Screw trying to play a engy outside!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SikVvVidiT, Jan 2, 2016.

1. SikVvVidiT

I'm going to keep this short and to the point. Seriously Planetside 1 had made engineers useful and spoiled me.. Being able to put out multiple, up to 10 spitfire turrents, donw to the silly useless one we have now, that are not even as potent as one Planetside 1 spit is a joke.. Being able to put up 10 mines and now you give me the ability to put out 3? What a freaking joike.

The turrent coffins are more then a freaking joke as you will be one shot within 10 seconds of sitting behind one by 30 snipers..

This game is a freaking rip of Planetside 1 except the weapons are watered down.. Why now come out with your own stuff devs? Why rip off Planetside 1 but then not do it right... Ant's, AMS's shields, Empire specific HA weapons? All watered down versions of what PS1 did and did well..

We wont even get into the lattice which made no sense to have in this game if you didn't have NTU's and ANT's.... How comical is that circus you are running over there.. Next time get developers that actually played the first version before you try to make the second... Might turn out better for you!

/rant off

But you seriously do not know what you are doing!
  2. Azawarau

Well you can place up to 5 mines

Spitfires are ridiculously handy but require you to place them intelligently

If you set up a turret with the intent to camp or have no counter then youre looking for the wrong kind of gameplay. If you set yourself out in the open and die then you were asking to die

I main engineer and go running from base to base more often than i really should while holding only an archer and Desperado and have less to complain about that this
    • Up x 1
  3. CNR4806

I am pretty certain engineer is the most used class between bases.

.... It's just that most of them are sitting in tanks and Sunderers.
  4. Eternaloptimist

I main engineer and being out in the open is pretty dangerous compared to combat in bases but then, I don't stay still when out there which reduces the risk.
  5. Diilicious

engineer is BY FAR the most useful class in the game. if respawns werent so fast, or so close to the objective, medics might take that spot, but they arent, so .. they dont.

i can do EVERYTHING important the other classes can do besides the very minor gimicky things, cant jumpjet, no overshield, no cloak, no resurrection.

I can repair and restore all world objects.
    I can shoot people with INFINITE rockets without being a heavy.
    I have infinite ammo just in general.
    I can give all other classes infinite ammo too.
    I can place machinegun turrets which give me way more firepower than any other class if placed correctly
    I am the defacto best class for vehicle use across the board (besides maybe flashs but they suck so w/e)
    I can place the most AV mines.
    I can place the most AI mines.
    I can carry the most C4.

the only thing that Engineers cant do as good as any other class by theirself is AA, burster max is better.
    • Up x 4
  6. SikVvVidiT

Like I said I have started Planetside way back in 2003... So I'm an used to all classes being useful outside, and not just in vehicles..

And to the poster that thinks spits are useful you have no clue what your talking about... Planetside spits where useful.. And they were cloaked so any body in the world could shot at one that poses no threat.. Add that to the fact that you could place about 10 of them and you had your own personal little army defending stuff..

The spit we have now is a complete joke and a slap in the face of Engineers today...Just like the Jackhammer, MCG and Lasher's are today. Anyone that has played PS1 knows what I am talking about.

At least allow us to put up more then one of these cheap watered down versions of the originals or allow us to
  7. SikVvVidiT

Have a Planetside 1 Engineer go out it with 5 Planetside 2 Engineers and watch the second watered down versions get slaughtered... I was always under the assumption that the second version of something was the improved version, but with this game it is not the case.. Only thing that got improved on was the game engine... The gameplay is horrible compared to PS1, I wish you guys had a chance to play it..

And btw in Planetside 1 Engineers had AA spitfires... Oh look another point for PS1 engys...

Since these devs want to just redo everything that was in PS1 (although with their own little watered and ate up spin) why don't they make us a real class and not this crap we have today... Most of you guys never played PS1, so I don't expect you to understand where I am coming from. You had pork chops your whole life, I actually had some damn steak before!
  8. Crator

The devs changed the philosophy behind the game design from PS1 to PS2. The main objective in PS2 was to make combat more fluid and quicker to get in to. In comparison, PS1 gave players more time to prepare and attack. IMO, that's the main reason why you see these differences, along with many others, between PS1 and PS2.

In regards to engineers deployables, It might also have something to do with amount of objects in the world. Putting that many, along with the amount of players allowed, would cost too many system resources.
    • Up x 1
  9. Reclaimer77

It doesn't take any skill to deploy Spitfire turrets. Sorry I don't think deploying bots should make you uber or give you your own "personal army". If you want kills, pick up your gun and fight like a man.

