new in seconds by a magic glue gun.
    • Up x 2
  9. ColonelChingles

I've actually advocated for all those things... well, except the Javelin one, which is made obsolete by modern tank APSs. :p

So long as infantry are free, then tanks are already infinitely more expensive than they ought to be.
  10. The Rogue Wolf

You're absolutely right. In real life, vehicles don't have invisible floating cameras that give drivers a real-time unrestricted view from outside. For the sake of realism, the third-person camera has to go! :D
    • Up x 3
  11. ColonelChingles

You might be surprised to know that the truth can be stranger than fiction. ;)

The latest T-14 MBT, for example, has a problem where all the crew are inside of a protective bubble... they can't stick their heads out to look around. The T-14 in fact does allow for 360 degrees of view for the crew via HD digital cameras. A future upgrade to the T-14 has been to possibly implement "look through" functionality like that found on fighter jets, where the crew can essentially see through the walls of their tank. As the T-14 currently exists, its view is actually better than what PS2 MBTs have, because it has 360 degrees of vision as opposed to the ~90 degrees that a Vanguard or Prowler can have.

Beyond that, the T-14 is to be equipped in the future with its own reconnaissance drone, which allows the crew to be aware of threats behind walls and buildings. If necessary, the drone could just fly in back of the tank and provide a PS2-esque 3d person view. Not really needed though, because of the superiority of the 360 degrees of view the T-14 already has.

In fact, we, as in common civilians, already have access to 3d person views on our vehicles... a simple camera on an antenna works well enough:

[IMG]

It just takes a composite view from a series of cameras and pieces them together. Pretty close to what we have in PS2 already, and that's not even military grade stuff.

So really 3d person cameras in PS2 need to be buffed to be made more realistic.
    • Up x 2
  12. Campagne

And here I thought I might have enjoyed this thread.

How wrong I was.
  13. ColonelChingles

What can I say? This game is apparently designed and played by people who are extremely uninformed about modern tank technology, and how horribly biased PS2 is towards infantry.

So long as that's the case, I absolutely need to speak my mind whenever I can to try and create a balanced game where a single tank can crush a platoon of infantry.
  14. EIMR

Yep. I don't know about tank shells, but semi-auto scout rifles need to be improved. The Vandal's ****** muzzle speed is incredibly frustrating.
    • Up x 1
  15. Campagne

Next time, say nothing! Start you own threads about the topics instead of derailing them with the very first post.

The topic isn't even about most infantry weapons, just a very specific type, all but one of which are limited to a single class.
  16. customer548

Devs definitly should create a subforum dedicated to Vehicules Only.
    No offense, but it's a bit boring to see pro vehicules and anti infantry rants popping in almost each Infantry threads.
    • Up x 2
  17. Campagne

There was one, once.
    • Up x 1
  18. pnkdth

Could you make a separate thread on vehicle weapons, please.

Hijacking threads and going completely off topic is not very good forum etiquette.
  19. pnkdth

Exactly, it is counter-intuitive when all mid/long range weapons on other classes of infantry weapons have a bullet velocity around 640m/s yet a specialized class of weapons, literally, fall short and have around 100m/s less velocity.

It is also such a simple change and would bring them more inline with other mid/long range weapons.
  20. ColonelChingles

Yes, another sign of the pro-infantry bias that is absolutely killing this game.