PS1 had some many fine aspects, I agree. Not sure being able to deploy 10 turrets is something we need in PS2.
  10. Moridin6

flank, drop mines, drop beacon, redeploy
    drop turret. drop tanks, redeploy
    drop ammo, drop turret, drop nades and c4 all over the enemy, take point
  11. asmodraxus

How to use an engie outside against ranged targets.

1) never use turrets unless you want to see the respawn screen, YOU ARE sniper bait, place turrets YES, use them HELL NO
    2) Anti tank mines are your friend
    3) AI mines if NC/VS and randomly placed are useful but largely a waste of tine, if your TR place inside of doorways
    4) Ammo for AV nests (max or heavy), and use an Archer and shoot at what ever the AV nest is, DON'T try and play sniper duel, you will lose even against an Semi Auto Sniper.

Against close/mid range targets

1) see above
    2) Anti tank mines are useful against max units
    3) see above
    4) use a mid/close range carbine instead.

Turrets are only useful in covered areas and even then you are still sniper bait/infil/flanker bait.
  12. Liewec123

what the... you're doubting the power of engies outside?
    AV mana turret says hi. ;)
  13. ConradHorse

The most... the most...
    [IMG]
    The most... C4... ?

Wow I was playing HA only because not realizing the fact that engie can carry more anti-tank stuff :D

Now you're telling me this? xD After I auraxiumed HA armor ?:D All these days I've played HA because I thought it's the only clas capable of taking down a shield sundy? xD

NO WAY! xD

Tested yesterday the C4 chain and explo crossbow :D AV turret was not even needed:D

And you know what... it's the first time ever in my BR 86 to have kill streaks on infantry a few times in a row! I finally started moving instead of hiding behind that slow Nanites mesh LOL BRILLIANT! I'm investing in engie skills now!
  14. matt0027

I play engineer, according to some stats site, 93% of the time. BR 59

If you upgrade to the Utility Pouch, you can put down 5 tank mines. If you want, you can go back to a weapons terminal, get 3 claymores, and the five tank mines will remain, for a total of 8 mines. I do that quite often, especially in tower base defense. Claymores around points, and tank mines for any hot shots who try to rush a sunderer or other vehicle into the tower.

If you really want to go balls to the wall on explosives, you can go back and get 4 bricks of C4, for a total of 12 deployable explosives.

I didn't play PS1, but to me, putting down 10 spitfire turrets seems pretty ridiculous. We're supposed to be fighting one another, not relying on game AI to do it for us. I haven't unlocked the spitfire yet, but I do appreciate it when someone else has, as it's a good warning system for detecting enemy players.
  15. jmdafk

I do empathise with the OP re getting snipped.
    There are to many snipers in the game and often the second you put a turret down your dead. Infact given the second you stop moving for 1 milisecond anywhere you get sniped its a wonder you can even place a turret.

It does mean turrets can only usually be used for camping specific spots (70% of which are in spawn rooms!)
    And of course the AV turret is probably the easiest way to kill yourself in the game. A well placed one is lethal, but there are precious few of those places on Auraxis, and even then your dependent on nobody noticing you.
  16. Daemonn

One thing people are forgetting... There were no classes in PS1!

Your soldier was customized how you want, and it was so much better than having classes. I don't know why they chose to follow every other FPS with classes while PS1's classless system was working and wonderful.

You could throw a chaingun on a light armor loadout, grab a skeeter and bail over a tower... Chaingunning unaware NC scum until the whole tower comes after you.

Class system sucks and only limits the potential of what players can do. But sadly its too far gone now to change that. Plus the mouthbreathers on PS4 would have a meltdown if they had to actually spend time planning and making loadouts and organizing inventory space etc... It would take away from them uploading videos from Sharefactory spamming C4 everywhere.
  17. JohnGalt36

Why are you outside as an infantry player? The only reason to ever play infantry is to take point. Drive or fly between bases, destroy the defenses, get out, and take the base.
  18. oberchingus

Planetside 2 is not Planetside 1. The lore is there and sometimes there's a connection between something released in PS2 which happens to be related to PS1. PS2 is a completely different product, different beast, different experience. Till people realize that and adapt, they'll always have these experiences. The ANT is coming yes, but it is based on PS1 lore and the goal of adding fun tasks for players to do in PS2. It's PS2 with PS1 ideas in a PS2 universe. Not Team Fortress Classic, or Team Fortress 2, or Battlefield 1942-4, or Quake or Arena, or CS to CSS, or DoD or Far Cry or a Tom Clancy re-enactment. It's Planetside 2.